Managing multiple seti crunchers over a lan

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well, I have now accumulated some machines?? :D ??six at home and four at the office ???..and would like to find an easier way to keep track of who is producing and who isn?t. I have had a couple of occasions where a station has quit producing for one reason or another and I didn?t find out until the total output dropped to a suspicious level, and then I have to search manually for the culprit. :frown:

I tried to take a look at Setipro, without success (the link goes to an abandoned page); I did find ?Multi SETI@home?. Is anyone using that one?

Is there any other software that allows you to monitor output from one station over a Lan on a Windows system?

Thanks in advance??????.. :D

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Most people use SETIQueue, it gives you HEAPS of stats, workunit caching and works extremely well :)

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
SetiQueue is the way to go.

Question: Do your ISP(s) have static or dynamic IP ADDRESS(s) either at home or at work?

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks all............

Smoke, to answer your question:

The ISP at both locations is Road Runner and WAN IP address is dynamic to both locations and can, on occasion, get renewed. This can cause me to have to rejigger my off-site backup sofware when a power outage or some other event causes renewal of IP address................... :frown:

It can be a pain in the old posterior, but I deal with it. I'm too cheap to pay for static IP........:p

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
I decided to use SetiQueue when I was faced with the same concerns as you (needing more control over my own mini-team).

The dynamic IP ADDRESS is going to cause you a lot of grief. There are services available that give you "in effect" a fixed IP ADDRESS so all of your CLIENTS will be able to address your SetiQueue no matter your DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS. You probably know about this. ;)

I started using DNS2GO years ago when it was a FREE service. DNS2GO started charging a small fee a year or so ago and I decided that paying it was far better than trying to get all of my mini-team and TA USERS to change their setups. You should do a search for a similar service. I understood that some are still FREE.

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
i use no-ip.com and it works fantastic for my queue :) i use seti queue to monitor the overall progress of my fleet but i use seti watch both at work and at home to check current progress of each machine and how they are doing on their current units :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Unforgiven
i use no-ip.com and it works fantastic for my queue :) i use seti queue to monitor the overall progress of my fleet but i use seti watch both at work and at home to check current progress of each machine and how they are doing on their current units :)
I've used No-IP before to have a convenient way to let people access a server that I run behind my dialup connection for testing purposes. AFAIK, it's still free. :)

BTW, SETI Watch is my application of choice for where SETIQ would be too much hassle.

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
So it sounds like "no-ip" is the way to go. Thanks to our friendly and knowledgeable TeAm Mates. :D

SetiWatch is really good for watching machines on your LAN for it gives real-time information. "Unless there is a way to use SetiWatch for distant machines (non-LAN) you will need SetiQueue." I'm not currently using SetiWatch so I'll pose that last statement as a question? ;)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If you can make a network connection (shared drive) so it shows up as a drive letter then you can use setiwatch.
I used to do this over the internet before the cable modem stopped it.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks guys, as soon as this race is over I will indulge in some tinkering. This info is just what I needed. I am excited about the prospects, and look forward to gaining a little more real time "control".

After all, I need to keep a sharp eye on Dolly and Porter down in the basement. :p :p

Follow-up:
I am assuming I only need the "no IP.com" and SetiQ set up at one location (either office or home) and then all clients use it. (no replies necessary unless I am wrong)

Thanks again...........this is a great group. :D :D :D

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Quick update:
Just in case this may be helpfull to someone else. I have set up SetiWatch on my home workgroup. The main hitch I ran into was that my OS did not want to share "program files" folder where I had Seti@home originally installed. "because that folder is used by the operating system" So in the interest of brotherhood (not to mention security), I moved Seti@Home out of "program files" folder to its own "C:\Seti@Home" folder.

Everything is working as advertised. And not only that...................I like it................... :p

I have scoped out No-IP.com and will work on that and SetiQueue tomorrow and over the week-end.
I am leaning toward "No-IP enhanced" to escape the ads. 12.95 one time charge isn't too much to avoid ads......(I'm not a total cheapskate)................ :p :p :p

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
yeah, I always set up a folder for "stuff" at:
c:\installfiles\

So I usually set up seti there

c:\installfiles\seti\

Works good, gives me a standard set up. ;)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Personally, I've had no trouble whatsoever sharing my Folding@Home folder that is within Program Files (C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\), but have never seen any reason to share the whole Program Files folder itself (it's a security risk, and if you need to get to something under there for administrative purposes, the hidden drive shares - like C$, D$, etc. - are much better).