Martial art for fat beginner with minor heart issues

Mar 15, 2003
Title basically says it all-37 year old fatty, get winded easily and don't want my heart to explode(but willing to push myself within reason) . Primary goal is self betterment and structure, I don't really need it for self protection

Reactions: DigDog

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think Tai Chi is famous for being low impact/safe for elderly or out of shape folks ... though it's not really "martial" ...

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
BJJ is all about the grappling as opposed to the strikes and quite a workout

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Hey man, don't sell yourself short. You're probably ugly too, at the least.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah. Tai Chi and Yoga. For realz.

See also: Swimming.

And buy a bicycle if you don't already have one. The fast moving air (even at the "stately" speeds you'll likely be starting out at) keeps the sweat off.

And buy lots of wick-away. And mountain biking shorts. (Modesty plus an ass pad and they come in 3XL.)

Good luck maintaining your calorie deficit without eating a cheesecake during a disassociate fugue.

Reactions: Tormac and DigDog

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Speaking as an Instructor: It is critical you inform the Dojo, Gym, Dojang, whatev, of your condition. And JKA Shotokan karate would be perfect for you. The reason I say that, is that is one of the systems I am qualified to teach, and it is like the IBM of karate AKA corporate karate. It is very easy to verify lineage, and JKA has a well developed methodology that is adhered to by the vast majority of Instructors.

Reactions: slackerinabox

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
BJJ is all about the grappling as opposed to the strikes and quite a workout
Too live of an art for someone with a heart condition. Even if he skips all the rolls or only rolls with the high ranking belts, it is going to be dangerous due to the very nature of it. Having done it for 6 years, it would be low on my list of recommendations considering his heart condition. Better to stick to kata, kihon, and kihon kumite where the pace is far more controlled, and the aliveness is very low.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
why not just get on a treadmill or elliptical?
The precepts of an art like Shotokan are all about personal betterment, structure, and growth. Doing cardio is unlikely to advance those goals with anything resembling what martial arts like JKA Karate can provide.

Reactions: slackerinabox

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Good luck maintaining your calorie deficit without eating a cheesecake during a disassociate fugue.

He he. I had one of those once.

Was cooking my plain brown rice meal when i realized i had stuffed my face full of fried chicken but for some reason had completely removed this fact from my brain.

Didnt realize until now that fugues were a real thing.

Mar 15, 2003
why not just get on a treadmill or elliptical?

Everyone needs your life story instead of just giving advice :) I elliptical every day but find it boring, and have a partially work at home job while watching kids - it gets lonely. Figure I drop the kids off at the sitters for a few hours, get out of the house, learn something, and add a bit of leave the house structure to my day. I could also use some more discipline, i was basically raised by wolves and tv, undoing a lot and relearning shit people take for granted.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Everyone needs your life story instead of just giving advice :) I elliptical every day but find it boring, and have a partially work at home job while watching kids - it gets lonely. Figure I drop the kids off at the sitters for a few hours, get out of the house, learn something, and add a bit of leave the house structure to my day

Then just go do Taekwondo. You can take it as slow as you want. Or join you local park TaiChi group.

Mar 15, 2003
Speaking as an Instructor: It is critical you inform the Dojo, Gym, Dojang, whatev, of your condition. And JKA Shotokan karate would be perfect for you. The reason I say that, is that is one of the systems I am qualified to teach, and it is like the IBM of karate AKA corporate karate. It is very easy to verify lineage, and JKA has a well developed methodology that is adhered to by the vast majority of Instructors.

Wonderful, thanks for the advice. I don't really have a condition per say. just high blood pressure and my ability to run up stairs has been sucking. Know of any practioners in the NYC area?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
How about losing all that excess weight your body is needlessly carrying? It's not good for the heart, is that out of the possibility of accomplishing?
I don't see how being FAT can mix with betterment and structure. o_O

Feb 25, 2011
How about losing all that excess weight your body is needlessly carrying? It's not good for the heart, is that out of the possibility of accomplishing?
I don't see how being FAT can mix with betterment and structure. o_O
Hence the exercise.

Although obviously a diet is more important to that end, but exercise will help your body work better and helps keep your metabolism operating at "normal" burn levels instead of shifting into starvation mode.

Also, ENDORPHINS ARE REAL.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would work on the weight first. Being in any kind of club, whether it's martial arts or some kind of gym program, or whatever, is going to push you hard, and perhaps beyond your limits. This may be dangerous in your situation. Losing the weight will make it easier on your heart once you do start.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Wonderful, thanks for the advice. I don't really have a condition per say. just high blood pressure and my ability to run up stairs has been sucking. Know of any practioners in the NYC area?

Jump on the stairmaster at the local gym, round is a great shape. It is ever called the perfect shape if you are able to draw a perfect circle. So make it you lifes work to be a perfect circle! Don't give up now when you are so close.

Reactions: itaos