Man rips head from Hitler wax figure in Berlin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ericlp
Hahaha Give it a rest and a break, it's pretty hilarious to see these idiots get worked up over a waxed statue.

I think it's pretty hilarious that Hitler lost his head again only this time by someone elses hand.:laugh:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs

You're a moron. Have you ever been to Germany? Ever lived in Germany? While there are neo nazis, theyre such a small percentage of the population theyre almost statistically insiginificant.

Yes, I have been to Germany. However, anecdotal evidence is irrelevant.

Sure they can be highly visible when they want to be, but the majority of Germans hate Nazis and are still embarrassed about their history. The majority of Germans don't know their national anthum and except during huge soccer tournaments, you never see the German flag flying in Germany because Germans are still nervous at showing ethnic pride due to their past history.

Edit: And furthermore, you quote articles that are 2 and 3 years old. If there were such huge problems with Nazi's wouldn't we have seen them in these past 2 or 3 years?

Have we not?

Also, two of the articles you post aren't very convincing. Germans have a negative view of Islam? So do most Americans. Big Deal. The Germans aren't advocating that they kill all Muslims, they just think that its unlikely that Christians and Muslims won't get along.

They sure seem to be on the forefront of that movement.

And the other one, that young kids don't know about history? Theres a huge difference between pretending something didn't happen and not knowing about it. Look at American kids these days. Most of them can't even find Iraq on a map, and would probably get the answer wrong about when the war of 1812 started.

Hitler and his Holocausts seem to be quite the defining moment in modern German history.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
In Germany it's illegal to do most things associated with the Nazis, I can see why this guy would be upset about a life-like version of Hitler.

There is no rational reason be upset about a life size version of Hitler unless your on a bad Sci-fi movie and fear that wax people are going to be reanimated.

How about if a man walked into your home and slit the throat of a couple of your family members. Would you be angry then if someone built a wax replica of that person and stuck it in a museum?
The man is responsible for many millions of deaths in Germany alone. There are still millions of people living in Germany today suffering the consequences of the hell on earth that was WWII many who remember the atrocities and nightmares of war and many who grew up without parents or brothers & sisters. Because it's not real to you doesn't mean they didn't live it. This is not some television movie.
OF COURSE there are rational reasons for people to be upset.
Step outside your front door and go learn about real life.

Yes, how dare a museum have a display about history.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I bet you're a big fan of Hitler. Just think of all those damn Europeans you hate so much he killed. It probably gives you a little stiffy just thinking about it.

COW is probably the secret identity for one of Brigitte Bardot's anarchist cabana boy-toys. ;)

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
In Germany it's illegal to do most things associated with the Nazis, I can see why this guy would be upset about a life-like version of Hitler.

There is no rational reason be upset about a life size version of Hitler unless your on a bad Sci-fi movie and fear that wax people are going to be reanimated.

How about if a man walked into your home and slit the throat of a couple of your family members. Would you be angry then if someone built a wax replica of that person and stuck it in a museum?
The man is responsible for many millions of deaths in Germany alone. There are still millions of people living in Germany today suffering the consequences of the hell on earth that was WWII many who remember the atrocities and nightmares of war and many who grew up without parents or brothers & sisters. Because it's not real to you doesn't mean they didn't live it. This is not some television movie.

So you are saying.... history negates history?:confused:

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

So you are saying.... history negates history?:confused:

Germany has yet to escape the shadow of the Holocaust and of Hitler. Putting him on display in a museum simply begs for someone to rip his head off or otherwise deface the exhibit. Plus, Germans are constantly reminded of the Holocaust and of the Nazi legacy. I don't see what wax museum really brings to the table besides a life-like image of Hitler. If anything, the context of his presence in the museum (among heroes, athletes, etc) would upset most people I'd think.

For those in this thread who claim or believe that neo-Nazis are now somehow 'dominating' Germany, that simply isn't true. Although radical right-wing groups have had something of a rebirth in the past decade, their growth is not that significant and reflects a growing trend across Europe. Radical right-wing groups are far more popular in countries other than Germany and, really, are only popular within Germany itself because of the presence of the Turks and other immigrants.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I bet you're a big fan of Hitler. Just think of all those damn Europeans you hate so much he killed. It probably gives you a little stiffy just thinking about it.

COW is probably the secret identity for one of Brigitte Bardot's anarchist cabana boy-toys. ;)
Actually he's an Indian who resents the Europeans greatly for what Britain did to India and has been taking shots at Europeans since day one of his membership here.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

Show me a link stating that the germans want concentration camps in the NA Desert.

This was quite popular in the news.

EU: Germany Revisits Controversial Idea Of Asylum Centers Outside EU

Once again, you give me an article that 4 years old. Provide me with a recent news link about it from a major news organization.

And they sure as shit ain't "concentration camps" as you have alleged.

That's a fairly recent article. It shows that the Germans wanted concentration camps.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Actually he's an Indian who resents the Europeans greatly for what Britain did to India and has been taking shots at Europeans since day one of his membership here.

Nah, but you can be a pretend psychologist if you want to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Show me a link stating that the germans want concentration camps in the NA Desert.

This was quite popular in the news.

EU: Germany Revisits Controversial Idea Of Asylum Centers Outside EU

Once again, you give me an article that 4 years old. Provide me with a recent news link about it from a major news organization.

And they sure as shit ain't "concentration camps" as you have alleged.

That's a fairly recent article. It shows that the Germans wanted concentration camps.

It shows nothing of the sort.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Only if you pretend to be Sane.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KIRBYEE
We need a Moonbeam analysis on CanOWorms. ;)

CanOWorms is the most prejudiced person on these boards that I've seen. There's a beam in your eye. I still love you tho sweetie, don't worry. :heart:

It's interesting how the person who criticizes the racism is the racist. Yet the people who vehemently fight against the idea that racism even exists and spout bigoted things are pure.

I guess you are just a little down from Jesse Helms' passing.:laugh:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

It doesn't take a doctorate to see you are a Europhobe. Every single time a thread pops up about Europe you chime in with you foaming at the mouth anti European diatribes.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

It doesn't take a doctorate to see you are a Europhobe. Every single time a thread pops up about Europe you chime in with you foaming at the mouth anti European diatribes.

It's not europhobia. European affairs are my interest and many people on this forum are ignorant of European policies and social situation.

Apparently there are lots of Americanphobes, Israeliphobes, etc. then. Some people will criticize the Bush administration's actions. Many criticize Israel. Many criticize Saudi Arabia. I criticize the European actions. It's really no different.

What is important is why you are so vehemently against it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

It shows nothing of the sort.

Interesting, it shows it to me. Maybe something is wrong with your computer.

Unless you are using some insane and hugely broad definition of concentration camp that has no connection to how it is commonly used, what is described in that article is nothing approaching a concentration camp.

Maybe something is wrong with your brain.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KIRBYEE
We need a Moonbeam analysis on CanOWorms. ;)

CanOWorms is the most prejudiced person on these boards that I've seen. There's a beam in your eye. I still love you tho sweetie, don't worry. :heart:

It's close, but I think buttbean takes the cake.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
uh... free speech? i think this is a bigger issue... if we follow this reasoning we should not have stuff about Vietnam or either world war in museums here, or, heck, we should not have any airplanes either, cuz they may offend someone.

its a privately owned place, not a government owned place.
the guy should be charged.
people should learn about their history, instead of just pushing it away.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: herm0016
uh... free speech? i think this is a bigger issue... if we follow this reasoning we should not have stuff about Vietnam or either world war in museums here, or, heck, we should not have any airplanes either, cuz they may offend someone.

its a privately owned place, not a government owned place.
the guy should be charged.
people should learn about their history, instead of just pushing it away.

Actually there is free speech and there are also numerous places to go in Germany to learn about WWII. No one here is arguing against free speech. I think we all agree that they should have the right to have a statue of Hitler yet most of us would also applaud someone tearing it down.:thumbsup: