Man, we don’t pay our teachers enough...

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
This guy taught high school comp sci when I was in my teens.

<link removed>

He stands out in my memory because he was all of my friends’ favorite teacher, and he used to let me hang out with them in the computer lab after school even though I was a dorky homeschool kid who didn’t belong there. I remember that he partnered with me to host a LAN party for my then-bf’s 18th, when none of our parents wanted a passel of pimple-faced geeks occupying their house with yards of CAT-5 creating a tripping hazard around the floor. Griff unlocked the lab for an all-nighter and happily sat around with us, chasing down on pizza and headshotting the unwary in Counterstrike.

How someone can be recognized as an outstanding teacher in multiple districts for decades but still not be able to weather a couple of financial emergencies just blows me away. I know we underpay our teachers in the US but sometimes it hits home just how much and what that means for people’s real lives. :(

[edit] I got contacted by someone who decided to contribute the rest of the funds this teacher needs. Between that and the fact that a lot of the remarks in the comments were unkind commentary about the appearance of this person's kids, I'm removing the link.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Some teachers are paid very well and have excellent benefits and incredible pensions. Those pensions are bankrupting a number of states. The disparity from state to state, and from school district to school district, though, can be huge.

I'll bet he took a pretty good pay cut to teach in Tennessee. The mention of neuropathy and medical expenses (and the family photo), sounds like he's suffering from diabetes and its complications. Six kids, and all of them are huge.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I feel bad for the guy and its true teachers are grossly underpaid, however it certainly appears those kids have been eating well! Also pets are a luxury and living in an apartment is hardly the end of the world.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Some teachers are paid very well and have excellent benefits and incredible pensions. Those pensions are bankrupting a number of states. The disparity from state to state, and from school district to school district, though, can be huge.

I'll bet he took a pretty good pay cut to teach in Tennessee. The mention of neuropathy and medical expenses (and the family photo), sounds like he's suffering from diabetes and its complications. Six kids, and all of them are huge.
Yup. I don't want to shit on the guy, but I see/assume numerous bad decisions that lead to where he's at. I think all in all, teachers are paid /ok/. You don't do it for the big bucks. You do it cause it's what you want to do. His predicament is shared with hundreds of thousands of people across the country. Many did things "rightish", but it wasn't right enough.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You don't do it for the big bucks. You do it cause it's what you want to do.

Yeah but the shit that goes along with the job plus the lowering of pay in a lot of areas is making it much less appealing than it was and wears out the "i want to do this" faster

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
EverlastingRewardingEskimodog-size_restricted.gif

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Man, that is sad. Decades of teaching thousands of students and very few care enough to donate.

As a teacher, I'd like to think that if necessary, my former students would step up better than that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Man, that is sad. Decades of teaching thousands of students and very few care enough to donate.

As a teacher, I'd like to think that if necessary, my former students would step up better than that.
They'd have to know about it. How many kids follow the goings on of their former teachers?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012

I'd be amazed if even a few former students are aware of the campaign to raise money.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
They'd have to know about it. How many kids follow the goings on of their former teachers?

I imagine he and his family have updated their social media accounts to spread the word. I have virtually no social media presence, yet I get asked all the time for my info.

Nov 8, 2012
This guy taught high school comp sci when I was in my teens.

https://www.gofundme.com/griffsfamily

He stands out in my memory because he was all of my friends’ favorite teacher, and he used to let me hang out with them in the computer lab after school even though I was a dorky homeschool kid who didn’t belong there. I remember that he partnered with me to host a LAN party for my then-bf’s 18th, when none of our parents wanted a passel of pimple-faced geeks occupying their house with yards of CAT-5 creating a tripping hazard around the floor. Griff unlocked the lab for an all-nighter and happily sat around with us, chasing down on pizza and headshotting the unwary in Counterstrike.

How someone can be recognized as an outstanding teacher in multiple districts for decades but still not be able to weather a couple of financial emergencies just blows me away. I know we underpay our teachers in the US but sometimes it hits home just how much and what that means for people’s real lives. :(

How do you get paid for 20 years straight and not be able to afford a home with an overall low value?
How do you manage to be unemployed in an overall growing field? I'm not even limiting to just the teaching field...
How are you unemployed for THAT long? I see a picture of 7 people, so are you indicating that none of them can work?

For reference, I'm pretty well paid overall, yet I live WAY below my means. My mortgage for a 3bd 2.5bath is $450/month. Overall, sounds like a bunch of bullshit, which is typical.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Man, we don’t pay our teachers enough...

While I generally agree with that statement, this doesn't seem like a good example. The picture seems to indicate he has six children. By the description, I don't think money was ever plentiful, more like barely adequate. You would think that after two or three children they would have taken steps to ensure more don't come along.

There are lots of ways to live beyond your means…you can buy expensive vehicles, TVs or any number of material goods. You can also live frugally but have more kids that you can afford to take care of. Either way, it is still living beyond your means.

That being said I do hope things work out for them.

-KeithP

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Six kids, and all of them are huge.

Regarding the six kids, if you read to the bottom you’ll note that his family fosters. I don’t know which of the kids are bio and which are adopted, and I’m ok not knowing.

I feel bad for the guy and its true teachers are grossly underpaid, however it certainly appears those kids have been eating well!

Ok, putting aside that size is a function of a lot of different factors beyond just diet, you do realize that processed and calorie-filled foods are a lot cheaper than healthy meals prepared from scratch?

There are lots of ways to live beyond your means…you can buy expensive vehicles, TVs or any number of material goods. You can also live frugally but have more kids that you can afford to take care of. Either way, it is still living beyond your means.

As far as I’ve ever known, the family has been what most of us would consider beyond frugal. Shopping at Grocery Outlet instead of regular stores, driving 10-15 year old cars, and moving at least twice to areas with signicantly lower cost of living (places that most people would find too undesirable to live.)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
You don't do it for the big bucks. You do it cause it's what you want to do. His predicament is shared with hundreds of thousands of people across the country. Many did things "rightish", but it wasn't right enough.

I think you’re pretty spot on there. Nobody makes perfect life decisions but when someone is more driven to serve than chase the highest dollar it means they may reap more life satisfaction dividends than salary dividends. He may have made that choice but I think it’s a bit of a bummer that for teachers it can be such a mutually exclusive set of life paths.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I imagine he and his family have updated their social media accounts to spread the word. I have virtually no social media presence, yet I get asked all the time for my info.
They actually haven’t. I think he’s struggling with the need to ask for help at all; someone kind of badgered him into creating the gofundme and it only came up when he and I were having a private conversation about what else he can personally do to shore up his financial situation. He would rather work his way out of this but IMO there’s no shame in putting the need out there and people can choose for themselves whether to help or not. I don’t think I can convince him to self-promote though; it’s just not in his nature.