Market roars ahead on good news from Cisco

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlein..._RTRIDST_0_MARKETS-STOCKS-UPDATE-4.XML

"Cisco reported stronger-than-expected quarterly earnings and revenue. Its shares jumped almost 13 percent to $19.53 on the Nasdaq and lifted other tech stocks. Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) rose 1 percent to $1.15 and Broadcom Corp. (BRCM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) added 5 percent to $24.14"

As a big indicator of technogoly as a whole, this is certainly awesome news. Especially anybody in technology. Plus it will lift the entire market.

:thumbsup:

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
At last, some good news from the tech sector. It'll only need to go up another $20/share for me to break even...:eek:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: phantom309
At last, some good news from the tech sector. It'll only need to go up another $20/share for me to break even...:eek:

All the fierce competition in the broadband arena should drive telecomm stocks, one would believe. They can't build these networks without the gear. And service providers have always been Cisco's bread and butter.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Hmm. At 1:05 pm the Dow is even and the NASDAQ up a little.
Guess it didn't have such a great effect.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: zendari
It's a great economy we live in.

It's a great economy but it could be a hell of a lot better. *cough* tax slavery *cough*

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I love the technology sector these days. It's an employee's dream market!

Feb 16, 2005

So that's why they stopped raising interest rates! Not only are you a rocket scientist, an accountant, but you're a financial consultant as well!
:laugh:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Plus it will lift the entire market.
The lift didn't last long.

We are approaching the end of the day. So far:
[*]Dow moved -88.7, -0.8%
[*]Nasdaq moved +2.44, +0.12%.
[*]S&P moved -4.14, -0.33%.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Plus it will lift the entire market.
The lift didn't last long.

We are approaching the end of the day. So far:
[*]Dow moved -88.7, -0.8%
[*]Nasdaq moved +2.44, +0.12%.
[*]S&P moved -4.14, -0.33%.

yeah, I don't have a crystal ball either.

but as a whole what did tech do?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
yeah, I don't have a crystal ball either.

but as a whole what did tech do?
None of us has one. My best estimate is just to predict horizontal movement (in the long run) for the next 5 years or so. Sure, it'll move up or down from day to day, but mostly the ups will cancel the downs.

As for tech, it depends on your definition. Right now, the Nasdaq is down just barely. But the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index is up a solid 0.8%.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Dissipate

It's a great economy but it could be a hell of a lot better. *cough* tax slavery *cough*

Ignore him. It would seem that during the last week or so people here have finally started doing just that. I am as guilty as anyone for taking the bait too often. No longer, just ignore him like he was ignored growing up and this board will get back to normal in no time :)

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39

Ignore him. It would seem that during the last week or so people here have finally started doing just that. I am as guilty as anyone for taking the bait too often. No longer, just ignore him like he was ignored growing up and this board will get back to normal in no time :)

Guilty here too, will try to refrain.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Originally posted by: umbrella39

Guilty here too, will try to refrain.
I kid you not, he is a very hungry troll, and if you stop feeding him, he will eventually stop demanding to be fed, and start pleading for table scraps. Then he'll just shrivel and die when you don't even give 'em that.