Marines delay plan to require pullups in female fitness test after half of recruits f

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://www.startribune.com/nation/238560681.html

WASHINGTON — More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do three pullups, the minimum standard that was supposed to take effect with the new year, prompting the Marine Corps to delay the requirement, part of the process of equalizing physical standards to integrate women into combat jobs.

The delay rekindled sharp debate in the military on the question of whether women have the physical strength for some military jobs, as service branches move toward opening thousands of combat roles to them in 2016.

/snip

ugh. this kinda ticks me off. I am all for equality. BUT if you can't even hit the MINIMUM requirements for the job you shouldn't have it. When lives are at stake (such as police and firemen) we should not lower it beyond what they are or make stupid requirements that are going to put people in danger.

Feb 4, 2009
This same issue has come up with our Police and Fire Departments are they now less effective than when it was men only?
What number of pull-ups is the ideal number for the most effective Marine?
Flame away

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This same issue has come up with our Police and Fire Departments are they now less effective than when it was men only?
Flame away

Police and firemen don't have to carry a 25 pound M240 SAW and 500 rounds of ammunition, plus the 3 days of food and water, plus the body armor, over mountainous terrain. All told it can be anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds that each individual marine must carry for themself. We're not talking about desk duty or nurses here, we're talking about infantry. So the marine to her left and the marine to her right need to carry her shit for her to make it "fair"?

There are plenty of butch women who could kick my ass and would be just fine in the infantry. Maybe they don't want to join up, though. Not everyone gets to do what they want to do.

This is how I feel about these women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAWjW6p5TUg

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Typical of the liberalism disease, they will now fight to lower the requirements because they must be "unfair". Who cares about results, what really matters is intent and perception of fairness ;)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Where is the feminism outrage at lowering the standards?

With women being equal to men and all, I figure feminist would be pissed off at the lower standards for women.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Flame away

A lot of fire departments are volunteer and a lot of their calls are medical in nature, not actual fires.

For medical calls lower response times can save lives, so have a larger pool of volunteer firefighters to draw from is good, and a woman can perform CPR perfectly well.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The rules will change after the first major conflict and a bunch of women get captured and used as camp toys.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
The rules will change after the first major conflict and a bunch of women get captured and used as camp toys.

Do you think that woman already don't serve in combat situations and haven't been captured and killed in combat?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

There are artifacts in south america that suggest male prisoners of war were used as sex slaves for the opposing army.

In other words, lay down and take it in the ass like a good boy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moche_culture

Images of captive sex-slaves with gaping orifices and leaking fluids portray extreme exposure, humiliation, and a loss of power.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Police and firemen don't have to carry a 25 pound M240 SAW and 500 rounds of ammunition, plus the 3 days of food and water, plus the body armor, over mountainous terrain. All told it can be anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds that each individual marine must carry for themself. We're not talking about desk duty or nurses here, we're talking about infantry. So the marine to her left and the marine to her right need to carry her shit for her to make it "fair"?

There are plenty of butch women who could kick my ass and would be just fine in the infantry. Maybe they don't want to join up, though. Not everyone gets to do what they want to do.

The M240 is a 7.62 machine gun. The SAW is the M249 in 5.56mm, and much lighter than a 240. Not that it would probably make much difference to someone who can't do 3 pull ups.

Ladies, this is why your brothers in arms would rather you be piloting aircraft or serving on ocean going vessels.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009

So pull-ups aren't important, the test should be how much gear you can carry for how long then. I'm not a fan of women in combat I feel we are not ready as a society to accept mothers being killed in battle. I do hope women serving keeps us out of useless conflicts and police actions.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
if you can't even hit the MINIMUM requirements for the job you shouldn't have it. When lives are at stake (such as police and firemen) we should not lower it beyond what they are or make stupid requirements that are going to put people in danger.

Word.

Our society could really, really use a slap in the face and a reawakening of what used to be some very basic understandings of biological reality.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Back in my day, men were not afraid to suck each other's dicks, so there was no need for women in the military.

More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do three pullups
Oh my god. I'm 30 pounds overweight and I can do 3 pullups. This is insane.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Do you think that woman already don't serve in combat situations and haven't been captured and killed in combat?

I would assume the answer is yes, but I don't believe the US has ever had a large scale ground operation with female combat troops.
While I have no issue with women in the military, they do have to be capable of doing the job, and they should be aware of the likely consequences of capture. If we were fighting the Swiss this wouldn't be a problem, they would almost certainly respect the Geneva convention as regards to captured enemy combatants. In the middle east, they don't take the Geneva Convention so seriously, and women in general aren't treated with the same respect one would expect out of most first world country's.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
So pull-ups aren't important, the test should be how much gear you can carry for how long then. I'm not a fan of women in combat I feel we are not ready as a society to accept mothers being killed in battle. I do hope women serving keeps us out of useless conflicts and police actions.

Pull ups aren't important. It doesn't matter that you can't pull your body weight up. It's not like, I don't know, you might need to pull your body weight, plus 120 more pounds up a wall in combat. I'm sure we won't see walls for too much longer in combat, right? :rolleyes:

walljump360.jpg

sangin-marines-2012.jpg

070729-m-3580l-007.jpg

300x450_q75.jpg

afghanistan_019.jpg

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I always felt the pullup was a better area of strength to judge military personnel than the pushup. It's not surprising that half of the women couldn't do 3 though.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Pull ups aren't important. It doesn't matter that you can't pull your body weight up. It's not like, I don't know, you might need to pull your body weight, plus 120 more pounds up a wall in combat. I'm sure we won't see walls for too much longer in combat, right? :rolleyes:

walljump360.jpg

sangin-marines-2012.jpg

070729-m-3580l-007.jpg

300x450_q75.jpg

afghanistan_019.jpg

exactly.

I'm all for equal oppturnity in a job. I try to teach my daughter there is very little that a guy can do that she can't. but she also knows guys are just stronger (usually) and girls usally don't get as much physical work/excersize over teenage years as boys do.

IF you can't do the min then you don't deserve the job I dont' care if you are male/female .

btw. my daughter holds the record of pullups at school at 45 wooo!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I always felt the pullup was a better area of strength to judge military personnel than the pushup. It's not surprising that half of the women couldn't do 3 though.

I tend to agree. The Marine's CFT (Combat Fitness Test) is a much more realistic measure of combat effectiveness than any of the service's PT tests. The Army looked at implementing a similar system, but... I don't know, soldiers are probably too fat. :'(