Marijuana legalization destroying Mexican livelihoods. This is why we need to ban MJ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
quote-if-you-look-at-the-drug-war-from-a-purely-economic-point-of-view-the-role-of-the-government-is-to-milton-friedman-230172.jpg

It is true to some extent, but an over simplification.

You cannot legalize all kinds of drugs.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
When marijuana farming moves outdoors where it belongs, the cheap stuff will be extracts like bho, & the next step up will likely be dry sift hash harvested & processed by industrial machinery then blended & combined with raw bud/leaf material like cigarette tobacco to achieve a particular aroma, taste & effect. Buy it in packs of little pre-rolled pinner joints, kinda like Marlboros. High end stuff will be more like wine with some years, strains & acreages treated like vintage wine. Some 1973 Santa Marta Red would be fantastic right about now, but I doubt it would keep quite that long. Niche growers today could undoubtedly do much better than that, I'm sure.

1) there are various grades of BHO too, though I agree BHO is a great way to utilize shitty herb
2) I like your mj cigs idea
3) the nugs degrade over time. beautiful to look at but definitely a loss in potency. 12 months was about as far as you could reasonably take it, 3 years and it was a waste.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
the nugs degrade over time. beautiful to look at but definitely a loss in potency. 12 months was about as far as you could reasonably take it, 3 years and it was a waste.

Use a vacuum sealer with canisters (bags will crush the buds), then store in a cool, dark place. :cool:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Here in southern Oregon I get top notch skunk for $100-150 an oz any time. Just finished up an oz of Cheese and am now working on some Jackie O. There is really no market for cheap import stuff around here, we're flooded with great shit at low prices! It does help that I'm a medical marijuana patient, at least on the legal front. :awe: I hear that it should be up for a vote for full legalization again this fall and I bet it will pass.

I can't wait for it to be legal in all fifty states. I bet each state ends up adopting their own state strain with its own special brand name. I'd collect all fifty of them.

Then smoke them and then collect them again! :biggrin:

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
With only 2 States legalizing, already the effects are being felt through the Criminal supply chain.

Its no coincidence that top warlords in Mexico started to fall almost over night. The margins of pot economy must be tight. The legalization of weed gives human beings a dignifying existence. But I'm sure there is some contrarian, some Republican who won't let dignity and peace rule the day. There will always be a Reagan or Bush Sr. running drugs and guns to cities within the United States and elsewhere for some dubious gain.

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
Everyone knows pot leads to coke which leads to pcp which leads to abortions which leads to BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
The legalization of weed gives human beings a dignifying existence. But I'm sure there is some contrarian, some Republican who won't let dignity and peace rule the day. There will always be a Reagan or Bush Sr. running drugs and guns to cities within the United States and elsewhere for some dubious gain.

You do realize that the Controlled Substances Act gives the executive branch the authority to reschedule marijuana, right? In an interview with The New Yorker, Obama said that he believes marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. Why then won't his Democrat administration let dignity and peace rule the day?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Here in southern Oregon I get top notch skunk for $100-150 an oz any time. Just finished up an oz of Cheese and am now working on some Jackie O. There is really no market for cheap import stuff around here, we're flooded with great shit at low prices! It does help that I'm a medical marijuana patient, at least on the legal front. :awe: I hear that it should be up for a vote for full legalization again this fall and I bet it will pass.

I can't wait for it to be legal in all fifty states. I bet each state ends up adopting their own state strain with its own special brand name. I'd collect all fifty of them.

Then smoke them and then collect them again! :biggrin:

I can see it now.

A flag with 50 different seeds representing 50 different strains, 1 for each state, all in place of the stars.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Use a vacuum sealer with canisters (bags will crush the buds), then store in a cool, dark place. :cool:

Malawi cobs are highly compacted, supposedly some of the best in the world. A freezer works even better than a cool dark place.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It is true to some extent, but an over simplification.

You cannot legalize all kinds of drugs.

How about legalizing the ones that support the drug cartels as a start. Surly the people who already purchase the drugs on the black market would be better off going through legal means. The Cartels would collapse and stop killing the thousands upon thousands they kill every year.

At least, the cartels go away right?

This is also from someone who does not do drugs, and will not likely ever do them.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
image-715281-breitwandaufmacher-gznm.jpg

America's Marijuana Revolution: Ganjapreneurs Hit the Jackpot

Since the legalization of marijuana in two US states in January, entrepreneurs and investors have been seeing green. Observers believe the industry will grow rapidly and may even rival the Dot.Com boom of the 1990s...

Comparisons are being made to the Dot.Com era, to the 19th century gold rush and even to the end of prohibition in the 1930s, which saw massive growth in the alcohol industry. And everyone is trying to get into the game -- idealists as well as tough-as-nails business realists, charlatans, geniuses and nut jobs.

Given the stagnant US economy, its hard to see why legalization isn't advancing more rapidly.

Uno

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
image-715281-breitwandaufmacher-gznm.jpg

America's Marijuana Revolution: Ganjapreneurs Hit the Jackpot

Given the stagnant US economy, its hard to see why legalization isn't advancing more rapidly.

Uno

A lot of what I read about the pot industry (from an IT profession perspective) sounds a lot like the dot com bubble and is just waiting to burst. The cushy jobs (oh, the puns!) offered for tech related jobs by these upstarts won't last.

Not that I don't agree with legalizing pot or that the industry is growing. Just that quite a few of these businesses look to be unstable.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
A lot of what I read about the pot industry (from an IT profession perspective) sounds a lot like the dot com bubble and is just waiting to burst. The cushy jobs (oh, the puns!) offered for tech related jobs by these upstarts won't last.

Not that I don't agree with legalizing pot or that the industry is growing. Just that quite a few of these businesses look to be unstable.

The trick is that they aren't just producing for consumers in those two legalized states. Many times dispensaries do under the table dealing to "distributors" in non-legalized states. The flow of pot doesn't magically stop at the state border.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The trick is that they aren't just producing for consumers in those two legalized states. Many times dispensaries do under the table dealing to "distributors" in non-legalized states. The flow of pot doesn't magically stop at the state border.

Which is even more reason they are going to fail. Why would anyone take an IT job working for a company doing illegal business? So, they are only running a legally unsustainable business model, not a completely unsustainable one...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You do realize that the Controlled Substances Act gives the executive branch the authority to reschedule marijuana, right? In an interview with The New Yorker, Obama said that he believes marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. Why then won't his Democrat administration let dignity and peace rule the day?

I suspect that they will once the CO experience provides the facts & figures currently lacking. Up until now, prohibitionists have been able to project images of the boogeyman onto the wall of universal prohibition, convincing people that the wall was the only thing holding him back. Fear of the unknown is a powerful & easily exploited aspect of human nature.

We knocked a hole in that wall, stepped through to the other side with complicity from the Obama Admin. No boogeyman found, nor will there ever be.

Anybody who understands cannabis use at all realizes that legalization will work better than prohibition. Whether they want that or are willing to let that happen is another matter entirely. At worst, the Obama Admin has shown that they're willing to let it happen. They could just as easily have given us the Romney, filed suit to block implementation of retail, dispatched the DEA to break the balls off of personal growers in the State. They'd win that suit every time, too.

I like the way they've handled it, silencing the RWA crowd with states rights rhetoric, not letting themselves become the focus of attack. Critics have to attack CO & the honest facts we are revealing. Prohibition isn't dead yet- they're still kicking at the end of their own rope. I'm sure they never figured it would end this way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And you know that how, exactly? Woman's intuition, or what? The vast majority of black market weed in this country comes from Mexico, Norcal & all through Appalachia, going around the regulated med & rec scene entirely.

Which is even more reason they are going to fail. Why would anyone take an IT job working for a company doing illegal business? So, they are only running a legally unsustainable business model, not a completely unsustainable one...

Why? They probably won't piss test you, for starters.

State law & DoJ enforcement guidelines indemnify legitimate operators, anyway.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/August/13-opa-974.html

By the time 2017 rolls around the CO experience will almost certainly force the reclassification of cannabis.

I think we'll see a shakeout in the industry once big retail growers are fully online, with tumbling prices. Greenhouse growers will rule. The market has limits, obviously, & A64 demands issuance of licenses to all qualified parties. There are no guarantees of profitability. It's very difficult for operators to get around the seed to sale tracking efforts currently implemented for retail growers.