Manufacturing guys

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
How are belts normally put onto rollers (on a frame)? Are the belts sized large enough to fit over the rollers so that the rollers can be moved to tension the belt? Or, conversely, are belts fitted in situ? I don't see how that would work with seamless belts.

Can anybody help me out here?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
the belts have seams. the rollers are also adjustable for tension.
That doesn't really answer my question. How do they install the belts? Do they pull it over the frame and then have the rollers pulled out to make the belt taut, or do they wrap the belt around the rollers and lace it on the spot?

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
the belts have seams. the rollers are also adjustable for tension.</end quote></div>
That doesn't really answer my question. How do they install the belts? Do they pull it over the frame and then have the rollers pulled out to make the belt taut, or do they wrap the belt around the rollers and lace it on the spot?

I would have to ask the guys at work, but it seems to me that most likely it is seamed after the rollers and rails are installed. That would also be the only efficient way to replace a damaged belt.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Hmm... what about seamless belt, then? Does the use of seamless belting necessitate frameless conveyor?

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Hmm... what about seamless belt, then? Does the use of seamless belting necessitate frameless conveyor?

I would assume, yes, that a truely seamless system would require extensive disassembly or would be engineered to allow easy replacement

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
I would think the type of belts and what the belts are moving (ie industry) would play a major role in design. I worked in a frozen foods plant for a summer and most the belts in that factory were like a bicycle chain, and the rollers would adjust to loosen or tighten the belt.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Yossarian
are you building an aircraft experiment?
Yes. Point a telescope to the north-east and you'll see the grounded airplane sometime next month.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
the belts have seams. the rollers are also adjustable for tension.

Yep. All the ones I have installed/repaired, use a piano type hinge to connect the ends together. Final and maintenance adjustments, were done with the end rollers. We also repaired belts using spare belt pieces and a kit that facilitated installing new hinges.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
The belts at the saw mill that I used to supervise were installed with a seam. There was a large heat press that was used to fuse the seam together. They heated the belts for about an hour, but I can't remember to what temperature. Laces were a temporary fix. Whenever we used laces, they would normally break before the shift was over.