Man is beaten to a coma for stopping to help child who jumped in front of his truck

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 7, 2009
I cannot believe that you are trying to act like the 'beating wasn't that bad'. Trayvon supporters all over again.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Thank goodness someone was armed and willing to stop the crowd of thugs from their assault.

Yeah, but wouldn't she have done the same thing if she hadn't been armed? I think she would. She didn't use the weapon. In fact I think it's good that she didn't brandish it because making an angry mob feel threatened is a sure-fire way to get yourself into trouble.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
He is in a medically induced coma

Yeah, we all get that. What's your point?

It is a fact that Doctors are not sure if he'll ever awaken from this with his marbles in tact. I don't know why it's important that he's in a medically induced coma. Is that somehow better than another kind of coma? Either way it's a hell of a lot more serious than any urinary tract injuries.

In fairness, I'll give you my point:

There's no way you can embellish a medically induced coma case by talking about urinary tract issues

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
Yeah, but wouldn't she have done the same thing if she hadn't been armed? I think she would. She didn't use the weapon. In fact I think it's good that she didn't brandish it because making an angry mob feel threatened is a sure-fire way to get yourself into trouble.

Kudos to her for stepping up but one out of 100 isn't a good batting avg. I'm not impressed

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Where is Al and Jesse at ??

OH thats right!

Al+sharpton+-+I+hate+white+people+this+much.jpg

Nothing to see here folks, move along!

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
People need to realize there are some things in life you can not prepare for. This is one of them. The thugs should be put behind bars, but rattling your cane at the sky saying everyone should be carrying because this guy got jumped is a bit of a stretch.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
People need to realize there are some things in life you can not prepare for. This is one of them. The thugs should be put behind bars, but rattling your cane at the sky saying everyone should be carrying because this guy got jumped is a bit of a stretch.

You can absolutely prepare for this. Watch your back, don't stop and if attacked make sure you have extra magazines on you. 17 rounds plus two backup 16 round mags would work. Or even better just break out an AR and have extra loaded 30 round mags for that ready to go as well.

The purpose of your handgun is to get to your rifle.

Nothing but death for you here mob, move along, stay back and do not advance lest you get dead. Once a few of their buddies gets their head exploded they'll back off.

His first mistake was not being armed, his second mistake was stopping. You can use your car as a deadly weapon if necessary and maybe what he should have been thinking about. When you see thugs about, DO NOT STOP and be prepared to run them over.

Last edited:

LetsGetReal

Apr 8, 2014

This is only the beginning. Racist mob violence will increase more and more as it is tolerated and protected and mis identified by the left. ie callign fort hood shooting work place violence. etc etc.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Sorry to interrupt your jerk, but why isn't anyone talking about Deborah Huges, the retired nurse who immediately came to Utash's aid (as well as the boy who was hit) and stopped the mob from beating him. She also gave him medical attention on the scene and brought him back from being unconscious. She stayed with him until EMS arrived and helped them get him situated before whisking him off.

I only saw one person make a statement which I assume was about her. But, it was just a blurp, that's it.

Oh, and there is also a Pastor that is donating money to Utash's medical fund that was going to be used to repair the church after it was damaged by a fire.

I guess it doesn't fit into your reality that everyone in Detroit is a savage animal. Good people exist everywhere.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
Sorry to interrupt your jerk, but why isn't anyone talking about Deborah Huges, the retired nurse who immediately came to Utash's aid (as well as the boy who was hit) and stopped the mob from beating him. She also gave him medical attention on the scene and brought him back from being unconscious. She stayed with him until EMS arrived and helped them get him situated before whisking him off.

I only saw one person make a statement which I assume was about her. But, it was just a blurp, that's it.

Oh, and there is also a Pastor that is donating money to Utash's medical fund that was going to be used to repair the church after it was damaged by a fire.

I guess it doesn't fit into your reality that everyone in Detroit is a savage animal. Good people exist everywhere.

Carry on.

You obviously aren't paying attention. I gave her props 10 posts prior to yours:
Kudos to her for stepping up

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36243804&postcount=104

Next time do your homework before popping off...

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
I didn't "pop off".

I guess you missed the part where I said

I did see that and the answer to your question is in my post. The reason not more is being said about her is that she was literally one in a hundred. 99% of that neighborhood were not of her character so it stands to reason that 99% of the comments will be negative. Don't you think it's amazing that only one person helped this dying man? I think that's the headline but I will grant you that she may very well have saved his life

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I'm just curious...where are you guys getting this idea that 100 people because up Utash? I keep seeing this over and over in this thread. I am only asking because that is NOT what the Detroit Police and others close to this case have reported. It was more like 10-12 people. Not sure where 100 came from.

Also, I am not sure how you can say "99%" of the neighborhood was out of character. There were other people present who probably felt they were powerless to do something and there are some people who were not aware of what was going on.

For example, the attendant at the Gas station was only a few feet away from Utash but was unaware of what was going on ( I believe he knew the child was hit). All he saw were people running and he stayed inside to protect the store.

There are a lot of good people like Mrs. Hughes in Detroit. Its just that nobody likes to talk about them.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Utash remains in critical condition &#8212; two days after accidentally hitting a 10-year-old boy with his company pickup on Detroit&#8217;s east side...
EVERYONE should simply refuse to do any sort of business in that area unless they are heavily armed, have backup, and getting combat pay.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
I'm just curious...where are you guys getting this idea that 100 people because up Utash? I keep seeing this over and over in this thread. I am only asking because that is NOT what the Detroit Police and others close to this case have reported. It was more like 10-12 people. Not sure where 100 came from.

Also, I am not sure how you can say "99%" of the neighborhood was out of character. There were other people present who probably felt they were powerless to do something and there are some people who were not aware of what was going on.

For example, the attendant at the Gas station was only a few feet away from Utash but was unaware of what was going on ( I believe he knew the child was hit). All he saw were people running and he stayed inside to protect the store.

There are a lot of good people like Mrs. Hughes in Detroit. Its just that nobody likes to talk about them.

Fair question. Here's where the 100 came from:
"It wasn't right," Ms Hughes told the broadcaster, adding 100 people were standing by but she was the only one who told the group to stop.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26948877

I don't know about you but I wouldn't just stand around and watch a guy get murdered. At the very least I'd call 911. According to Ms Hughes she's the only one who even verbally told them to stop.

Knowing all that, I don't know what point you're trying to make

Sep 7, 2009

I have clarified in this thread that 100-150 bystanders were cheering on the assault. And it was 10-15 thugs doing the beating, not counting the people who pulled their vehicles over to get in a couple of kicks.

I and others have given plenty of credit to the (thankfully armed) woman who stopped the assault. Not sure why you feel as though she deserves "special treatment".........?

Perhaps the reason you don't hear tons of good stories about the good people in detroit is because there aren't very many stories to tell?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Knowing all that, I don't know what point you're trying to make

There's a difference between reporting that 100 people were standing by and saying that 100 people were involved in his beating.

I can't make it any clearer than that. If you read through the thread, some people are under the impression that he was beaten by 100 people.

You also don't know if anyone else called 911 or not.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't just stand around and watch a guy get murdered.

A lot of people say that until they are witnessing someone get murdered. The bystander effect is very real and is not limited to people living in rough neighborhoods.

Also, I think you are taking "100" people to be a very literal representation of how many people were actually there. She had no way of knowing this since she was right in the middle of it. She attended to David and then she attended to Mr. Utash, I don't think Deborah had time to count heads.

They have quite a bit of the incident on video. This is how they ended up making 4 arrests.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I'm guessing its something like when you're getting beaten by a mob, you're supposed to look around, do a count and conclude "Oh, only 58% of the people here are actually participating in my murder, the rest are just standing around cheering and gawking ... one is trying to help me. ITS NOT SUCH A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD AFTER ALL...!" If you can process all that before falling into a coma.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I'm guessing its something like when you're getting beaten by a mob, you're supposed to look around, do a count and conclude "Oh, only 58% of the people here are actually participating in my murder, the rest are just standing around cheering and gawking ... one is trying to help me. ITS NOT SUCH A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD AFTER ALL...!" If you can process all that before falling into a coma.

Is that what you think I am trying to say?

And you people accuse me of taking things out of context. ^_^

Sep 7, 2009
The crowed cheering out on the beating outnumbered the thugs 10:1.

It's a pretty pathetic excuse to say they felt scared to intervene.

And who cares if they called 911? Totally irrelevant, as the police in detroit generally don't respond for hours if at all.

The crowd should have stopped the assault. It says a lot to detroit's character that over a 100 people cheered this on and only 1 person cared enough to step in.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Sure sounds like it. Who gives a flying F about percentages? This was a fucked up situation all the way around.