manually assigning IP = no Internet :(

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
if i set the PC on Obtain IP address manually, i have internet.
it's assigned IP is 166.143.174.247 as seen here

BUT if i manually assign it 166.143.174.104, then i have no internet. the settings as seen here.

why cant i assign whatever i want??? pls help

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
my setup: modem to switch. and PC to same switch.
other machines have internet too as long as they obtain auto IP.

i have a the same model modem for another building. and was able to manually assign IP manually. not sure whats going on.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Who is your ISP

And what is the model of you switch, modem, etc....

Unless the modem is also a router, then what you're saying shouldn't work

Ie, you can't hook a switch to a modem to share Internet

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Why would you want to manually set your public IP address? That's usually not even possible with most ISP setups. Also I hope this "range" isn't a group of public IP addresses, effectively putting your entire network in a DMZ.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
if i set the PC on Obtain IP address manually, i have internet.
it's assigned IP is 166.143.174.247 as seen here

BUT if i manually assign it 166.143.174.104, then i have no internet. the settings as seen here.

why cant i assign whatever i want??? pls help
Don't do that. You're possibly causing an IP address conflict with another customer of the same ISP (and that other customer is using proper DHCP as they should).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
my setup: modem to switch. and PC to same switch.
other machines have internet too as long as they obtain auto IP.

i have a the same model modem for another building. and was able to manually assign IP manually. not sure whats going on.
Sounds like a cable modem (as opposed to DSL). You're lucky they'd let you use a switch at all. Most cable ISPs set the modem's CPE limit to 1 unless you pay extra for additional public IPs. That means, after reboot, the modem only allows traffic from the first MAC ID it detects through your switch.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
it is really interesting there's a section in the config page of the wireless modem allowing me to set the LAN range, in any ip range i want instead of the normal 192.168.x.x range.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's not any range you want.

There's 3 different ranges that's are not routable on the internet. You have to use one of those, or ymmv

Google "private up ranges"

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
there's a section in the config page of the wireless modem allowing me to set the LAN range
Of course there is. Some user can have a valid reason to use a specific subnet. However, "I want" is not a reason.

Your "modem" seems to have at least three distinct functions.
* A modem. Modem converts one type of signal to another type. For example, between DSL and ethernet or between cable and ethernet. Modem does not route.
* A router. Router routes traffic between two (or more) ethernet subnets.
* Wireless access point. Kind of modem, converting between wired and wireless ethernet. AP does not route.

What is the easiest way to configure the network settings of all devices on a subnet? DHCP.
What is the usual host of the DHCP server? The router that routes all traffic between the subnet and everything else. The "gateway".

Lets assume that your "modem" does not route. A device at the ISP end is the router of your subnet and has a DHCP server. It hands out IP addresses for your devices. Public IP addresses. It probably has firewall rules to allow only the addresses that it has given. At least one address, but probably only one address. How many addresses? Should read in your contract.

My ISP is generous; five public addresses. Do I use them? Hell no. I have a router that takes one public address. My side of the router is different subnet. The router runs DHCP to configure all my devices. I do have a switch too; inside my subnet.

For my subnet, I have two options:
(1) A private subnet range and NAT at the router to hide it from the public internet.
(2) A public subnet range that is registered to me and the ISP knows to route traffic for it to my router.

Guess, which one I do use?
Practically every home user does use private subnet and NAT. All the consumer "routers" have that set by default. So do I.

However, I do use the other option too. The ISP supports IPv6 and offers a IPv6 subnet of public addresses. My router relays them to my devices. No NAT. No registering by me.

I bet that you don't "own" the 254 public IPv4 addresses that you have (implicitly) shown. Your "modem" probably does not route and therefore does not have DHCP, nor two IP addresses (one towards ISP, one on your subnet). Not routing, but passing traffic. A bridge, just like the switch.

Reactions: ch33zw1z