Marinating and Baking Chicken Breast

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
So I went out and bought some Lawrys Garlic and Herb marinade and have a couple of chicken breasts. I want to marinate and bake them in the oven, but have a few questions.

1) I am going to marinate the chicken for an hour in a 8x11 pyrex dish. When I am ready to put them in the oven should I just throw the same dish in the oven with all the marinade, or transfer them to a different dish for cooking?

2) What should I set the oven to for 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I read online an hour at 350, any other suggestions?

3) Should I cover the dish with foil?

4) Should I flip the chicken at any point during the cooking?

Thanks for the help.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
1)Its not going to really matter. It may affect the dish presentation but thats about it.
2)Boneless breast dont take long to cook. Keep an eye on them.
3)It depends on your taste and texture that you are looking for.
4)If you are baking it, not really. You could though.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: OdiN
1 hour isn't long enough to marinate them.

Well the stuff I bought was "half hour marinade" and the directions say to marinate them 30-60 minutes, so I think it should be good. The whole purpose of this is to see what it's like to bake chicken. I have always just cooked it in a pan on the stovetop.

Anyone else have more suggestions as to cooktime, flipping the chicken, and foil?

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
1 I would use a new dish. All the extra marinade will get yucky (sugars).
2 An hour is along time for chicken breast
3 No foil
4 It doesn't really matter

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Biggest mistake most people make with chicken breast is overcooking them and making them all rubbery and chewy.
If you want juicy - you have to jest barely cook them - don't let them sit in the over for too long.
You usually can't tell by the looks of it if its overdone - so you have to be careful.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: effowe
So I went out and bought some Lawrys Garlic and Herb marinade and have a couple of chicken breasts. I want to marinate and bake them in the oven, but have a few questions.

1) I am going to marinate the chicken for an hour in a 8x11 pyrex dish. When I am ready to put them in the oven should I just throw the same dish in the oven with all the marinade, or transfer them to a different dish for cooking?

2) What should I set the oven to for 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I read online an hour at 350, any other suggestions?

3) Should I cover the dish with foil?

4) Should I flip the chicken at any point during the cooking?

Thanks for the help.

1.) Use a new dish. Make sure you cover the bottom just barely with water - that will keep your chicken moist.

2.) Try about 35-40 minutes. When time is up, yank your chicken out of the oven and cut one breast in the middle. If the juices are running clear and you can't see any more pink, You're good to go.

3.) Yes for God's sake yes. This keeps the moisture in the pan. I humbly suggest that you take the foil off for the last 10 minutes of cooking or so, that way the chicken will get a little 'crispy' on the outside. That's how I like it anyhow.

4.)Nope :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
An hour is too long for chicken. 40-50 minutes should be plenty...maybe a bit less. A single layer of chicken breasts usually takes me around 45 minutes at 350. People always overcook chicken, which makes it like eating a sponge.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Well I put it in there without seeing a bunch of replies, so it was in for about 10 minutes in a clean dish before I pulled it and put some water in, and some foil over the top. It was in the oven for like 35 - 40 minutes, and they turned out great. Very moist and delicious.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup: