Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and new Paper Mario coming to Switch

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and new Paper Mario coming to Switch

Nintendo will release a ton of remastered Mario games on Switch in 2020, including Sunshine, Galaxy, and Mario 64

Nintendo is releasing a massive salvo of Mario games on the Switch in 2020 to commemorate the plumber's 35th anniversary.

Remasters of Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 3D Land, and even Mario 64 will launch in 2020 for the Nintendo Switch, both Eurogamer and VideoGamesChronicle today confirmed. It's likely these games will be wrapped together and sold in a collection on the Switch, as well as sold separately on the eShop as individual downloads.

Sources also say Nintendo will release a brand new Paper Mario game in 2020. Fans have been asking for a new Paper Mario game since the Switch was released in 2017, and news of the game already has the gaming sphere in a tizzy. The next Paper Mario should be the plumber's major release for 2020 alongside the huge string of remasters.

The idea here is simple: Nintendo wants to re-sell old games on its new machine, and give gamers an opportunity to try out titles they missed out on. While most people already owned a 3DS, the same can't be said about the Wii U. Bringing the Wii U-era Mario games forward will give Switch gamers an opportunity to experience something fresh while Nintendo re-monetizes older products.

No exact information on the remastered features have been confirmed, but we should expect better graphics and performance at the very least. We should also see some innovative use of the Switch JoyCon's gyroscopic controls and interactive features.

Nintendo is expected to make the big announcements in a Direct showcase timed around June or thereabouts, coinciding with other games-maker's plans for all-digital events.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
It would be awesome if there were going to be a physical version as well released in the future.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
why is it the system I own is always the crap one?
Bought the N64, didnt like it.
Bought the game cube, didnt like it.
Bought the Wii, really didnt like it.
Bought the Wii U, kinda liked it except for the games that rely on that fucking tablet and also it had a shit selection of games.
Now I find the Switch is the one to have.

• Haha
Reactions: JPB

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No thanks. I'm tired of all these fucking HD remasters. Give me new shit please. If I wanted to play those games I could do so right now.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Bought the Wii U, kinda liked it except for the games that rely on that fucking tablet and also it had a shit selection of games.
I guess it is safe to conclude that you did like the NES and the Super Nintendo then ? One of my favorite controllers ever, is the Gamecube controller. Most games I play on the Wii U...I just switch to the Pro controller option. And luckily...all the games I play..does that.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Gamecube had a lot of good games, so did the Wii.
I didn't own an N64 or a Wii U.

Reactions: JPB

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No thanks. I'm tired of all these fucking HD remasters. Give me new shit please. If I wanted to play those games I could do so right now.
New stuff is on Steam.
But theres a pile of garbage you'd have to wade thru first.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

I'm pretty excited for the Super Mario Galaxy games. Those 3D Marios look rough at 480p but the Galaxy games look incredible on Dolphin at 1080p, but then Dolphin doesn't handle Wiimotes nearly as well as a real Wii. I'd love to play these two at 1080p with the motion controls handled by the joycons though.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I'm pretty excited for the Super Mario Galaxy games. Those 3D Marios look rough at 480p but the Galaxy games look incredible on Dolphin at 1080p, but then Dolphin doesn't handle Wiimotes nearly as well as a real Wii. I'd love to play these two at 1080p with the motion controls handled by the joycons though.
I still have my original release mint copies of Galaxy 1 and 2. Finished them several times as well. But I am just as excited for the remasters as I was the original games....Galaxy with no aliasing ? Sign me up. Not sure how they can remaster Mario 3D World though...prolly just a rerelease. I am also excited to see what Super Mario 64 looks like as a remaster. And also...Super Mario Sunshine ? In HD ? Not sure what the hate some have for this game is, but I find it fantastic. Should be awesome in 1080 with no aliasing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If they do a "real" remake of Mario 64 then I could see that being pretty great. Like how they did with Link's Awakening.

At minimum they have to make the camera free roam and 100% user controlled.

I'd still MUCH rather have a Mario Odyssey sequel than stuff I could play right now. The amount of HD remakes at this point is laughable.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If they do a "real" remake of Mario 64 then I could see that being pretty great. Like how they did with Link's Awakening.

At minimum they have to make the camera free roam and 100% user controlled.

I'd still MUCH rather have a Mario Odyssey sequel than stuff I could play right now. The amount of HD remakes at this point is laughable.

They have already ported Galaxy to the Nvidia Shield for the Chinese market, should be a super easy conversion to Switch. Of course they're working on a sequel to Odyssey so I don't get the complaint. Do you think these quick ports are somehow stopping them from working on their big cash cows like Odyssey and BOTW?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
They have already ported Galaxy to the Nvidia Shield for the Chinese market, should be a super easy conversion to Switch. Of course they're working on a sequel to Odyssey so I don't get the complaint. Do you think these quick ports are somehow stopping them from working on their big cash cows like Odyssey and BOTW?
I mean, yes, it's taking talent away that could be working on those games, and putting them to work on other games. Unless these HD remakes aren't being made by Nintendo.

And we have no clue if they are working on a sequel to Odyssey. Or BOTW, although I do recall rumors or something about it. I hope they go more traditional dungeons in the next Zelda game.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I mean, yes, it's taking talent away that could be working on those games, and putting them to work on other games. Unless these HD remakes aren't being made by Nintendo.

And we have no clue if they are working on a sequel to Odyssey. Or BOTW, although I do recall rumors or something about it. I hope they go more traditional dungeons in the next Zelda game.

Nintendo has already showed a couple of official trailers for a BOTW sequel. And they're not working on another new 3D Mario? Right. Nintendo hates money? I don't see the downside, a few small teams working on remasters while the real talent in the company is working on their big games. And the two Galaxy ones should be especially easy to do since they have already ported Galaxy for the Shield.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Nintendo has already showed a couple of official trailers for a BOTW sequel. And they're not working on another new 3D Mario? Right. Nintendo hates money? I don't see the downside, a few small teams working on remasters while the real talent in the company is working on their big games. And the two Galaxy ones should be especially easy to do since they have already ported Galaxy for the Shield.
They may not be working on any new 3D Mario game for Switch. I mean look at their track record. It's the norm to only have 1 "true" Mario experience on consoles dating back to SNES. The Wii is the exception. But then we didn't even get one on Wii U.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
They may not be working on any new 3D Mario game for Switch. I mean look at their track record. It's the norm to only have 1 "true" Mario experience on consoles dating back to SNES. The Wii is the exception. But then we didn't even get one on Wii U.
Wasn't Breath of the Wild, and Odyssey originally made for the Wii U ? Or am I thinking of something else ? I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild was, just unsure about Odyssey. Unless Nintendo looks at 3D World as the definitive Mario for Wii U.

Edit: I highly doubt the "New" Super Mario Bros games are the main ones...sense they seem to be rehashes....Still fun games tho.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wasn't Breath of the Wild, and Odyssey originally made for the Wii U ? Or am I thinking of something else ? I'm pretty sure Breath of the Wild was, just unsure about Odyssey. Unless Nintendo looks at 3D World as the definitive Mario for Wii U.

Edit: I highly doubt the "New" Super Mario Bros games are the main ones...sense they seem to be rehashes....Still fun games tho.
Yeah Breathe of the Wild is a Wii-U port, so there hasn't even been a real Switch Zelda yet. Just a Wii-U port and a Gameboy port.

I never heard that about Odyssey and doubt that considering when it came out. It definitely felt like a Switch game though whereas BOTW felt like a port with all the performance issues it had.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like I had Mario Galaxy before for the Wii U. I still don't know what happened with that console after I moved from my parents place which feels like an eternity ago. Which is probably why Galaxy caught my eye in this thread when it was posted. I know I had played it before and never got to finish it. Probably the only one I'll pick up for the switch.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Did everyone on this thread miss the real news? A new Paper Mario game!! I really liked the previous ones.