Maple Story 2?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Curious on whose playing Maple Addiction err no .. i mean Maple Story 2?

Its Nexon's next major cash grab.
Its now 3d instead of 2d.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
MapleStory-2-China.jpg

Gross?

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I've got about 100 hours into it, max level with 4k gear score being my credentials. The leveling was bad even for an mmo, but got more enjoyable around level 35 due to boss difficulty ramping up and actually having to avoid damage and heal more in groups. The auction house/dungeons&raids/world map is much like WoW, but the actual gameplay is more action/reaction and dodging boss attacks that are telegraphed. The skills are not numerous and you pretty much have to use a controller to play due to mouse/kb controls being subpar right now. It is extremely grindy and the more you play the more advantage you can attain, unlike WoW where your progress is gated and you don't have to play too much outside of raids. There is a lot to do in terms of farming pets, world bosses (which are a lot less fun than in WoW), professions which are like farming in Farmville and take over an hour a day if you want to min/max it, and other stuff.

Common complaints are dungeon cap of 30 per week, but honestly once you are doing the "hard adventure mode" getting 30 dungeons done in a week is quite a tall task since each one takes 15 minutes conservatively. It's one of few examples of power gating, because you can definitely grind a lot in this game.

My wife likes it more than I do, but it's not a bad game. The hard dungeons are tuned fairly easy, but could be very difficult with different tuning if you actually had to respect the boss mechanics and such, and I suspect they were much harder originally in Korea. I just prefer the WoW style of having 10+ skills and targeting my heals, and not so much twitch reactions and only being able to heal people in my vicinity. There are a few raids coming out in like a week, and I'm gonna give those a go.