Manafort jury has reached a verdict

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This is a scary time to live. When one man has a group of people who will swallow whatever he vomits up.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a22600827/donald-trump-supporters-believe-the-media/

bt-poll-accurate-info-1533041492.jpg

Feb 4, 2009
I called the lone holdout partisan.

Also I find it amusing that the jury disregarded Gates. Didn't the judge pressure the prosecution to put him on the stand because otherwise they couldn't meet their burden of proof?

Hard to say without being in the court room to hear & see Gates

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tweet from Dorito Mussolini :

"I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!"

Just so we are clear, the President of the United States is praising a man for refusing to cooperate with law enforcement.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
unfuckingbelievable. How did she get on the jury? or the pasily lady a hard core trump supporter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-on-all-counts/ar-BBMjmjh?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

“Certainly Mr. Manafort got caught breaking the law, but he wouldn’t have gotten caught if they weren’t after President Trump,” Duncan said of the special counsel’s case, which she separately described as a “witch hunt to try to find Russian collusion,” borrowing a phrase Trump has used in tweets more than 100 times.

Mind boggling

Reactions: DarthKyrie

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is a scary time to live. When one man has a group of people who will swallow whatever he vomits up.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a22600827/donald-trump-supporters-believe-the-media/

bt-poll-accurate-info-1533041492.jpg

Yep...and the more of this stuff he see's, the more his ego inflates.

Said by Trump ; "If I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash, I think everybody would be very poor. Because without this thinking [points to his head] you would see, you would see numbers that you wouldn't believe in reverse."

He thinks the country needs him. He thinks that he's responsible for the last eight years of steady economic growth. It's like every night, after changing his diaper, Melania coos "Yes, yes, darling. Economy very big. Economy very good. All because of you."

It's time for a complete psych eval. This motherfucker is nuts..

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I basically take 2 things from her testimony
1) she appears to be totally classless
2) I actually think there is some ulterior motive to her going on Fox news

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I definitely think this is bad stuff to report. It can put the idea into the next jury that they can just stand their ground and bring a conviction to a standstill if they do choose.

In these highly partisan days, it's certainly a possibility.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I definitely think this is bad stuff to report. It can put the idea into the next jury that they can just stand their ground and bring a conviction to a standstill if they do choose.

In these highly partisan days, it's certainly a possibility.

Aww, C'mon. She said she was convinced by the evidence & that she had to do the right thing because of that. You know- she took her responsibilities as a juror seriously & set the rule of law above her personal feelings.

She set an example that all Americans should follow.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Aww, C'mon. She said she was convinced by the evidence & that she had to do the right thing because of that. You know- she took her responsibilities as a juror seriously & set the rule of law above her personal feelings.

He's talking about the holdout who was eventually convinced to vote guilty on 8.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

I don’t understand the animosity towards this juror. It sounds like she did the right thing.

As more info comes out, it does seem like some over zealous jurors came dangerously close to forcing a mistrial.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I don’t understand the animosity towards this juror. It sounds like she did the right thing.

As more info comes out, it does seem like some over zealous jurors came dangerously close to forcing a mistrial.

Which juror? There's a hardcore Trump juror who did vote guilty on all 18, and there's another one who stubbornly didn't want convict on anything.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Which juror? There's a hardcore Trump juror who did vote guilty on all 18, and there's another one who stubbornly didn't want convict on anything.
NPR just reported that a juror identified as a scientist also escalated some inappropriate conversations in the jury room. Could be that the holdout is the scientist, and may not necessarily be MAGA.

The MAGA juror is probably speaking out of self-interest so that she wouldn’t become the target as the media tries to identify the holdout juror.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
NPR just reported that a juror identified as a scientist also escalated some inappropriate conversations in the jury room. Could be that the holdout is the scientist, and may not necessarily be MAGA.

I'm not sure if "scientist" would mean much, and I would highly doubt it wasn't a Trumpster. Someone nonpolitical or even a Democrat? Really? Whoever it was doesn't appear to have genuinely voted based on the evidence. It seems like the jurors were aware of the connection with Donnie (probably a significant few did try to look up info), which wouldn't be surprising (I can't really fathom how they could find 12 jurors who didn't know who Manafort was XD).

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure if "scientist" would mean much, and I would highly doubt it wasn't a Trumpster. Someone nonpolitical or even a Democrat? Really? Whoever it was doesn't appear to have genuinely voted based on the evidence. It seems like the jurors were aware of the connection with Donnie (probably a significant few did try to look up info), which wouldn't be surprising (I can't really fathom how they could find 12 jurors who didn't know who Manafort was XD).
All true, but Manafort wasn’t on trial for his association to Trump, and I am honestly surprised that Manafort took the fall for Trump.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a critical thinking juror didn’t want to jump on the bandwagon and chose to convict based on the quality of the government’s case. If the holdout juror was truly MAGA, why not vote not guilty on all 18 just to stigginit? That would be a MAGA move and I can’t imagine a MAGA voter not exercising that power to disrupt Mueller.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I certainly have none. At least being suckered by Trump doesn't mean a person has lost their marbles entirely.

There might even be a certain logic in the holdout's reasoning. The multiple charges of bank fraud are kinda like charging each punch in an assault as a separate crime. Not that I agree with such reasoning but I can see how a person might, in good conscience.

It really doesn't matter because Manafort is facing 80 years. Close enough for government work.

There's more to come next month, too. I figure if Trump pardons him before the 2020 election it will bring down his presidency. If Trump survives to being re-elected it will mean he can get away with damned near anything & will act according.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
All true, but Manafort wasn’t on trial for his association to Trump, and I am honestly surprised that Manafort took the fall for Trump

Well, obviously, but if a juror knows of the association, they may stubbornly not want to convict.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a critical thinking juror didn’t want to jump on the bandwagon and chose to convict based on the quality of the government’s case. If the holdout juror was truly MAGA, why not vote not guilty on all 18 just to stigginit? That would be a MAGA move and I can’t imagine a MAGA voter not exercising that power to disrupt Mueller.

The case was clearly very strong, since everyone else was ready to convict on everything, and even the MAGA lady said "the evidence was overwhelming" against him. There may have been various reasons why she did what she did. She may have gone with some due to pressure from heated discussion (this lady said there were tears)

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Well, obviously, but if a juror knows of the association, they may stubbornly not want to convict.

The case was clearly very strong, since everyone else was ready to convict on everything, and even the MAGA lady said "the evidence was overwhelming" against him. There may have been various reasons why she did what she did. She may have gone with some due to pressure from heated discussion (this lady said there were tears)

Who would shed a tear over Dump or Manafort? They definitely wouldn't over you.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Explicitly dangling a pardon for Manafort now in return for not spilling his guts to prosecutors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.6b26ea6924a3

The subject of pardoning Manafort came up while he was on trial for multiple counts of bank fraud and tax evasion and the president was expressing his anger at how federal prosecutors had “beat up” and mistreated Manafort, Trump attorney Rudolph Giuliani said in an interview.

Trump’s lawyers counseled the president against the idea, saying Trump should at least wait until special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has concluded his investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Giuliani said the president agreed and did not push the issue further.

Pretty clear cut abuse of power. At the rate things are going the question is going to be what aren't they going to impeach Trump over when the time comes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Explicitly dangling a pardon for Manafort now in return for not spilling his guts to prosecutors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.6b26ea6924a3

Pretty clear cut abuse of power. At the rate things are going the question is going to be what aren't they going to impeach Trump over when the time comes.

What a load of bullshit..

Giuliani said it was Trump’s concern for Manafort that started the conversation about a pardon.

“He feels Manafort has been mistreated. Nobody in a case like this gets raided in the middle of the night, put in solitary confinement,” Giuliani said. “They tried to crack him and it didn’t work. Over the last two to three weeks, he’s expressed anger and frustration about how he’s been treated.”

Yeh, go ahead- pardon Manafort because the FBI wasn't properly respectful of a guy who'll otherwise end up in jail for the rest of his life... Never mind that when Manafort did go to jail it was from a federal courtroom for violating his bond...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008