Marriage or rape? 90-year-old Saudi weds 15-year-old girl

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
I doubt that dude could get it up with a crane so really there is no concern for Rightist outrage.

Troll alert!

The fact she was forced to marry doesn't bother you:confused:, So your saying the left is alright with child pedophilia

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Who cares? Even Muhammad married a 9 year old girl, Aisha. The Saudi's are our friends, we don't need a spring revolution there.

l.jpg

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If people don't like what others do in other countries, they are welcome to pack up, move over there and protest /change the laws. Good luck and Bon Voyage! :biggrin:

Edit: I'm sure if OP would volunteer, we could get enough money via PayPal from the P&N crew (bipartisan effort) to pay for a one way trip! :)

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
If people don't like what others do in other countries, they are welcome to pack up, move over there and protest /change the laws. Good luck and Bon Voyage! :biggrin:

Edit: I'm sure if OP would volunteer, we could get enough money via PayPal from the P&N crew (bipartisan effort) to pay for a one way trip! :)

We might actually raise enough to keep him over there as well.

Apr 27, 2012
Second verse! Same as the first!
That and is yet another Incorruptible Islamophobia thread.

This is a 15 year old girl being forced to marry a 90 year old, Any comments from you

Do you even care, Another crackrabbit post defending child molesters!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This is a 15 year old girl being forced to marry a 90 year old, Any comments from you

I will continue to ask until I receive an answer.

Are you not a Christian and is the bible not, in your view, the indisputable word of the Lord?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Wait, I can legally buy a 15 year old hottie and she'll have to do anything I want?

shut.jpg

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

I see you didnt answer my question. Im trying to figure out what your outrage is.

Is it that she's 15? Might wanna check age of consent in a bunch of countries.

Is it that he's 90? In the US if he was 18 it would be legal in most states. Would you think its still outrageous and the 18 year old is a "pedophile"? Or is it the age difference?

Is it that its an arranged marriage? This I get. But you havent made much mention of it.

Apr 27, 2012
I see you didnt answer my question. Im trying to figure out what your outrage is.

Is it that she's 15? Might wanna check age of consent in a bunch of countries.

Is it that he's 90? In the US if he was 18 it would be legal in most states. Would you think its still outrageous and the 18 year old is a "pedophile"? Or is it the age difference?

Is it that its an arranged marriage? This I get. But you havent made much mention of it.

The girl was FORCED to marry, Did you not read that part:confused:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So are you against or for this then:confused:

I have family that got arranged marriages. My father didn't get one neither did aunt and uncle and neither will I. In todays world at least the parents find a mate of similar age and education and the two proposed people meet. If eithe one disagrees there are other choices.

I'd never say that age difference is appropriate though.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
I have family that got arranged marriages. My father didn't get one neither did aunt and uncle and neither will I. In todays world at least the parents find a mate of similar age and education and the two proposed people meet. If eithe one disagrees there are other choices.

I'd never say that age difference is appropriate though.

What exactly is your background, And how exactly do these arranged marriages in today's world work as well is dating allowed

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What exactly is your background, And how exactly do these arranged marriages in today's world work as well is dating allowed

My dad is from Jordan, my mom from Europe, Romanian. From what I know of family members in middle east, when the guy or girl is old enough and established financially the family looks for a mate in similar education/finances and they arrange for the two to meet and hang out as well as meet the parents. This of course is according to what I noticed as of modern times (early 2000's). Girls from middle east are not allowed to date but guys are, I know weird. But my friend's parents grew up here in US so they were less strict.

If the couple gets along and likes each other after a couple weeks or a month or two the marriage is planned for and set. The guy usually buys the family and woman he is marrying jewelry or some things of value. Really reach mid east families will go as far as getting the groom's family a house or car, vice versa.

My parents were not as strict and let me date and do what I wanted as long as I stayed in school, got good grades and did what they asked as long as I stayed with them. I moved out long time ago but now my parents are in process of divorcing. Not like it works all the time but back then there were less divorces due to the idea that if both families could pick the right person for their kid, don't ask me how they knew and it was also dishonorable to get a divorce but hey now a days we are in America, shit happens.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What I object to in this thread is the stinking prejudicial issue that only those of the Islamic religions engage in those kinds of practices. When world wide the more common practice was to value only males and regard surplus female children as only trading cards.

If we look at European royalty during the middle ages, it was common to marry off female offspring even before the age of 10. For the simple reason it promoted family alliances. As those common values were more the rule and not the exception but the rule in most countries across the world. From Asia, to India, to Israel and even the Americas in 1776. And even more common with the poor classes than the economically advantaged. Simply because males offspring were valued. As the strategy for the poor family was to have as many children as possible, in the hopes one or more of their children could make it economically and thus be able to afford to take care of them in their old age in farming societies.

Then other factors operated, as fathers were reluctant to emaciate their semi-adult sons as they were finally able to productive supporting the family farms but wanted to get rid of their female offspring as soon as possible. As the other factor was, only the eldest son would inherit the family farm.

Then there was that other factor, because in 1776 America the average age at death was for a male was 35 and the age of consent for a female was as low as 10. As there is another factor here, crudely put as old enough to breed is old enough to breed. But the average age of female on set of puberty was higher than its now, mainly due to worse nutrition in the past, that too is a offsetting factor. But still older and stronger males who could attract a females tended to choose young females, extract as many children as possible out of their brides, and when the younger bride soon died of overwork and childbirth, rinse and repeat with another surplus female. As both Abe Lincoln and Mary Lincoln had that in common.

Far from endorsing that sad early marriage concept, its still all too common in the third world nations be they Islamist or what ever,