MAN! Someone stole my bike locked down with 2 locks.

LivinLaVivaPollo

Dec 29, 2000
God damn it. The FIRST DAY I ride my brand new bike to class, it gets stolen! I U-locked the frame down to the bike storage thing and then looped a cable lock around the wheels and frame. That's TWO LOCKS! I go into class for an hour, and when I walk out... it's gone! Man. I call the cops and they say, "Well, we'll keep an eye out for it..." The thief is probably long gone... I'm so discouraged by this I want to put up a sign by where it happened and say something to the extent of... "Yeah, I was testing that bike out for my brother that has leukemia, who will only have a year to live. I was going to give it to him for his 16th birthday. But you stole it. Shame on you." It's not true. But I want him to feel guilty at least.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
wow, looks like someone really had it out for your bike. sorry to hear about that.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
What school do you go to?... that's just sad... :| Hell if they steal motorcycles... i'm sure they'll steal bikes... :(

My friend's motorcycle got stolen... front wheel was locked down... so they took everything else... and left the front wheel. :Q

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
why would anyone want to steal a bicycle? and in my opinion you advertised a bit when you put 2 locks on it. i bet that if you had just laid it against a tree it woulda still been there when you got it.

anyway, sorry to hear about your loss. it pisses me off to have something stolen, let alone something i just bought.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
How was the bike anchored, what was it attached to?

I have a feeling maybe the u-lock wasn't secure or it was attached to a part that could easiy be detached. U-locks are generally hard to get past. Someone might be spraying your bike a different color or they'll sell it at a bike shop somewhere. Go to some pawn shops and bike shops and keep an eye out for it.

LivinLaVivaPollo

Dec 29, 2000
I can try to ascii draw it for you.

__ | |__
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|__| |_ |
| |
| |
| |

Extremely crude drawing job. But basically it was a pole with two square loops on the side. I Ulocked my frame to the right loop. And then I cable locked both my wheels and frame to the left loop.

edit: doh. I guess Fusetalk doesn't allow for spacing.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Even with U-locks properly attached, most bike thieves can steal a bike in under thirty seconds flat.

The best you can do is create some deterrence that takes more than a minute to get through-30 seconds is the magic barrier for most thieves, though. If you ride a mountain bike in a city, you should worry more about getting your components stolen. In New York City, if you have a mountain bike with a suspension fork, you're just begging for it to be stolen.

Rob (leaves his bike in a bike locker, or takes his crappy road bike)

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Damn, that blows. They need to make instant 1-ton wieghts for anti theft devices.

In your pocket, it's only a pound, but when you attach ti to your bike, it turns into a 1 ton weight that attaches to the frame. Just lay that bike on the ground, activate the wieght and walk away.

Or they need to invent bikes that shrink and fit in your pocket.

RavnShield

Jul 18, 2002
Could they have lifted the bike up and over the pole...i heard that happened b4. Sorry for your loss, i know how it feels, i hope you find the guy, i did :evil:

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
In middle school some kid stole my bike that i left outside in front of the school... we came back a couple hours later and the bike was locked up on the bike rack. My dad called a friend who had giant lock cutters and we stole the bike back! take that you stupid theives

-Bubbadu

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Man, that totally sucks dude. But then again, it doesn't surprise me. Heck, someone actually climbed up the side of our building, onto my balcony and stole my bike from there. To clime 12 stories just to steal a bike, they must have needed it more than me. Or else they were really crazy.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
bikes get stolen all the time in here at U.C. Davis.

I got my first one stolen, then my second one's tire got jacked.

Now I just walk

I know someone who had a $1600 bike and it was stolen the first day, but his insurance covered it. Also, those Kryptonite U Locks have insurance and if you get your bike stolen, they cover some.

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
someone just broke into my family's car and jacked a cheap cd deck (just ripped it out of the deck) two nights ago. Sorry to hear that.

RavnShield

Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Dacalo
bikes get stolen all the time in here at U.C. Davis.

I got my first one stolen, then my second one's tire got jacked.

Now I just walk

I know someone who had a $1600 bike and it was stolen the first day, but his insurance covered it. Also, those Kryptonite U Locks have insurance and if you get your bike stolen, they cover some.

Woah! locks have insurance now? Maybe ill get a bike for the summer but have been reluctant to do so since i live in detroit.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
that's why you get the crappiest but functional bike...or a good bike that just looks beaten and crappy...

then nobody want your bike, but riding a brand new bike especially if it is really expensive or shiny...might attract attention...

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
this is the reason you don't ever bring a NEW bike to school! Only the equivalent of a "beater" bike, should be used...

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Many colleges have long since installed a good video surveillence system to monitor areas where theft is naturally going to be a problem, particularly student bike parking/storage racks.

Aren't there any antitheft devices which when triggered emit some God-forsaken screechy siren? I have never really had to deal with securing a bike, so I don't know what is available.
I'm so discouraged by this I want to put up a sign by where it happened and say something to the extent of... "Yeah, I was testing that bike out for my brother that has leukemia, who will only have a year to live. I was going to give it to him for his 16th birthday. But you stole it. Shame on you." It's not true. But I want him to feel guilty at least.
What are you kidding? These people would dump your hypothetically dying brother out of his wheelchair in the middle of the street then steal his wheelchair.

If they had any conscience at all, they wouldn't be stealing.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Don't worry about making the thief feel guilty. He will never be conscious of guilt, but he will never have the faintest idea either, what it means to have self respect. A thief announces to the world by his thievery that he not only feels inferior and has to cheat to have what others can earn by real accomplishment, he announces his actual inferiority too. A thief convicts himself by stealing.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Next week, put another bike there, then lie in wait. When the maggots come for that one, take their bolt cutters to their fingers! :|