Man who fired off shotgun: Biden told me to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
The Biden defense won't work though it will add more ammo to those who mocked him for it once this guy is convicted of a misdemeanor or whatever the charge will be.

AFAIK the only time you can legally fire a gun is either at a range, hunting, or at somebody.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
The Biden defense won't work though it will add more ammo to those who mocked him for it once this guy is convicted of a misdemeanor or whatever the charge will be.

AFAIK the only time you can legally fire a gun is either at a range, hunting, or at somebody.

In NH its open season if you are on your own property. If someone is breaking in/tresspassing etc.. you can shoot them or at them, either way its lawful.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I can walk out my back door and shoot my guns any time I want. Usually there are prohibitions of firing your gun within so many feet of a residence unoccupied/owned by yourself. AFAIK, there's no prohibition to simply going out into the countryside, on private or public land, and setting up a target and shooting it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

From what I can tell that's governed by local law. At least it is here in NC, and that's my recollection when living in FL.

You can target shot (or whatever) all you want in the county. I live in the county in a neighborhood of sorts. Our yards are half an acre to a few acres, middle class etc. People shoot guns all the time. I don't believe we have any rules about distance from a dwelling. People like to sit on their porch and target shoot with .22's etc.

I think if you shoot late at night you'll get a complaint, but that's because of the noise.

IIRC, within city limits is a different matter. No shooting there.

Fern

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I can walk out my back door and shoot my guns any time I want. Usually there are prohibitions of firing your gun within so many feet of a residence unoccupied/owned by yourself. AFAIK, there's no prohibition to simply going out into the countryside, on private or public land, and setting up a target and shooting it.

I think your property is more or less serving as a range, though. i am sure it is not legal for you to fire a rifle in any direction you like and thus it needs to be controlled, ie at something, ie backyard range :) Even if that "range" is nothing more than a gallon of water sitting on a log.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
From what I can tell that's governed by local law. At least it is here in NC, and that's my recollection when living in FL.

You can target shot (or whatever) all you want in the county. I live in the county in a neighborhood of sorts. Our yards are half an acre to a few acres, middle class etc. People shoot guns all the time. I don't believe we have any rules about distance from a dwelling. People like to sit on their porch and target shoot with .22's etc.

I think if you shoot late at night you'll get a complaint, but that's because of the noise.

IIRC, within city limits is a different matter. No shooting there.

Fern
This pretty much sums it up..

Country=Shoot
City=Don't shoot unless you have to kill someone

I'm guessing this guy was in the city...

Status
Not open for further replies.