Manafort. You seen this bleep?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/nyregion/manafort-rikers.html

Paul Manafort Seemed Headed to Rikers. Then the Justice Department Intervened.
The decision came after Attorney General William Barr’s top deputy sent a letter to state prosecutors. Mr. Manafort will now be held in a federal lockup while he faces state charges.

Omg its so comical yet not funny at all. You guys are so fucked.
Wait for it, pardon incoming, he will do a twofer with Flunn too.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/nyregion/manafort-rikers.html

Paul Manafort Seemed Headed to Rikers. Then the Justice Department Intervened.
The decision came after Attorney General William Barr’s top deputy sent a letter to state prosecutors. Mr. Manafort will now be held in a federal lockup while he faces state charges.

Omg its so comical yet not funny at all. You guys are so fucked.
Wait for it, pardon incoming, he will do a twofer with Flunn too.
a federal pardon will not save him from state charges, or trump for that matter either, after the double jeopardy ruling yesterday.

Reactions: Ken g6

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
a federal pardon will not save him from state charges, or trump for that matter either, after the double jeopardy ruling yesterday.

While it's true that Trump probably can't save Manafort as there are so many available charges against him at the state level NYS has a pretty robust double jeopardy law that could make it so NYS needs to prosecute him on new offenses. (edit: they recently changed their double jeopardy law to prevent Trump from pardoning his way out of this mess though, but I have doubts it would apply retroactively)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The deep childhood anxiety that lies at the root of authoritarianism makes the pursuit of justice impossible for those so affected. The only way out of that original anxiety was self humiliation via self abasement minus any conscious awareness. This inner sadomasochist state seeks outer expression in the form of collectivist, fascist leaning, criminal groups.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

But would he be a "free man" until the next trial comes around? Cause bye-bye Manafort he will throw a smoke bomb and out.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't for any second imagine this is the justice department simply doing appropriate oversight and advocating for the most humane treatment possible of inmates who do not require a more secure facility. I wish they would do more of that, though. Our criminal justice system is, frankly, awful. If this were an incidental part of a broader action for humane treatment of prisoners, I'd support it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So Manafort avoids Rikers, meanwhile a 16 year old black make spent years in Rikers most in solitary. Accused of stealing a backpack and he was innocent. It effected him so much he committed suicide.

Yet people her bitch and moan when I bring up unequal treatment in the CJS.