Man dies fishing with pipe bomb

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Used to be a lot of dynamite fishing in certain parts of this country.

Really whereabouts and what time frame jack? Maybe your a wee bit older then me:)

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49
Used to be a lot of dynamite fishing in certain parts of this country.

Really whereabouts and what time frame jack? Maybe your a wee bit older then me:)

Heh, 70 years ago TNT was easier to get. Dead fish float.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Actually, you only need stun them to float. Not all of them died. The flotation is a reflexive response of their air bladder organ due to trauma.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Some parts of Appalachia (and some other areas as well) had people dynamite fishing at least into the early '60s.

And yes, I'm an old fart.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: DonVito
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=/20060807/NEWS01/608070426/-1/ZONES01

OMG what was he thinking. I see he is from Brazil. Is this a common practice down there or something?
Does anyone know?

I assume they were referring to Brazil, Indiana (the county seat of Clay County, referred to in the article). Paul Lynch doesn't sound like a Brazilian name.

I see they named thier town after a brazilian fountain. thx heywood, I didn't catch that.
Was too engrossed trying to figure out why he preferred a pipebomb to a graphite Rod?

Feb 10, 2000

I see they named thier town after a brazilian fountain. thx heywood, I didn't catch that.
Was too engrossed trying to figure out why he preferred a pipebomb to a graphite Rod?

Yeah, I have to say I have very little sympathy for someone stupid (not to mention unsportsmanlike) enough to fish with pipe bombs. What a friggin' idiot.

I understand that the reason this works is that the explosion ruptures the fishes' internal air bladder, which they use to regulate buoyancy. What I don't know is how large the fatal blast zone is. I would think a stick of dynamite would cause an enormous shockwave (since the water transmits shock and noise so much more effectively than the air). Anyone know about this? Would it kill all the fish within 100 feet, or what?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

Yeah, I have to say I have very little sympathy for someone stupid (not to mention unsportsmanlike) enough to fish with pipe bombs. What a friggin' idiot.

I understand that the reason this works is that the explosion ruptures the fishes' internal air bladder, which they use to regulate buoyancy. What I don't know is how large the fatal blast zone is. I would think a stick of dynamite would cause an enormous shockwave (since the water transmits shock and noise so much more effectively than the air). Anyone know about this? Would it kill all the fish within 100 feet, or what?

Clearly this calls for an experiment ;)

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk

Clearly this calls for an experiment ;)

put that tnt down strk!!;)

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Some parts of Appalachia (and some other areas as well) had people dynamite fishing at least into the early '60s.

And yes, I'm an old fart.

How about fishing with carbide in a mason jar with a pinhole in it?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I will try and find the post but in Vermont we have gun fishing(also legal in a couple of streams in Virginia, I think).
Every spring "fishermen" climb trees and blast away into rivers and lakes.
The goal is to shoot just in front or near the fish. It causes his bladder to expand and the fish floats to the surface to be scooped up.
If you have never seen a stand of trees with half drunk guys hanging out on branches over a lake blasting away you are really missing something.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
I will try and find the post but in Vermont we have gun fishing(also legal in a couple of streams in Virginia, I think).
The goal is to shoot just in front or near the fish. It causes his bladder to expand and the fish floats to the surface to be scooped up.
If you have never seen a stand of trees with half drunk guys hanging out on branches over a lake blasting away you are really missing something.

That doesn't sound very smart. Bullets can richochet off water like skipping a stone. I haven't heard about that, but I do know that some people fish with a bow and a tethered arrow.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

Sounds like the movie second hand lions.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

That doesn't sound very smart. Bullets can richochet off water like skipping a stone. I haven't heard about that, but I do know that some people fish with a bow and a tethered arrow.

Bow fishing is quite difficult (especially due to refraction). In NY, the *only* species you're allowed to hunt with a bow is carp. Most other states limit it to one or two species as well, and generally not game species. I wonder what type of fish they're allowed to shoot in Vermont - I've never heard of that. (I'm looking for more info right now)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Well, how bout that... You can shoot Northern Pike, pickerel, carp, and other garbage fish in Vermont for about 2 months of the year. Hunting license needed.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I don't know what angle of incidence would be required to bounch a bullet off the water, but I'd have to imagine it's pretty low. I would think anything above 25* would be pretty safe. I seem to remember the guys from Mythbusters testing the theory about being safe from bullets while underwater, and they never skipped one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett

I don't know what angle of incidence would be required to bounch a bullet off the water, but I'd have to imagine it's pretty low. I would think anything above 25* would be pretty safe. I seem to remember the guys from Mythbusters testing the theory about being safe from bullets while underwater, and they never skipped one.

What a fascinating physics problem this would make. You would have to take into consideration such things as the composition, weight, curvature and velocity of the bullet and surface conditions of the water. A very very slow bullet, say a rock lobbed by a rubber band wouldn't skip at all whereas one at meteoric speeds would just vaporize on impact. Fascinating indeed.