Marriage or rape? 90-year-old Saudi weds 15-year-old girl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GreenMeters

Nov 29, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age#North_America

United States: 18 (two exceptions: 19 in Nebraska and 21 in Mississippi). Most states, however, allow minors below 18 to marry (generally they have to be at least 16 but sometimes lower) with parental and/or judicial consent, and some states allow female minors below 18 to marry without parental or judicial consent if she is pregnant.

So everything about American culture and values is repulsive too, right?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Yeah, and besides it would probably be good to drag our own marriage laws kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Our culture and laws have their flaws but nowhere in the US will you see 15 year old girls being sold off like property by their parents.

Apr 27, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age#North_America

United States: 18 (two exceptions: 19 in Nebraska and 21 in Mississippi). Most states, however, allow minors below 18 to marry (generally they have to be at least 16 but sometimes lower) with parental and/or judicial consent, and some states allow female minors below 18 to marry without parental or judicial consent if she is pregnant.

So everything about American culture and values is repulsive too, right?

Alright idiot!

That girl WAS FORCED TO BE MARRIED, that might be hard for you to comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Our culture and laws have their flaws but nowhere in the US will you see 15 year old girls being sold off like property by their parents.

Instead you see 15 year old girls getting knocked up and sucking down government benefits.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You may be the sort of moral midget who thinks that there are no absolutes of right and wrong and that it's all relative, however some of us recognize that forcing 90 year old men on 15 year old girls is disgusting and immoral regardless of the culture or circumstances.

Your opinion of what is right and wrong, is nothing more then a reflection of the society you were raised in.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So you're OK with it if it's done quietly? :colbert:

I thought the bride's family paid the dowry.

Why would I have anything to do with it or what could I do? I just said it wasn't alright in my view. I have family that is middle eastern but none of them got married like that.

Here in US a girl that is 16 and pregnant gets a tv show that's also something that isn't right and pushing the stuff to society like its fine.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Here in US a girl that is 16 and pregnant gets a tv show that's also something that isn't right and pushing the stuff to society like its fine.

If you are old enough for society to allow you to be a mother than you are old enough to get married.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Their country/culture, their rules. You can argue that their country should change the rules or that their culture needs an update. But who the hell are you to propose punishments that you see fit?

What would you think of a foreigner proposing a punishment for you if you followed rules he didn't like?

Enjoy a BLT without fear.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Alright idiot!

comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue

Can we send a Dowry or something to the Middle East so we can get a replacement for Incorruptible? We can cross ship.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
If you are old enough for society to allow you to be a mother than you are old enough to get married.

Oh my god will you shut the fuck up! We get it, anything women do is bad and you hate women and want to vilify women in every way you can. Now shut up and move on as you've said the same jackass thing three times in this thread.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
if the girl and her family dont hold up their end of the bargain they should he to return the money

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Alright idiot!

That girl WAS FORCED TO BE MARRIED, that might be hard for you to comprehend so take a couple days to think about and then come back when your educated on this issue

I don't think he was defending what happened in Saudi Arabia. It appears he's responding to the person who said everything about Saudi Arabian culture was bad by pointing out that in the U.S. we have some pretty ass backwards laws too. Yes, this practice in Saudi Arabia and any country that does it is reprehensible (note it doesn't happen in just Islamic countries like you'd like to believe and not all Islamic countries do this). But this one practice doesn't make everything about Saudi Arabia horrific. Though I would say they have a much higher rate of civil rights defying laws than anywhere I'm aware of and in fact are probably the worst country for civil rights in the Islamic world.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Alright idiot!

But it looks like they followed Gods rules so what is your issue with it? I could of swore that you were a Christian, do you not believe that the bible is the word of the Lord?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I had a very clinical/philosophical post typed out about the subject. Then decided to read the article. Previous post deleted.

Not Rape, but totally fucked up. I just can't imagine the thought process that goes along with thinking that this is ok. Clearly the Girl is considered just a piece of Property and with the same regard as one would consider a Toaster. That's the most fucked up part of it.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'd lock myself in a room too if my great great granddaddy was trying to have his way with me...

Clearly the Girl is considered just a piece of Property and with the same regard as one would consider a Toaster. That's the most fucked up part of it.

That's the best way to view this. We need to fight back against Islamic countries to obtain equal rights for women and minorities. That means economic direction towards the most "liberal" among them.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'd lock myself in a room too if my great great granddaddy was trying to have his way with me...

That's the best way to view this. We need to fight back against Islamic countries to obtain equal rights for women and minorities. That means economic direction towards the most "liberal" among them.

While some people in Islamic countries favor liberty and certain other freedoms like we have in US, what you're saying is a no go. That's how they have been for years since their rules were written and practiced. That's culture you are talking about, culture that has been in practice for a loong time.

It's not right or proper but I don't think we have any say in someone else's culture. Kinda like going to someone's house and saying oh we are eating at 5pm, well at my house we eat at 6pm we should do that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Why would I have anything to do with it or what could I do? I just said it wasn't alright in my view. I have family that is middle eastern but none of them got married like that.

I was just poking fun at aloud instead of allowed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
While some people in Islamic countries favor liberty and certain other freedoms like we have in US, what you're saying is a no go. That's how they have been for years since their rules were written and practiced. That's culture you are talking about, culture that has been in practice for a loong time.

It's not right or proper but I don't think we have any say in someone else's culture. Kinda like going to someone's house and saying oh we are eating at 5pm, well at my house we eat at 6pm we should do that.

We have economic impact to drive things towards what we favor, just as the rest of the world does. "Not proper" is with regards to military invasion / conquest. That is not the same as economic or cultural conquest, which I feel we can more readily apply.

If, for example, Turkey were to be less screwed up culturally then we should strive to empower them as the leading standard bearer for the rest of the region.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I doubt that dude could get it up with a crane so really there is no concern for Rightist outrage.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
We have economic impact to drive things towards what we favor, just as the rest of the world does. "Not proper" is with regards to military invasion / conquest. That is not the same as economic or cultural conquest, which I feel we can more readily apply.

If, for example, Turkey were to be less screwed up culturally then we should strive to empower them as the leading standard bearer for the rest of the region.

A good example would be nice but a lot of those middle eastern country have been backwards old world rules for a while.

Oh and aloud lol , stupid autocorrect.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Marriage or rape?

Traditional marriage doesn't see a distinction. Interesting to see conservatives advocating a redefinition of marriage.