Managing content not meant for children

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
For you guys with kids that know how to use their htpcs, or even Plex, how do you manage stuff like R rated material? Is there a way to "hide" material that isn't age appropriate? Reason I'm asking is my 3 yr old daughter knows how to navigate stuff on my N7 with Plex and she's already figured out how to turn on the tv and htpc. I don't want her to launch Alien or Prometheus and scare the shit out of herself lol. Granted, I'm usually on top of things and pay attention to what she's trying to watch, but sometimes she'll select something she shouldn't be watching.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I put my kid's stuff in a separate folder. They know that's their folder, and they aren't allowed in the others.

You've got it pretty easy with a 3-year old. You just tell her what to do, and she'll look at you with those sweet little eyes and say "ok daddy." (I have a 3-year old daughter as well).

I haven't used plex, so I can't comment on that one.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Yea I was thinking I'd have to create a new folder and move stuff to it. I'll probably just set up another profile for the kid and a separate one for the main.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
All my kids stuff is in a folder runs through Plex to the Roku.

For my stuff, I plop down the wife's lappy, plug in the HDMI and hit my folders on the network.

It's not always convienent, but managing kids seldom is :p

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
In XBMC you can lock specific sources so that you need a password to view the contents. So we put all age-inappropriate shows in a specific directory structure and then set that up as a source for TV or Movies and then lock it. It will not even show up in the lists unless you go to the menu and click 'master mode' which will then request the password. Once you are in master mode you will see everything in the lists along with your normal shows. Just remember to re-lock the source when you are done watching, as it does not seem to auto-lock ever.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Different folder different user passwords.

This way u teen proof your other stuff even.
Unless they go on your NAS directly and pull it out externally.