Mango adding tethering & ffc/skype

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Deeko, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/mango-teaches-windows-phone-to-share-probably-still-needs-carri/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/microsoft-front-facing-cameras-skype-integration-coming-with-m/

Both good news for WP7 fans - two of the last major pieces of functionality missing from WP7 being added with Mango.

2. GodlessAstronomer

Honestly I'm sick of hearing about Mango features and I just want the damn update. MS has been stringing us along for months and it's about time they shit or get off the pot. What really pisses me off is that even when they finally release the update I'll probably have to wait a month or more for my carrier to approve it.

If this update doesn't improve my device significantly then I'm officially done with WP7. They have make a complete cock-up of the update thing so far.

3. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

They said a long time ago that Mango was coming in the fall, never sooner - I don't see how you can say they're stringing you along.

4. GodlessAstronomer

By announcing it 6 months is advance and trickling features out to us. MS needs to learn a little something from the Apple camp - don't talk about it until the people you're talking to can actually get a hold of it.

5. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Meh. iOS 5 was announced in June, can you get your hands on it? When the iPhone was announced in January 2007, could you walk into a store and purchase one?

Its not like this is Duke Nukem Forever and they're delaying it over and over. They gave a time frame from the start, and so far, they haven't deviated.

edit: also, I kind of like the slow trickle of features. Mango was already pretty exciting, and it just keeps getting better.

#5 Deeko, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. Slick5150

Slick5150 Diamond Member

You can put Mango on your phone right now if you do a minimal amount of research. I've been running the final version for a couple weeks now and it's been great.

7. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Not to mention it is ahead of schedule. Fujitsu is releasing their WP7 mango phone soon I think.

8. Belegost

Belegost Golden Member

The Mango beta 2 is in 3rd party dev hands now, so this is hardly a vaporware situation. I'm glad MS is doing a good beta test. (and I'm going to darn well install it this weekend to play around with.)

As for the update process from MS, so far so good in my opinion. My fiancee's android is still 2 releases behind, and as far as I can tell may never get updated short of rooting it. This seems to be the norm for Android phones, with the current flavor of the month getting the latest and greatest, and everyone else getting "someday."

Comparatively I have waited several weeks for two updates that MS has put out so far, nothing I felt was unreasonable, considering that MS has to verify things with the handset makers, and the carriers prior to pushing out updates.

Finally, relax a bit... it's just a phone.