Man ticketed after handing change to cop posing as panhandler

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
A man who received a $175 traffic ticket for unbuckling his seatbelt to give change to what turned out to be a police officer posing as a panhandler is likely to think twice before giving to the less fortunate again. Dane Rusk was driving away from a mall in Regina on Wednesday when he spotted what he thought was a panhandler on the side of the road.
“As I came up to the stop sign, I stopped and looked and I saw this homeless guy holding a sign,” Rusk said. “I instantly felt sorry for him.”

That’s when Rusk said he took off his seatbelt and grabbed $3 from his pocket.
“I reached out – I had to undo my seat belt, hang over and drop the change on the curb,” Rusk told CTV Regina.
Moments after dropping the change, Rusk was pulled over by police and issued a ticket.
“I said, ‘What do you mean? I didn’t talk to any police officer,’ and he said, ‘Well ya, you gave him money,’” Dusk said.
“I said, ‘Oh, the homeless guy?’”
The person Rusk handed change to was an undercover cop, and Rusk received the fine for not wearing a seat belt.
Rusk said he was “pretty shocked” by the incident. “The ticket’s $175 and the three dollars I gave to him – I’m out $178 all because I was trying to help out a homeless guy.”
But Regina police say this is nothing new. It’s part of a project that has police watching for traffic violations at intersections.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-ticketed-after-handing-change-to-cop-posing-as-panhandler-1.2940070

good thing there is no other crime in regina.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was initially outraged, then saw this happened in Canada, which is surprising, but.. I'm no longer outraged. :D

Nov 8, 2012
Considering you can sit on a corner and money will magically appear in your hand.... All I can say is this indeed a step forward, even for Canada. Take a step into any third world country. You won't see a single god damn person begging for money. You know what they do though? Try their ass off to earn money. When I was in Brazil there were tons of people trying to sell food and drinks at the corner. Zero were begging for money. Zero. For good reason too - no one was stupid enough to just put money in their pockets blindly.

I mean lets be honest - Only the lower and middle class is stupid enough to hand someone money for doing nothing. The term "A fool and their money are soon parted" is completely applicable to anyone that hands money to a bum that sits on a corner.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
this is why i don't give money to beggars, nothing good can come of it

the only time i did was when i thought one was going to shank me at a gas station at 2 AM

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Considering you can sit on a corner and money will magically appear in your hand.... All I can say is this indeed a step forward, even for Canada. Take a step into any third world country. You won't see a single god damn person begging for money. You know what they do though? Try their ass off to earn money. When I was in Brazil there were tons of people trying to sell food and drinks at the corner. Zero were begging for money. Zero. For good reason too - no one was stupid enough to just put money in their pockets blindly.

I mean lets be honest - Only the lower and middle class is stupid enough to hand someone money for doing nothing. The term "A fool and their money are soon parted" is completely applicable to anyone that hands money to a bum that sits on a corner.

did you read the article?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Must be nice that Canada is crime free enough that they have cops to spare for that duty...

Doubt that would fly here with all the crap we have south of Canada.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
I've heard of this stuff here in the states. It isn't entrapment if they aren't luring people into breaking the law.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Holy crap that is fucked up. I wonder if that is entrapment since he otherwise wouldn't have unbuckled his seat belt if it had not been for the cop causing him to feel empathy? Then again does entrapment even come into play since this is considered "civil"?

Horrendously fucked up regardless, I sure hope the locals go apeshit.

Nov 29, 2006
I don't know how a cop could wake up each morning with this on their conscience. That is some seriously low shit to do to someone.

How was your day Bob? "Oh it was freaking amazing. I got to dress like a bum to make some schmuck feel empathy for me. Then I got to ticket him to feed my donut obsession. Really doesn't get any better than this"

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so it's a seatbelt violation if you have your seatbelt off and you aren't moving?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Pretty obvious you didn't read the article. Also I've been to about two dozen at this point and I see beggars constantly. Hell, when I was in Ecuador you would literally be followed around by packs of begging children.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005

You sure it didn't have anything to do with people in 3rd world countries not having a whole lot of disposable income to spare?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
This is beyond ridiculous. Police don't have other things to do?

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Makes me wonder about all the times I had to undo my seatbelt to get change from the glove box when going into a toll road. I'm probably due 20 or 30 seat belt tickets.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Regina made it to p&n

Regina is usually the murder and crime capital of Canada, I think Saskatoon took it last year though
There was 7 or 8 murders in Regina last year

Here's the police doing it in Maryland last year

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/27/cop-poses-as-homeless-man-to-catch-texting-drivers.html

Yeah. Except the cop in Maryland didn't take any money, and held a sign clearly saying he was not homeless and he's trying to catch people texting and driving.
Not nearly as egregious.

But don't let that get in the way of Earl sputtering out another false equivalence.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah. Except the cop in Maryland didn't take any money, and held a sign clearly saying he was not homeless and he's trying to catch people texting and driving.
Not nearly as egregious.

But don't let that get in the way of Earl sputtering out another false equivalence.

I didn't know your big beef was with the cop's sign
I thought everyone was pissed because of the seatbelt rap when the dude clearly didn't deserve it
I'd be willing to bet his ticket is tossed out of court
These popo are doing the same thing the popo in the US are doing, giving out cell phone and seatbelt tickets
I'll give you that the cops in my Maryland article gave you a chance to put your seatbelt on and put your phone down if you read their sign far enough away