Mark Sanford and the public's forgiveness of his transgressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Yea I was going to say looks like a younger version. Guess he knows what he likes, just younger. ;)

And IMO he did try and lie, remember he was "hiking in the mountains" when asked where he was.

Is it his fault that everyone jumped to conclusions about the meanings of "mountains" and "hiking?"

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
IMO, he's showing some bad judgement. I understanding him wanting to watch the Super Bowl with his son, and not wanting him to be alone.

Solution?

Text the ex-wife, pick the kid up and take him somewhere else to watch it. Drop him back off home when it's over.

Fern

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I don't know, what is everyone else's take on this? Should an elected officials private sexual "business" be used to judge him for his position?

If your spouse can't trust you, neither can I.

Exactly. If you would willingly be so disloyal to the person you supposedly love most in the world, what would you be willing to do to your average constituent you've never met.

An elected person's private life absolutely matters. It's how you get an idea of their values and integrity. It's where you see the real person shine through.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wow, this guy is getting more nutty everyday. Hes even down 9 points in a district that Romney won by 18 points.

Mark Sanford 'Debates' Cardboard Cutout Of Nancy Pelosi On Sidewalk

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/mark-sanford-debate_n_3147360.html

On Sunday, Sanford ran a 1200-word ad in the Charleston Post & Courier lamenting his "rough week," comparing his campaign to the Alamo and giving out his personal cell phone number.
Voters in South Carolina's 1st District, which went for GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney by 18 points in 2012, seem to be losing faith in Sanford. Colbert Busch has a 9-point lead among likely voters, according to a Public Policy Polling survey released Monday. The National Republican Congressional Committee is not spending money on the race.

IMO, he's showing some bad judgement. I understanding him wanting to watch the Super Bowl with his son, and not wanting him to be alone.

Oops he also had to take that back as his son was not alone. New statement...

On Tuesday, Sanford said he had gone to his ex-wife's property to watch the Super Bowl with one son while the other was also home doing homework. He previously said that he went to his ex-wife's house on Feb. 3, because he "didn’t think he should watch [the Super Bowl] alone."

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mark Sanford won by 9 points. Didn't see that coming.

BTW - I don't ever want to hear conservatives preaching morals because it obviously means nothing to you.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Its amazing how he played on the religious peoples "forgiveness' aspect. Colbert is jewish I believe, and I am certain most of those god fearing christians didn't want someone jewish in office. I really am starting to loathe these religious people.. I just read about Louisiana shooting down the bill to stop creationism being taught in their schools. They are already getting religous text books for their class rooms. I just shake my head, its as if they want their children to remain dumb and unquestioning.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
BTW - I don't ever want to hear conservatives preaching morals because it obviously means nothing to you.

Ohhhh but the christians forgave him.. its all about christian forgiveness right? No common sense what so ever from these folks..

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Its amazing how he played on the religious peoples "forgiveness' aspect. Colbert is jewish I believe, and I am certain most of those god fearing christians didn't want someone jewish in office. I really am starting to loathe these religious people.. I just read about Louisiana shooting down the bill to stop creationism being taught in their schools. They are already getting religous text books for their class rooms. I just shake my head, its as if they want their children to remain dumb and unquestioning.

I think those people are too stupid to realize they've been had. I don't have a problem with voting for someone who had an affair but I have a big problem when their political profile was preaching family values.

Also people forgave him for being AWOL?

This guy has a huge creep factor. Bring the new hottie on public stage with his kids and that was their first personal intro? Geeez!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I think those people are too stupid to realize they've been had. I don't have a problem with voting for someone who had an affair but I have a big problem when their political profile was preaching family values.

Also people forgave him for being AWOL?

This guy has a huge creep factor. Bring the new hottie on public stage with his kids and that was their first personal intro? Geeez!

But he's not a democrat. That's the point. Anybody but a democrat.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Mark Sanford won by 9 points. Didn't see that coming.

I'm not surprised at all, the GOP and it's loyal religious voters have honed hypocrisy and double standards to a science.
Throw this on the pile of what we already have to laugh at when the "moral majority" get sanctimonious.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
It's funny to hear Democrats claim the moral high ground by essentially saying since they don't have morals there's no moral failing they can be accused of.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's funny to hear Democrats claim the moral high ground by essentially saying since they don't have morals there's no moral failing they can be accused of.

Exactly this, we're not supposed to care that Clinton got a blowjob and fucked Monica in the Oval office and then lied under oath about it, but if a Republican cheats on his wife he's forever unfit for any office.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Exactly this, we're not supposed to care that Clinton got a blowjob and fucked Monica in the Oval office and then lied under oath about it, but if a Republican cheats on his wife he's forever unfit for any office.

Its because of the hypocrisy, not because of any moral high ground. The guy disappears while in office and unethically uses government money and is re-elected because of an R next to his name. He has been a career politician. I thought the Tea Party wanted to get rid of those?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Honestly most Democrats don't care that much about Clinton getting a hummer. And most don't really care really about Sanford cheating. But Republicans are always trying to be this party of moral authority and the religious right, yet are constantly going against he beliefs they claim to uphold. What we care about is the utter hypocrisy of the GOP.

Also Sanford using public funds to visit his mistress and shirking hit duties for several days while doing it doesn't sit well with us.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
His district was R+18. Even if his opponent had won, she would have been tossed back out in the next election. It looks like his transgressions chopped at least eight points off his totals, but really a democratic win there would have been 1.) quite a surprise and 2.) quite short lived.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Its because of the hypocrisy, not because of any moral high ground. The guy disappears while in office and unethically uses government money and is re-elected because of an R next to his name. He has been a career politician. I thought the Tea Party wanted to get rid of those?

Honestly the Tea Party is the single stupidest political group that has ever had members voted to office in this nation. I don't expect any intelligent moves from them or anyone who is dumb enough to vote for them.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Honestly the Tea Party is the single stupidest political group that has ever had members voted to office in this nation. I don't expect any intelligent moves from them or anyone who is dumb enough to vote for them.

Not only that, but they are touting Colbert-Busch's "Arrest Record" that got leaked 2 days before the election that if any of them had actually taken even 2 seconds to read about would likely have gotten her more woman voters.

To even further get frustrated by it, Sanford is going to court on Thursday because he broke the law...

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Honestly most Democrats don't care that much about Clinton getting a hummer. And most don't really care really about Sanford cheating. But Republicans are always trying to be this party of moral authority and the religious right, yet are constantly going against he beliefs they claim to uphold. What we care about is the utter hypocrisy of the GOP.

Also Sanford using public funds to visit his mistress and shirking hit duties for several days while doing it doesn't sit well with us.

You're just proving SaurusX point and my agreement with it, you hold your own Democrat politicians to such a low standard because you know they lie, cheat and steal on a regular basis, but want Republicans and Tea Party members to maintain very high standards for their politicians.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

If Bill had brought Chelsea and Monica to the Rose Garden and said Chelsea, meet your new mommy, that would be one.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You're just proving SaurusX point and my agreement with it, you hold your own Democrat politicians to such a low standard because you know they lie, cheat and steal on a regular basis, but want Republicans and Tea Party members to maintain very high standards for their politicians.

To what standard do you hold Republicans and Tea Party members?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Seems Republicans and Tea Party members don't share your wish.

BTW - It seems to me Democratic standards forced Elliot Spitzer and Anthony Weiner from office

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
teapartydrama_zps01120394.png