Man faces 30 years to life for stealing a doughnut.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
oh i do hope a jury is actually smart with that one and don't get brainwashed by the prosecution.
and i thought defense lawyers were the manipulative ones.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
wow. it's a doughnut people. and man that guy's cheap. 52 cents? that pretty cheap.

It's probably just compulsive for him, he has a significant criminal history.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
So if him shoving the clerk is assault, what is the clerk grabbing him? Seems pretty stupid to me. Not to mention putting him away for 15 years for this. Yeah he's got a record and history of small petty crimes, but 15 years? They need to get real.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I wouldn't mind seeing him stay in jail a year or so. I'm not particularly fond of the "but it costs so little" argument for getting off scot-free.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: yllus
I wouldn't mind seeing him stay in jail a year or so. I'm not particularly fond of the "but it costs so little" argument for getting off scot-free.

You probably steal mp3s that cost $1

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: yllus

I believe he should spend some time, of course. But I think 30 years is a bit ridiculous. Some murderers don't even get 30 years. :confused:

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
About a decade ago when I was more stupid... I got pinched for trying to steal a single whiffle ball at a store. I was let go without any repercussions as the cost of the whiffle ball was 30 cents, and not enough to prosecute or something, as I was told by the store security.

Dude really should not have pushed the clerk...

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
He assaulted an older woman, who cares about what he stole. He also has a LONG criminal history, sounds like society would be better off with this douche behind bars.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I'm glad no one considers it robbery in the form of taxes to pay for this kind of crap.

She touched him first, where's the issue?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: markgm
I'm glad no one considers it robbery in the form of taxes to pay for this kind of crap.

are you kidding? she touched him first?

she has the right to stop a thief. him useing force to get away then adds on more charges.

since he has a criminal past he is now paying for it.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If I recall correctly, last time I worked for a convenience store, we weren't allowed to grab at somebody suspected of shop lifting.

That woman was wrong. She deserved the shove. At most, as a "persistent offender" the guy deserves a year, maybe two. Not 5-30 years.

He should have let her grab him and wrestle him to the ground - lawsuit time! (Which is why we weren't allowed to go after shop lifters)

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

she has the right to stop a thief. him useing force to get away then adds on more charges.

I missed the law that say I can hurt or touch someone who's doing something wrong and they can't do anything back to me.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
The title should read: "Man faces 30 years to life for commiting a felony".

Maybe if this was a 15 year old kid we could "give him a second chance" but this is a grown man and a hardened criminal that has already spent a decade in jail. Lets put him away for good - one less hood rat on the streets.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I missed the law that say I can hurt or touch someone who's doing something wrong and they can't do anything back to me.

ok now thats retarded.

you have the right to stop a criminal from stealing from you. if he didnt want her to touch him the idiot shouldnt have stolen the damn doughnut eh?

if he had shot her in his attempt to get away he would be charged with murder.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001

ok now thats retarded.

you have the right to stop a criminal from stealing from you. if he didnt want her to touch him the idiot shouldnt have stolen the damn doughnut eh?

I'm missing your point, if she had shot him in his attempt to get away she would be charged with murder.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

ok now thats retarded.

I'm missing your point, if she had shot him in his attempt to get away she would be charged with murder.

if he was attmepting to get away? depends on the state.

but she still ahs the right to try to stop him and no it is not assualt or forgive him for hitting her.

if he did not want to be put in such a situation he should NOT Have robbed the place.

he is a carrer criminal. i have no problem with him going away for a long time. he is not going to change.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
So if him shoving the clerk is assault, what is the clerk grabbing him? Seems pretty stupid to me. Not to mention putting him away for 15 years for this. Yeah he's got a record and history of small petty crimes, but 15 years? They need to get real.

:laugh:

Were you serious? :confused:

In any event, Missouri's citizen's arrest law applies to shoplifting. A store can detain you for stealing a donut.

http://www.showme.net/~capegad...ETSHOPLIFTINGFORCE.htm

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Its a donut, and the guy has some issues. Get him some help, but no jail for more than a month.

sure but then you add in the fact he has been arrested over a dozen times and spent 10+ years in jail.

him assaulting the lady while stealing the doughnut hurts.

i suspect if this was his first time he would have got a slap on the wrist. but with his history they are going to put him away for a long time. and i would agree with it.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Regardless of his past, the severity of the crime doesn't merit the severity of the penalty that is potentially coming his way. The judicial system has to deal with so much stupid crap these days. What a waste of time and tax payer money.