Man switches from Obamacare plan to Trumpcare junk plan, gets himself tested for Coronaviru$$$$

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Are you the guy who, in this very thread, said you "weren't up on it" with regard to savings. I guess you've become a content expert in the last 19 hours? Dude, we can read what you write. It's right here.

No one can foresee everything even with the best planning.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
purely anecdotal, do not read tl:dr

It's time to see the system for what it is, a broken waste of mountains of our money.
I am an International Union of Operating Engineers member some 29 years now. Due to the weather dependent nature of our trade, we employ a money bank system to carry our benefits across the lean wet winter months. Employers contribute 1.x per month, and that .x difference builds up that bank, up to 8 months. After that it gets absorbed by the "system", supposedly covering for the actual costs. All of that is buried somewhere in the annual report.
A month of coverage costs $1006 of that money bank until June, until it gets recalculated based on those costs. I have been out of work since mid-December due to a shoulder surgery. IF the rate does not go up too much, I will have coverage through August.
After the surgery I got a message from the hospital about a small amount that had been settled between my insurance and the providers, with me owing $56 for that tiny portion of the surgery costs. That is inconsequential, but what I saw while I was logged in was mind boggling.
There was an informational line item for $125,600 for my outpatient surgery, a blanket grossiosity that would induce a coronary in anyone less informed by the broken system and processes.
$125,600
I was there 6 hours total.
We know that the actual money that will change hands is a fraction of this, but the fact that this figure exists anywhere is testament to the greed and profiteering in the US health care system. Some without insurance will be seeing this bill as reality, as a life of bankruptcy and ruin.
The hospital is Good Samaritan, and they turn no one away. There is a big fund of nonprofit money to help out, but my insurance, everyone's insurance foots the bill for the uninsured and underinsured.
It's time to forget about " we got ours" and think about the reality that everybody is already getting a piece of what we think is "ours".

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If you are 49 years old and only have a life savings of $9,000 then you are doing it all wrong.
This might surprise you to hear, but if everyone took as good financial care of themselves as you do, you'd be broke too.

Capitalism encourages stratification, without the poors you wouldn't be well off.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Are you the guy who, in this very thread, said you "weren't up on it" with regard to savings. I guess you've become a content expert in the last 19 hours? Dude, we can read what you write. It's right here.
Cool opinion bro. Now go educate yourself about the millions of your fellow Americans "doing it wrong", literally > 100 million

I previously recommended a video documentary to watch also.

No I'm not up on how Every American Saves money. But I do know that someone that owns a 300K house in South Carolina and only has 9K in savings is doing it wrong.

Yes, it is my opinion.

If you can't save more than 9K in 30 years working and living in a 300K house then you are definitly doing it wrong. in My Opinion.

Do you think he is doing it right?

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
This might surprise you to hear, but if everyone took as good financial care of themselves as you do, you'd be broke too.

Capitalism encourages stratification, without the poors you wouldn't be well off.

You have no idea. :p

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

How much you have in savings.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
How much you have in savings.
Kinda weird question, but I don't mind answering. For reference, in my early 30s, married, 1 kid.

About 700k in tax advantaged accounts (403b's, 457b's, and Roth IRAs between my wife an I) and just slightly under 100k in cash which we're trying to build back up. I have some other money in a brokerage account, but it's not really savings.

Does that help? Doing your research one person at a time?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
No I'm not up on how Every American Saves money. But I do know that someone that owns a 300K house in South Carolina and only has 9K in savings is doing it wrong.

Yes, it is my opinion.

If you can't save more than 9K in 30 years working and living in a 300K house then you are definitly doing it wrong. in My Opinion.

I have no idea what the particulars of that guy's life are. I certainly agree that it's not enough savings, but I have no idea (aside from just speculation) why it's so low.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Kinda weird question, but I don't mind answering. For reference, in my early 30s, married, 1 kid.

About 700k in tax advantaged accounts (403b's, 457b's, and Roth IRAs between my wife an I) and just slightly under 100k in cash which we're trying to build back up. I have some other money in a brokerage account, but it's not really savings.

Does that help? Doing your research one person at a time?

Maybe.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Man, you've really gotten even worse lately, huh? After that meltdown Starbuck had recently, should we be worried about you?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just expressing my idea about the subject of this thread. As usual some have an issue with my opinion that this dude is screwed up...

Don't really care it doesn't effect me in the least.

Where did Starbuck have a meltdown?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Yes, it is my opinion.

I would need much more information to determine any "wrong or right" stance.

Regardless, you have the tools to get up to date on the plight of Americans.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Just expressing my idea about the subject of this thread. As usual some have an issue with my opinion that this dude is screwed up...

Don't really care it doesn't effect me in the least.

Where did Starbuck have a meltdown?
I forget which thread it was. It was like a robot that blew a circuit, kept responding in a handful of one to three word responses without actually responding with any substance.

I mean.....

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I forget which thread it was. It was like a robot that blew a circuit, kept responding in a handful of one to three word responses without actually responding with any substance.

I mean.....

Starbuck starting slipping away when the Mueller report was released.

Reactions: TheVrolok

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I mean.....

Don't be so hard on yourself.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm struggling to see how whether or not we think one guy is bad at money fits in a discussion about our healthcare system.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Yes, it is my opinion.

Someone owns a home in that price range and can easily afford it and has half a million in liquid assets. Then we have the heart attack or similar and the person cannot work. The poor sap can't be fired easily so cut him to a few hours and his benefits too.

He is now and forever in the red and being at a disadvantage in a given market has to spend his savings, 300k home even if he owns it. If he sells it that won't solve his problems because bankruptcy laws aren't what they were.

What did he do wrong? He needed to replace the batteries in his crystal ball maybe.

Reactions: hal2kilo