Question Managed or unmanaged switch for link aggregation?

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Hello, if I use several adapters for link aggregation, is it better to buy a managed or unmanaged switch?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
you need a managed switch to enable LAG protocol.

In general, no. However, there is one notable exception. If you are connecting a computer directly to the switch that supports Link Aggregation Groups in the operating system, then you can effect link aggregation, but only to that particular computer.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Windows and other modern OS's can perform a poor mans LAG at the adapter level. They call is switch independent bonding or something similar.

As for which is better? In an enterprise scenario where performance is concerned a managed switch with defined LAG groups is better. At home? I doubt most people would notice if you used the OS's bonding option. I even ran production level stuff using Hyper-V and windows bonding for years and performance was fine.

but things have changed where LAG isnt as required as before for something like SMB. SMB 3 will load balance across multiple links within the same VLAN without having to configure the switch or server nic. Except for making sure they reside within the same vlan.