Man fined in DC for saving a child's life with gun.

Jan 25, 2011
Thought gun advocates were all about enforcing existing laws, not creating new ones. What's the problem?

He was in violation of the law plain and simple.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Thought gun advocates were all about enforcing existing laws, not creating new ones. What's the problem?

He was in violation of the law plain and simple.

The problem is that he had to break a law to save a childs life. I am quite sure he won't have any problems paying the $1,000 fine through donations if need be.

So a law abiding citizen in this case would have had to leave his guns at home, or not have one in the first place, and try to help the boy some other way. I am not saying that had no one had a gun, the kid definately would have died, but no one can argue the expediency of a firearm in saving the kids life in this case.

“We took it into account that he saved this boy’s life,” Mr. Gest said.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Authorities last week made an agreement not to prosecute a Northwest D.C. man who used his unregistered handgun to kill a pit bull in order to stop it from mauling a child in his neighborhood.

As part of the agreement, Benjamin Srigley, 39, was required to pay a $1,000 fine but will not have criminal charges filed against him for the three unregistered firearms and the ammunition that investigators found in his possession, said Ted Gest, a spokesman for the office of the attorney general.
What we have here is a man in criminal possession of 3 unregistered guns.

He catches the attention of authorities by saving a life. They go over him with a fine toothed comb, discover his crimes. Legally they cannot ignore him. Its his ass or theirs.

He's very lucky they have the leeway not to jail him.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I think the title is misleading.

He got the fine for having unlicensed guns. Yes, the guns came to the police's attention because he used one to defend the kid, but the DA is taking it easy on him as a 'reward' for saving the kid.

I.e., no fine for saving the kid using a gun, per se.

Fern

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I think the title is misleading.

He got the fine for having unlicensed guns. Yes, the guns came to the police's attention because he used one to defend the kid, but the DA is taking it easy on him as a 'reward' for saving the kid.

I.e., no fine for saving the kid using a gun, per se.

Fern

He was charged the maximum amount, but was not prosecuted. I would have just forced him to register the weapons and gave him a pat on the back.

Child getting mauled? Have a gun and the will to do something about it?

Walk away. You'll get fined.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
He was charged the maximum amount, but was not prosecuted. I would have just forced him to register the weapons and gave him a pat on the back.

Well, I agree that I prefer they just make him register his guns to be in compliance. But they could have fined him $7,000 and prosecuted him for a (max) 7 year sentence, then there's lawyer fess etc.

A $1,000 fine and no prosecution seems like quite a deal to me.

Fern

Jan 25, 2011

He about follow the appropriate firearms laws in the first place?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Um.... responsible and LAW ABIDING gun owners REGISTER their guns!

Geez, these NRA types don't even want to follow the laws that are on the books.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Misleading title. There was no fine issued for saving a child's life.

Time to brush up on ye olde reading comprehension.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
This is a perfect example of gun advocates contradicting themselves. "We don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we have." ok lets enforce the laws we have. "Oh come on this is bullshit, he saved a life, you shouldn't enforce the laws we already have"

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yes, because the average gun advocate is totally talking about Washington DC's gun laws, which are among the most restrictive in the nation.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
So only enforce the laws that the NRA says we should enforce? If you don't like the laws, vote the people out making the laws. Or move.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
So only enforce the laws that the NRA says we should enforce? If you don't like the laws, vote the people out making the laws. Or move.

My point is more the snarky attitude of posters in this thread, including yours. You could generalize it to anything. For example, what's wrong with Medicare Part D? I thought libruls liked free healthcare! Why not allow incestuous and polygamous marriages? I thought libruls supported equality! That some gun advocates support enforcing some currently-existing gun laws doesn't mean they have to support every law that does exist.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'd take the fine anyday over living with a guilty conscience of letting a kid get attacked and not doing anything about it.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Given that it is legal to own firearms in DC provided they are properly registered, this sounds reasonable. He did the right thing in saving the child's life.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So what is the reason why his guns werent registered? It doesnt sound like he is a felon. Registeration too cumbersome or impossible to attain?