Man shoots self while bowling in Florida.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
I am very "pro gun", but "accidental discharges" absolutely should have criminal repercussions.. If you want to carry, you have the responsibility to do so without jeopardizing the safety of everyone around you.. If you are too fucking stupid or lazy to do this, then you should not carry..

Having a gun in your pocket while bowling falls under the "too fucking stupid" category in my book.

Completely agree. If you are carrying such that you can't control when your gun discharges you are negligent and endangering the lives of those around you.

We charge drunk drivers even if they don't hit anyone/anything.

We should charge negligent gun owners even if their accidental discharge doesn't hit anyone.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
werepossum

Carrying a revolver on an empty chamber is long outdated. It's been decades since I've seen a revolver without a hammer safety. Without a safety, a blow to the hammer could discharge a chambered round, with one it is almost impossible. Fully cocking the hammer or fully depressing the trigger on a double action disengages the hammer safety. Either of the aforementioned actions will index the cylinder and advance an empty chamber from under the hammer and a loaded one will move under it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
werepossum

Carrying a revolver on an empty chamber is long outdated. It's been decades since I've seen a revolver without a hammer safety. Without a safety, a blow to the hammer could discharge a chambered round, with one it is almost impossible. Fully cocking the hammer or fully depressing the trigger on a double action disengages the hammer safety. Either of the aforementioned actions will index the cylinder and advance an empty chamber from under the hammer and a loaded one will move under it.
Go down to your local pawnshop; you'll find rather a lot of revolvers without hammer safeties.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
LOL at a town that's actually called Jupiter.

Welcome_to_Mars.jpg

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
You don't want a safety on a self defense gun. You want it to go off when you pull the trigger.

This wasn't an "accidental discharge", it's negligence. Probably wasn't in a proper holster and just stuck in his pocket. Stupid.

Completely agree. If you're going to carry, concealed or open, use proper equipment. This sounds like a situation where someone else could easily have been seriously injured.