Marijuana Goes Legit, Investors Rush In

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Marlboro brand joints.

Philip Morris high grade.

Only the best for our discerning customers.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Good luck either keeping a job or keeping reasonably priced health insurance. For health insurance reasons, many companies are shying away from hiring smokers, starting to monitor the amount of alcohol their employees consume, recording and tracking their employees weight, and recording and tracking the amount of physical activity their employees are getting (Virgin Health Miles). Right now they are providing incentives for healthier lifestyles, but soon (according to my company's HR department), companies are going to penalize unhealthy behavior with greatly increased premiums. We asked our HR rep about marijuana use of employees at our Colorado facilities and were told that the company is expanding drug testing. Any employees failing the drug tests, even for marijuana, would be terminated and that COBRA insurance coverage would be denied.

It doen't matter if the government legalizes marijuana, health insurance companies will dictate to the employers what is acceptably healthy behavior, and penalize you appropriately.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Can't come soon enough.

Although i have stopped using it, I do need it every now and then when the chronic disease I have flares up.

It does WONDERS to me (during that time). It eliminates ALL of the symptoms.

Although it has been legalizes for medical use in my state for # of conditions (one VERY close to what I have)......what I have is not legal yet.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
884cd98b-be74-4d03-8b59-7ae043e81725-marijuana1-01.png

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Can't come soon enough. Although it has been legalizes for medical use in my state for # of conditions (one VERY close to what I have)......what I have is not legal yet.

MUS (making up stuff) syndrome!

j/k

Hopefully this will help you get what you need. I doubt it would help with mine, so I ain't even gonna mess with it.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
MUS (making up stuff) syndrome!

j/k

Hopefully this will help you get what you need. I doubt it would help with mine, so I ain't even gonna mess with it.

When and if I need it I have access (this is America after all).

But it would be nice to be able to do it in a legal way. Like I said it's already happening in CT, just taking long time.

And I do think my condition will be added soon enough.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Don't forget that when legal most people will be high driving around. I dunno man... If you smoke that shit that 10-20X stronger than what it was yesterday you can barely walk let alone drive... I think it will be interesting just to see how high the THC content can get from the plant. Ah well...

IE... Stupid people will never stop smoking it making them super stupid.

Won't be any different than those who drink and drive. If they get pulled over swerving, driving irradically, I am pretty sure the pot smell will be on them. New laws will be implemented just like with alcohol to give you a DUI for pot.

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
Most people that will get high when it's legal, already get high... man.

Alcohol is much much much more dangerous than smoking pot. When's the last time you heard about stoned dad beating his wife to death...or pot head runs over two young boys in street. Or "I blacked out after at 8pm last night and I just woke up in jail."

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
Won't be any different than those who drink and drive. If they get pulled over swerving, driving irradically, I am pretty sure the pot smell will be on them. New laws will be implemented just like with alcohol to give you a DUI for pot.
They already do give out DUIs for pot and all other illegal intoxicants.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
the real, safe, money is in the equipment to grow marijuana. my guess, in 10 years we see a pot growing section in every home depot.

This would be my thought. I would be very cautious about investing in a retail company at this point given that the taxes on sales hasn't been set and that Colorado is considering a 30% tax in addition to any local taxes and a 2.9% sales tax

http://www.coloradoan.com/viewart/20130405/NEWS01/304050044/Marijuana-taxes-Colorado-could-exceed-30-percent

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
It's legal here in Michigan by prescription. The legal stuff cost more than double what it does on the black market, not even counting "Doctor's" fee's to get the prescription. So much for that theory.

And of course it's still against Federal law, and they have shut most the dispensaries down...

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
It's legal here in Michigan by prescription. The legal stuff cost more than double what it does on the black market, not even counting "Doctor's" fee's to get the prescription. So much for that theory.

And of course it's still against Federal law, and they have shut most the dispensaries down...

you mean its 'legal' on an incredibly small scale

if most states de-criminalize it......a fed law is more likely to follow

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Good luck either keeping a job or keeping reasonably priced health insurance. For health insurance reasons, many companies are shying away from hiring smokers, starting to monitor the amount of alcohol their employees consume, recording and tracking their employees weight, and recording and tracking the amount of physical activity their employees are getting (Virgin Health Miles). Right now they are providing incentives for healthier lifestyles, but soon (according to my company's HR department), companies are going to penalize unhealthy behavior with greatly increased premiums. We asked our HR rep about marijuana use of employees at our Colorado facilities and were told that the company is expanding drug testing. Any employees failing the drug tests, even for marijuana, would be terminated and that COBRA insurance coverage would be denied.

It doen't matter if the government legalizes marijuana, health insurance companies will dictate to the employers what is acceptably healthy behavior, and penalize you appropriately.

Smoking is being labeled a pre-existing condition under Obamacare. Higher premiums are also being forbidden for smokers under Obamacare.

Which also opens up all sorts of other interesting doors...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/9/insurers-cant-charge-more-smokers-health-exchanges/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/345153/smoking-preexisting-condition-kevin-d-williamson

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Not hiring because of a pre-existing condition isn't going to be allowed.

Clearly, if it's been ruled that way, you won't be able to discriminate based on it.

They may be doing so now, before Obamacare fully kicks in, but it isn't going to last long, and certainly not past the first lawsuit.

Of course, it's utterly ridiculous to call smoking a pre-exisiting condition, but hey...

I'm waiting for a ruling on Andy Capps' Hot Fries addiction...

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
"... according to a recent FBI report, law enforcement officials in America make a marijuana-related arrest every 42 seconds. That’s 750,000 people per year caught up in the Drug War net on marijuana alone. In its first four years in office, the Obama administration authorized more raids on medical marijuana dispensaries that the George W. Bush administration oversaw in both terms in office.

After both Colorado and Washington voters elected to legalize marijuana possession and distribution in their respective states in 2012, President Obama promised that federal law enforcement had “bigger fish to fry” than to challenge marijuana distributers operating under the new state statues.

Months later, however, the White House has still fallen short of clarifying its position on the new laws. A White House spokesperson recently told Talking Points Memo that “[we are still] in the process of reviewing those initiatives.”

I wonder if its too early to start a lottery to pick the last day that some one will be arrested/convicted/imprisoned for marijuana possession?

Uno

Last edited: