Man Wins Fight With Vicious Pit Bull

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Man Wins Fight With Vicious Pit Bull
By Associated Press
Thu Feb 1, 1:58 PM

CONROE, Texas - A 65-year-old retired truck driver who was attacked by a vicious pit bulldog during a neighborhood walk choked the dog to death as he defended himself.

Von Pardue suffered bites on his arms and hands during the Wednesday attack, which occurred shortly after Pardue began his routine morning walk. Pardue was treated at a local hospital, and the dog's owners could face misdemeanor charges, police said.

Pardue said he heard barking and readied himself when he realized the dog was coming for him.

"I turned to face him, and when I saw it was pit bull, I knew I was in trouble," Pardue said. "I put my hands up and I hollered at him. He immediately jumped to my throat."

Pardue shielded his body by grabbing the dog's head and ears, but the dog shook loose and started biting his right hand. Pardue kneed the dog in the ribs, spurring it to let go of his hand, and then grabbed the dog by its thick collar.

Pardue said he then dragged the dog to his house while maintaining a firm grip on its neck. His wife called police from the house. When the police arrived, Pardue was on the ground with the dog and still holding onto the collar.

Police said Pardue's grip was so tight that he strangled the dog. Pardue said he didn't know the dog was dead until it was unresponsive when police tried to move it.

Emergency medics washed Pardue's bites and he received a tetanus shot and an antibiotic at the hospital, he said.

"If not for the collar, I don't know how I would have ever been able to wrestle him down," said Pardue, who weighs 200 pounds. "The dog was about 80 pounds and very vicious. It was hard to believe the viciousness in which he attacked me, but I was able to contain him."

Sgt. Mike Tindall, a Conroe police spokesman, said the dog's owners hadn't been charged Wednesday, but they could face misdemeanor charges for having a dog at large or for having a dangerous dog.

Tindall said the male dog was picked up by animal control officers in December for running at large. It was given a rabies vaccination and released back to the owner, he said.

The City Council in Conroe, which is located 40 miles north of Houston, is set to vote next week on a proposed dangerous dog ordinance that would require such dogs to be kept in a secure enclosure. The law might have prevented Wednesday's attack, Tindall said.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Damn.
Impressive. Most impressive.

I just think then of deer hunters - take down a fairly stupid, benign herbivore with a firearm.
This guy was unprepared, and still managed to kill a crazed pitbull with his bare hands.
That's some good huntin'. Take that home and mount it on your wall.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
WTF are goddamn pit bulls still allowed to exist :frown:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: n7
WTF are goddamn pit bulls still allowed to exist :frown:

..backyard breeders have ruined the breed. Turned them into land sharks.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
My brother was attacked by a loose pit bull once. Thankfully he was armed at the time. He said it took 3 shots from his glock .40 to stop it, nd the first shot didn't even seem to phase it.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
My brother was attacked by a loose pit bull once. Thankfully he was armed at the time. He said it took 3 shots from his glock .40 to stop it, nd the first shot didn't even seem to phase it.

My dad and uncle had 2 wild pit bulls attack them at our family's second in rural northwestern Michigan...one took 3 shots from a Sig Sauer P229 .40 S&W to take it down....the other took 3 rounds from a Egyptian import AK-47...

Crazy tough dogs...and yea some people have really turned them into nasty mean dogs...sad really.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This kind of crap is why I carry a (legal) knife when I walk my 90+ German Shepard mix who's pretty tough himself too but is socialized with other dogs & people ... I also weigh about 200lbs but am no tough guy, however I figure between me, the blade & my dog I'd at least have a decent chance against one pitbull.

I know at times I've argued the opposite, but after myself & my dog have been attacked several times recently (EVERY time by a pit bull... NO other breed) I have to say that despite the few good breeders & gentle Pits out there, the breed really needs to either be banned outright for genral pet ownership or at least be muzzled at all times in public if people insist on owning one... as usual the idiot-owners ruin things for the rest of us & despite my change in thinking I still don't really blame the dogs themselves.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i also walk the dog with a knife:p i dont feel like trying to punch a pitt off my dog

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
i think i heard something like a mountain lion attacked this dude in his backyard and like he shoved his fist down its throat or something...i could be totally wrong here but if i remember correctly he was able to keep it from killing him long enough for his neighbor to run over and shoot it.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Captante
This kind of crap is why I carry a (legal) knife when I walk my 90+ German Shepard mix who's pretty tough himself too but is socialized with other dogs & people ... I also weigh about 200lbs but am no tough guy, however I figure between me, the blade & my dog I'd at least have a decent chance against one pitbull.

I know at times I've argued the opposite, but after myself & my dog have been attacked several times recently (EVERY time by a pit bull... NO other breed) I have to say that despite the few good breeders & gentle Pits out there, the breed really needs to either be banned outright for genral pet ownership or at least be muzzled at all times in public if people insist on owning one... as usual the idiot-owners ruin things for the rest of us & despite my change in thinking I still don't really blame the dogs themselves.

Seems like a steel baseball bat would be better. Less wieldy, of course, but would require less accuracy. I would imagine a pitbull in attack could recover from a few stab wounds quicker than a concussion. You could make carrying a bat down the sidewalk look cool. :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Originally posted by: Captante

Seems like a steel baseball bat would be better. Less wieldy, of course, but would require less accuracy. I would imagine a pitbull in attack could recover from a few stab wounds quicker than a concussion. You could make carrying a bat down the sidewalk look cool. :)

I've considered an electrical tape-wrapped 14 inch steel pipe actually, but for some reason the local PD frown upon that sort of thing ... frankly my first choice would be an "Oblivion-style" short sword! ;)

Edit: Seriously though, the pit has gone for my dog first every time & he's tough enough to hold his own for long enough for me to jam my blade in the pits ribs ... fortunately it hasn't been required yet.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well the stories always involve the pitt not letting go, so i think you have a reasonably stationary stabbing target. that or you go for its throat, they are viscious but they are still just animals u gotta figure. need blood

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Friggin pits. Ban the damn things already, either that, or exhile the idiots who don't qualify to own such a dog.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Friggin pits. Ban the damn things already, either that, or exhile the idiots who don't qualify to own such a dog.

I don't know, I've seen some pretty docile pitts, they shouldn't be banned... they're good dogs when raised well. It's a tricky situation. Breeding probably has a lot to do with it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

I don't know, I've seen some pretty docile pitts, they shouldn't be banned... they're good dogs when raised well. It's a tricky situation. Breeding probably has a lot to do with it.
they're all time bombs.