Man Proposes In Front Star Trek Cast....Gets Proper Picard Facepalm (pic)

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Will Wheaton explains:

Sure. Here's what happened:
It was Sunday at Austin Wizard World Con. I had the flu, and almost missed this photo session. Though I had a fever and no cowbell, I sat there and smiled for everyone as best as I could, grateful that I'd spent the entire night throwing up so there was nothing left in me to vomit all over the fans like I was cosplaying from the Exorcist.
The way this sort of photo session works is pretty standard: people come in, stand next to Patrick, say a few words, and then we all pose for the picture. Each person is there for less than half a minute (which I think really sucks because of how much they pay for the opportunity, but is pretty much the only way we can manage the hundreds of people who usually sign up for these things.)
About 30 minutes or so into this particular session, these two people came in. The girl went to stand between Patrick and Frakes, and the guy directed her to stand in the front, instead. All of us tried to figure out what was going on (usually it's small kids who come to the front, usually sitting on Brent's lap or Gates' lap), and the guy said, "I really love Star Trek, but I love [her name] even more." He got down on one knee, and proposed to her.
Marina started to cry, I felt like I was going to cry, and we all applauded and celebrated when she said "yes." Apparently, they'd met Marina earlier in the day, and Marina had given him shit for not marrying her, so Marina was embarrassed about that.
I'm not sure why this picture is being circulated online, like Patrick is giving the literal Picard Facepalm, because that's just not what happened. We were all delighted for this young couple, and I know that I was honoured to be part of this moment in their lives. I think it's likely that Patrick was just wiping sweat off his brow or something like that.
It wasn't awkward, other than that moment when everyone except the guy had no idea what was going on. Once we knew what was happening, it was awesome. I'm incredibly happy for these people, and I love that I got to be part of what is hopefully a moment they'll celebrate and remember for the rest of their lives.
14FEj.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/12rtjs/man_proposes_to_girlfriend_in_front_of_entire/

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
It really doesn't look like he is wiping sweat off of his forehead. It looks like his arms were cross (negative body language) and he face palmed.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It really doesn't look like he is wiping sweat off of his forehead. It looks like his arms were cross (negative body language) and he face palmed.

I'm thinking about what it would be like if I did that, and if my arms were already crossed and I went to wipe my brow, I would most likely look similar to Sir Patrick Stewart... except not nearly as studly. :p

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Epic IRL Picard facepalm is Epic, but Frakes' reaction is fucking priceless!

RRbS3.jpg

Best article comment: I guess when the cast of Star Trek tells you to engage, you make it so.

Best Wil Wheaton related photochop:

uvgQk.jpg

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
This has happened before at like a book signing or other conference and at least then PS gave his "Make it so!" blessing.

I guess this one is headed for divorce.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
SO she forced him to marry her? And the guy actually went along?
Troi was just ribbing him:

"Apparently, they'd met Marina earlier in the day, and Marina had given him shit for not marrying her, so Marina was embarrassed about that."

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
awesome. I had to look up wil wheaton. I understand the big bang theory references now.