Management Information Systems Degree

underlineman

Jul 26, 2007
Graduated with a MIS degree and currently working help desk at a medium size energy company for about 5 months. I know i'll probably need to put in my year or two before moving up or a diffrent job. I know i want to get away from the technical side and focus on a different area. Looking at project management, business analysist, or proccess improvement.

Does anyone have an MIS degree? and what type of work are you doing?

What would be some extra class' or certifications I could look into taking to help boost my career?

and any other suggestoins would be great.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
You need to get out of help desk. Go look for job like developers, programmer/analyst. Or get a business degree and get into consulting. Help desk is a dead end job and don't you get anywhere.

I'd get java, .net or what ever certification you can get. If you go into consulting, you can do ERP, CRM, Business Intelligence implementation. MIS is decent degree, if you can demonstration you know the database, programming, as well as the business implication behind those technologies.

ItsPat

Jun 22, 2003
I have an MIS degree and an MBA in Finance. Currently I am working for a Fortune 500 company working with Financial Systems.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
yikes MIS degrees only land you a help desk job these days....damn. I think you have set your sights ridiculously low.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I graduated with a MIS major and CS minor. Started out as a programmer/analyst. Went to business analyst. Laid off and then to Quality Assurance. Now back to business analyst.

My suggestion, if you can go back and get an MBA in MIS or something else, go for it. It will be much easier to jump into a business analyst, consulting, or project management job from there. Otherwise, find a programming or quality assurance job and move up from there.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
I graduated with a MIS degree 4 years ago. I have always worked in project management / management. Since my first job out of college, I have more than doubled my salary.... and i started out around $40k.

I also have PMP certification which is a huge boost. I'd say with a degree in MIS you want to stay on the management / business side of IT - not so much the technical side.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I'm 22. I work helpdesk at a medium size company and make 43k/yr. I work there full time and attend college online at NJIT full time to get an MIS degree. After that I think I'll take their MBA program online. Get your resume out there and start looking for another job.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: necine
I'm 22. I work helpdesk at a medium size company and make 43k/yr. I work there full time and attend college online at NJIT full time to get an MIS degree. After that I think I'll take their MBA program online. Get your resume out there and start looking for another job.

Hey OP, he has no degree and has the same job as you. How does that make you feel?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I graduated from Auburn in 02 with a MIS degree. Thank christ I had an interest in programming, and managed to get a job programming while in college, otherwise the degree itself would be worthless IMO. At Auburn, they seemed to teach you a little about everything IT related, but not enough in anything to get you an entry level job. You need to specialize in either software development, or network design and administration. Go to the enginnering department for your software classes if necessary. Dont listen to all the elitists there that think they are too cool to learn Microsoft technologies. I do .NET web development, and make damn good money doing it. I pulled around 120K last year by picking up a 2nd development job. I've never had a hard time finding a job in the southeast, though I am pretty good at what I do. Try your best to get an internship somewhere. If you know friends that have already landed jobs, see if they can hook you up with something, even if you are doing it for free. On the job experience is worth 10 times more than the degree. College is just an interview for your first job, after which it is worthless.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Don't limit yourself to specific professions either. I'm making good money now doing absolutely nothing that has to do with my degree.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: underlineman
Graduated with a MIS degree and currently working help desk at a medium size energy company for about 5 months. I know i'll probably need to put in my year or two before moving up or a diffrent job. I know i want to get away from the technical side and focus on a different area. Looking at project management, business analysist, or proccess improvement.

Does anyone have an MIS degree? and what type of work are you doing?

What would be some extra class' or certifications I could look into taking to help boost my career?

and any other suggestoins would be great.

I have a MIS -- It was so useful, I became a lawyer.