Married fellas come on in...men's wedding band advice needed!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JetsFanatic
I have a "comfort-band"
plain yellow gold "14k"

I5mm
Isn't that quite wide?
Do you have big hands? I think a 15mm ring would look odd on me.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BunLengthHotDog
I will give a vote of confidence for white-gold (I see no reason to go platinum....WAY to pricey for a similar look to WG). I have a comfort-fit band, though not sure what the thinkness is, and once the novelty of wearing it wore off, I don't even notice its there anymore. I got married Oct 20 2001 and its still in excellent shape. You should try to buy your bands in the same place you bought your engagement ring, they typically offer a discount for a return buyer...especially if you buy both bands together. Hers ended up being free when we bought the set (after discount of course).

One thing I do suggest is once you have them, get the jeweler to do a "Rodium(sp?) treatment" on the rings, its brings back luster etc..makes the rings look new after you get some wear on them, also takes the inherent yellow undertone to gold and gets rid of it.

Congrats and good luck with the wedding.

The reason people go for platinum ( why I did) is because it is virtually indestructable. I NEVER take my ring off and white gold just could put up the abuse I give my ring.

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
The reason people go for platinum ( why I did) is because it is virtually indestructable. I NEVER take my ring off and white gold just could put up the abuse I give my ring.

Platinum is pretty soft as far as metals go. It also tends to lose it's luster quickly.

Titanium is virtually indestructable.

tarheelmm

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2002
I have this ring. A little heavy but only took a week or so to get use too. I am allergic to gold so that is why I have titanium. Very nice ring and does not bend.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Toast is right, plat is far more durable than white gold and will not wear down as quickly if at all, the only downside is it is prone to slight surface scratches much easier than gold....

actually white gold is just yellow gold that is mixed with other metals and sold at a premium....however it is much less than plat.

With re. TI rings, they are nice and light, but I would personally leave the TI for bicycles and golf clubs...I am hoping to get a plain plat band with polished sides and a brushed top...but white gold is also a nice option.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I have a Titanium ring I ordered from Titanium Era. 8mm, comfort fit. Th "outside" has a 2mm polished bevel on each side, then the middle 4mm ar brushed. I like it a lot. Very comfortable, VERY light, and hey, if my hand ever got caught in a hydraulic press, it's made of aircraft grade Titanium 6.4 (6AI/4V). Has tensile strength of 150,000 psi, and a Brinell hardness value of 330 :)

For comparison, Gold has a tensile strenght of 18k psi, and Platinum is 20k psi.

It's a very nice, clean look, and it was CHEAP. Since it's not considered a "precious metal", it was only around $230 or so. Lots of people notice it and like the look. And they always trip out at how light it is.

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
Tarheel and Cody,

Can you speak a bit about your experience ordering the rings online?