Man's Wife Makes Him Sell His PlayStation 5 After Realizing It Wasn't an Air Purifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I am sort of with @pcgeek11 on this one. The likely realistic reason why she “made” him sell it are
*he can’t afford it as in he doesn’t contribute to the household fund enough
*she feels threatened by it as in he plays too much and ignores her
*he skips out on responsibilities because gaming

I know there are other possibilities but let’s be honest the above are the three most likely.
It is his job to fulfill her needs of him, it is his job to say what he is willing to do if she has excessive needs, it is his job to say “no I’m not selling it but I’ll do...” then do whatever ... is.

Exactly.

If he is providing, taking care of his family needs and he has the funds he shouldn't lie about it. If he can afford it and wants it he should buy it and she could just deal with it.

The underhanded lying part is where he went wrong.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sure it is. The wife scorned when I bought the 77" LG OLED last month but then I showed her the price for it back in 2016 and all of a sudden it was her idea to buy. The $3500 of the 77" was a hell of a lot closer to $1850 of the 65" than the 2016 77" price of $19,999. Now what I should have done was said it was $4K and then bought a new console that I didn't need in the first place. :p

You mean air purifier, for keeping the TV alive longer.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The wife and I always discuss purchases over a few hundred bucks. I'm not bagging on her, but she can be more easily sold things than I can. She just seems to be susceptible to a good salesman selling junk. When we were only dating she had a guy sell her a new roof for her house for almost $16,000. Thankfully there was a cancellation period, and I found a local company that would do it for $5,200. I reamed that guy a new ass, it was a company that knowingly goes around charging 3 times to much and takes advantage of people with their high pressure tactics.

I was shopping in the local farm and barn store a few years back, and a guy came up to a woman next to me and said "can we get this honey, it's only $20?" and she said "no, put it back, we can't afford it" and I thought it was funny, but she was probably the smart one of the two and she controlled the money.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between the people in this thread say that the wife should suck it up and that he can do what he wants and if those people are single.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between the people in this thread say that the wife should suck it up and that he can do what he wants and if those people are single.
Some people say pcgeek11 is married to a goat.

Feb 4, 2009
Exactly.

If he is providing, taking care of his family needs and he has the funds he shouldn't lie about it. If he can afford it and wants it he should buy it and she could just deal with it.

The underhanded lying part is where he went wrong.

Gotta be honest, early on I did that with tools.
“Is that a new saw thingy?”
Me: “Nope” (I used it for 20 minutes before she got home, it is no longer new

Being honest that was silly of me to do, she likes it when I get tools she understands. She’d never give me crap over a tool purchase.

Reactions: pcgeek11

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This summer I wanted a bigger, better TV to replace our 55" set. So I ordered a 65" 4K set.

I didn't ask permission, I didn't 'have to' ask permission, I didn't have to 'justify' it, but I did confer with the wife... specifically did she want me to replace the 43" in the bedroom with the 55", or should we give it to our daughter. She's happy with the 43", so daughter got a 55"er.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Says the guy who stands in the corner and watches.
Projection at its finest.
Yea your original post was.
Well the peanut gallery is here.
Yes, you are. Next?
Says the trash that were not invited to the show.
Is this supposed to accomplish anything?
Asking all the right questions of all the wrong people.

edit : I know you are not going to get this, so I am gonna force feed you :

- Is this supposed to accomplish anything?

Just to point out the childish nature of all the insults.

So yes, it is.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Child.
pcgeek insults everybody.
pcgeek gets insulted back.
pcgeek cries faul.
Its almost like you dont get it.
However the one thing he never does is present reliable information to support his views. When you ain't got shit, the fallback is to reuse the grade school playground taunts from his misguided youth.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
However the one thing he never does is present reliable information to support his views. When you ain't got shit, the fallback is to reuse the grade school playground taunts from his misguided youth.

Playground taunts? Really.

You need to review your own posts.