Marijuana use in the Bible?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Interesting article i came across:

http://www.forbiddenfruitpublishing.com/sexdrugs/kanehbosm.html

"Then the Lord said to Moses, "Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels of qhaneh-bosm, 500 shekels of cassia--all according to the sanctuary shekel--and a hind of olive oil. Make these into a sacred anointing oil, a fragrant blend, the work of a perfumer. It will be the sacred anointing oil." Exodus 30:23

It is this term "qhaneh bosm?, or fragrant cane, that is the most remarkable of mistranslations found within the Bible. When it was rendered into Greek it became "calamus", a common marsh plant that had no place in the sacred anointing oil of Yahweh. But so it has come down to us. In fact the Hebrew term is qhaneh bosm, or kaneh bosm. According to Rabbi Herschels??? Hebrew-English dictionary, such eminent scholars as Sula Benet, Weston LaBarre and the British journal New Scientist, what this term refers to is none other than cannabis. Indeed the "m" which ends the word is the Hebrew plural, so in the singular it reads as 'kaneh bos" which doesn't take a leap of faith to be understood for what it is. And this opens up a whole new world of interpretation of the Good Book. A very remarkable interpretation indeed...

As one shekel equals approximately 16.37 grams, this means that the THC of over 9 pounds of flowering cannabis tops, were extracted into a hind, about 6.5 litres of oil. The entheogenic effects of such a solution, even when applied topically, would undoubtedly have been intense. Only those who had been \b dedicated by the anointing oil of...God" (Leviticus 21:12) were permitted to act as priests. In the "holy" state produced by the anointing oil the priests were forbidden to leave the sanctuary precincts (Leviticus 21:12), and the above passage from Exodus, makes quite clear the sacredness of this ointment, the use of which the priests jealously guarded.

Around 1980, etymologists at Hebrew University in Jerusalem confirmed that cannabis is mentioned in the Bible by name, in a list of measured ingredients for "an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of apothecary to be smeared on the head. The word was mistranslated in King James version as ?calamus?. - Exodus 30:23

"Take the anointing oil and anoint the tabernacle and everything in it; consecrate it and all its furnishings, and it will be most holy. Then anoint the altar of burnt offerings and all its utensils; consecrate the altar, and it will be most holy." - Exodus 40:9

" The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me... " - Isaiah 61:1

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
And???

Well considering many of the anti-drug warriors are fundamentalist christians, i thought this was interesting :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't see how rubbing it on your head is the same as smoking it
and it might have been the non-drug kind. remember, hemp has like 50 million uses

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I remember hearing someone mention that the Essenes, the conservative Hebrew sect that wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls, used to rock the ganj. I have no idea if that's true though.

Wasn't he stoned on the cross ?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Religion is a door to anotyer reality, and nobody on this side wants anybody else to enter. Self-haters don't want anyone to be happy.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I would guess you could literally take a bath in hash oil, but unless you ingest some, nothing is happening. Give it a try and report back...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
I would guess you could literally take a bath in hash oil, but unless you ingest some, nothing is happening. Give it a try and report back...

Well, if some leaked in your ass while bathing in hash, it would have quite an effected :)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: alchemize

Well, if some leaked in your ass while bathing in hash, it would have quite an effected :)

I didn't define the method of ingestion, did I? ;) Depends on the pucker factor, I suppose
:Q

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think 'sativa' was, but 'indo' came from Afghanistan, or there abouts? I have no idea, any rastas here that could tell us?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: peonyu
Wasnt marijuanna native only to the America's back then ?
No. Hemp is native to the middle east, and has been cultivated and used by people for thousands of years, mostly for making paper, rope, and clothing.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Sh!t man, you arn't telling me anything new, I know the authors of the bible were high as a kite when they were talking with god.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: kage69
I think 'sativa' was, but 'indo' came from Afghanistan, or there abouts? I have no idea, any rastas here that could tell us?
I want to say that cannabis indica came from the Middle East while cannabis stativa came from the Far East.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hear about this some years ago and found it quite interesting. Allegedly, if you find an older King James Bible(Published before the late 19th Century) you'll find that some herbs used by the Jews are literally translated as Cannibis. I have never had access to such a Bible though to confirm this. However, if true, one of the ingredients used in the incense burnt in the Innermost chamber visited only by the Highest Preists also contains Cannibis. An interesting possibillity to say the least.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
And???

Well considering many of the anti-drug warriors are fundamentalist christians, i thought this was interesting :)
Yeah, but fundamentalist Christians only read the bits of the Bible they are told to, and ignore the rest, so they would never see this, wether true or not. Oh, and they are told what it means, and do not question it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Drugs open doors. What you find depends on who you are and what you have experienced.