Mario Cart DD: Donkey Kong Island Map...is it extra tough...or do I just suck?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My wife bought me MC:DD last night and we played it co-op. We were playing the 50cc series of races. We took first place in every single race up until the very last race in the very last circuit - it's the donkey kong island race. We can not seem to get any better than fifth place. Something mysteriously appears in front of us, or a special power will knock us off the bridge, ect. We can not do well in this race. Even with going into the race with 30 points (3 1st place wins @ 10 points each) we still end up loosing overall :(

Any tips on how to do well on the map?

ddwbi0

Jun 22, 2002
lol a special power...There's a few traps in that stage...the dinosaur, the geyser looking things...and then the other racers will push you off. Just keep on trying, i always thought it was one of the easier ones

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
that game is way to easy we beat in 3 days. Including mirror mode on all speeds and cups

have you mastered the power slide yet? that is the key. you can drive the whole course getting a constant boost from it

also what cart are you useing? you could try a different one. see if that helps

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Well, by special power I mean somebody hitting us with the big ball and chain from behind...or a few other of the special attacks.

It's just really weird because we win the other maps by an average of 20 seconds and the 4 or 5 times we've played this one we wind up getting 5th every time.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
It is a tough map, but as Anubis said, if you can master the powerslide, you can own that game. The key is the blue sparks...

Experiment with different carts, work on your powerslides, and work on the lower levels at higher speeds. Good luck!

R

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
First of all, which one of you is driving? :p Sorry, I couldn't resist. :) Anyways, that one is kinda tough. Which characters are you using? Which kart? I've always been partial to the koopa troopa cause the handling is easier with him since he's smaller. You might give the koopa troopa and the winged paratroopa a try in the koopa troopa's kart. Like I said, he's not the fastest but sometimes handling is more important than speed. BTW.....if that race causes you fits, after you finish the 100cc section and unlock the special cup.......you'll REALLY love the new Rainbow Road. ;)

jc

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis
that game is way to easy we beat in 3 days. Including mirror mode on all speeds and cups
have you mastered the power slide yet? that is the key. you can drive the whole course getting a constant boost from it

Heh :)

Like I said, I'm playing this with my wife who is a video game newbie :) She took Princess Peach and of course we had to take the cart that matched her dress :p We got the double dash down...we are trying to master the slide attack. That one is taking some time.

We only played it for about half an hour last night, so maybe a few more times around the track will leave us victorious :)

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
i personally like the combo of a koopa and baby bowser
then when you get toad and his kart.
toad + baby bowser + toad kart = unstoppable

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
First off, it's Kart! :p

Secondly, if you think that's frustrating, have you tried F-Zero GX? The game looks and plays great, but it get SO DAMN HARD at some points. I've had to play certain tracks countless times to even place respectably, much less win. :(

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Like I said, I'm playing this with my wife who is a video game newbie :) She took Princess Peach and of course we had to take the cart that matched her dress :p We got the double dash down...we are trying to master the slide attack. That one is taking some time.

We only played it for about half an hour last night, so maybe a few more times around the track will leave us victorious :)

FYI peach sucks. wigned koopa and mini bowser is the best in either the bullit cart or train cart - you will unlock thoes later

to start id use a small gut like mini bowser cause the huge shell special rules and some like mario its a good balence and you can have a decent cart before you unlock the better ones

the only hard part to this game is unlocking and beating the "Staff Ghosts" in time trial

some of them are too damn fast

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

FYI peach sucks. wigned koopa and mini bowser is the best in either the bullit cart or train cart - you will unlock thoes later

to start id use a small gut like mini bowser cause the huge shell special rules and some like mario its a good balence and you can have a decent cart before you unlock the better ones

the only hard part to this game is unlocking and beating the "Staff Ghosts" in time trial

some of them are too damn fast

i wish it would save the staff ghosts after you shut off your cube:(

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
That whole game is easy, rented it from blockbuster, by the time it had to go back I had everything minus the parade kart and the new title screen.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
DK Mountain is easy, for me at least. I beat the entire game and I am still sporting an undefeated record in multiplayer action. I truly think I am the best MK:DD player on the West Coast.

Bowsers Castle > DK Mountain IMO.

Rainbow Road > *

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Is any of the maps as challenging as the N64 Yoshi's map? It's replacement blew. Also, I hate how you can't hop; now I can't cut corners anymore. Finally, for the car map (toad's racepike replacement), are there bonuses up on the bridges sides?

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
DK mountain is easy... and having problems at 50cc? You noob :p

After you go out of the cannon, just take the shortest route through the gray colored rocks, going off course won't slow you down there. Just go into a constant powerslide when you are driving around the big gap in the ground. There is a shortcut to bypass the gap but it's kind of tricky. Also, when you are approaching the bridge, try to line yourself up straight before you drive onto it, then don't touch the control stick as you are going over it.

If you are having problems with 50cc, wait until you get to 150... damn cheating AI :(

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
DK Mountain is easy, for me at least. I beat the entire game and I am still sporting an undefeated record in multiplayer action. I truly think I am the best MK:DD player on the West Coast.

Bowsers Castle > DK Mountain IMO.

Rainbow Road > *

are your times ranked in the top 100 world wide????

is so LMK cause ours are

for all 3 versions of MK

can anyone else do 1:01: for ghost house 1 for snes?