Man embezzles $4.8 million and spends $1 million on mobile game

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
That Kate Upton commercial seems to have worked, at least on this guy.

http://kotaku.com/guy-steals-1-million-from-work-spends-it-on-bad-video-1789892222

Kevin Lee Co, a 45 year-old man from Rocklin, California, pled guilty to charges of wire fraud and money laundering, having been caught stealing $4.8 million from his employer between 2008 and 2015. Some of which he spent rather poorly.

Co, who used to work in the accounting department of Holt of California before being found out, spent most of the money on stuff like furniture, fast cars and NBA season tickets, according to a California district attorney.

He also spent around $1 million on what the courts initially described as an “online video game”. Which it turns out was the mobile title Game of War, one of the more high profile Clash of Clans clones.

Just imagine that for a second. You steal almost five million dollars from your work, using a combination of embezzlement and money laundering, and with a world of purchases at your fingertips, you pour 20% of that money into a very bad video game that most of you will only know from some terrible Kate Upton commercials.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If he had only spent $500,000 on the game he could have had $500,000 left over for a new identity and he could be free living on a beach in Barbados playing the game.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Happens a lot more than you might think. I was just reading an article in this months Atlantic magazine about Scott Stevens and how he embezzled over 4 million dollars from his company and blew all of it on slot machines. Dude ended up bankrupting his family and ruining his life. He eventually took the easy way out and committed suicide. It's a good read if you got some time.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/12/losing-it-all/505814/

Anyway, addiction comes in many forms and causes a lot of people do to things they normally wouldn't. It usually ends in pain and heartache for anyone close too the situation.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
But did he win in the game? Seems like spending that much money on whatever one spends money on in those types of games must have surely let him assemble an unbeatable army.

Nope.

This article explains why that particular game is so evil:
I was casually browsing the map at work recently and came across a guy who must have spent at least 7,000 Euros. He wasn't around to defend himself, so we attacked. We wiped out about 2,500 Euros. Two-and-a-half grand, gone in five minutes.

It's like gambling, but with no possibility of winning. The best you can do is not lose.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1762-5-reasons-i-lost-249000-iphone-game.html

Reactions: scout123

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would have taken the money, practiced some of the tricks I've learned to prevent a skip tracer to locate you and run!

1 million for a god damn game... pathetic. Fucker needs to be locked up for being dumb!

Feb 4, 2009
Happens a lot more than you might think. I was just reading an article in this months Atlantic magazine about Scott Stevens and how he embezzled over 4 million dollars from his company and blew all of it on slot machines. Dude ended up bankrupting his family and ruining his life. He eventually took the easy way out and committed suicide. It's a good read if you got some time.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/12/losing-it-all/505814/

Anyway, addiction comes in many forms and causes a lot of people do to things they normally wouldn't. It usually ends in pain and heartache for anyone close too the situation.

I was going to say something similar. Its like stealing to gamble it happens all the time.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm amazed that it's even possible to spend a million dollars on an online game. Did they create content just for him? I'd sure expect it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
GoW is insane, ive probably spent 1-2k on it over the years, its like crack. I keep saying im going to quit but just cant...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Some story out of Australia about a girl who got millions accidentally deposited into her account. She blew it on designer fashion.