Man, santa barbara homes are $$$$

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/rfs/316665371.html

The worst part is that it's not a statistical outlier. I need to move out of here, i'll never afford a house in this area it seems. haha

I don't want to leave the city either though, it's just too beautiful....

I'm so torn!

I don't understand why people can be attached to SB. There's _nothing_ there, aside from the main street and its bars filled with drunk students every night.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: paulney

The worst part is that it's not a statistical outlier. I need to move out of here, i'll never afford a house in this area it seems. haha

I'm so torn!

I don't understand why people can be attached to SB. There's _nothing_ there, aside from the main street and its bars filled with drunk students every night.

Surfing
Awesome motorcycle riding
Close enough to ventura to do stuff, far enough to avoid congestion/smog
BEAUTIFUL land
My awesome job
Not everyone likes big cities - i sure as hell dont.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003

I'm so torn!

Surfing
Awesome motorcycle riding
Close enough to ventura to do stuff, far enough to avoid congestion/smog
BEAUTIFUL land
My awesome job
Not everyone likes big cities - i sure as hell dont.

You can get all that and more in the Bay Area :)

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Been there done that (Danville, Half Moon Bay, Benicia). Too much traffic, too many stupid people. Though I am considering moving back to vacaville where my gf and family are.

Cities i've lived in and liked:
San luis obispo
Santa Barbara Monterey
Vacaville

Ones I didn't like:
Danville
Benicia
Modesto
Sac
1/2 MB

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Parasitic
What about Santa Cruz?
Another seemingly simple and awesome town.

I liked it - but theres waaaaaaay too many hippies there, plus tourism season is crazy busy

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003

< cut >
I've found the Santa Barbara area to offer more locally than just about any place I've traveled, or among places I've temporarily lived on work projects.

Mountains, ocean, lakes, winter-only world-class surfing, islands, trails, horses, wineries, mountain biking, camping, backpacking, publishing, boating, diving, fishing, wild creeks and rivers, cream-of-the-crop entertainment in wonderful local venues, superior intellectual culture, great colleges, abundant wildlife like bears, cougars, deer, whales, dolphins, otters, bald eagles year-round, etc., museums of all types, rich local art culture, etc.

Yes, it is expensive. Very expensive. As the recent thread comparing cost of living showed, housing here costs much more than in Beverly Hills down in L.A. Usually when I see headlines about some other place that has "the highest price for gas in the USA" or for other items, the prices here are always significantly higher than that. Maybe the best weather year-round in the entire world.

the main street and its bars filled with drunk students every night
That's just the superficial stuff the tourists & the from-outta-town students hit. It can be fun.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
^ good post

Besides - downtown SB is fun, especially for the 24-30 y/o crowd. It has a great variety of bars catering to all tastes:

College
Pub
Dance
New age
Cheers-like
Sports
Snob
Etc