Man collection companies are over the top sometimes

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
A few months ago I had an allergic reaction that turned out to be mango-related.....the crazy landlord my wife had decided to use her bed and her room she rented to sort out mangos. That night when we were on it the oils got all over me apparently.

I called a local doctor and was told it'd be about $100 total with treatment....two weeks later I get a bill for over 5x that and the medication ran another few hundred.

I work out a payment plan that basically had me paying it off in 3 months.....this month is my last payment of about $130...the letter that came with my bill says things like: "We didn't ask your doctor to run your credit first, we respected your situation and we allowed him to treat you, why have you disrepected us?"

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate I was able to make payments on this....however, where did they authorize my treatment or give approval. Plus it's not like I haven't been sending in a few hundred bucks every month, sometimes bi-monthly.

Oh well that is all :)

Å

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
My girlfriend got a letter about two weeks ago from a collection agency stating that the next knock on our door could be the cops with an arrest warrant.

This is for a hospital visit from 2 years ago that was paid in full over a year and a half ago.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst
A few months ago I had an allergic reaction that turned out to be mango-related.....the crazy landlord my wife had decided to use her bed and her room she rented to sort out mangos. That night when we were on it the oils got all over me apparently.

I called a local doctor and was told it'd be about $100 total with treatment....two weeks later I get a bill for over 5x that and the medication ran another few hundred.

I work out a payment plan that basically had me paying it off in 3 months.....this month is my last payment of about $130...the letter that came with my bill says things like: "We didn't ask your doctor to run your credit first, we respected your situation and we allowed him to treat you, why have you disrepected us?"

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate I was able to make payments on this....however, where did they authorize my treatment or give approval. Plus it's not like I haven't been sending in a few hundred bucks every month, sometimes bi-monthly.

Oh well that is all :)

Å

You appreciate that you were ripped off 5 time over and you can make payments on that? Whom did the letter come from? What business does the collection agency have in saying things like that?

BeeVo

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
I had to go to the doctor and it ended up costing $400. I paid the hospital bill but they sent the actual doctor bill to the wrong address. It got sent to a collection agency. They called me everyday at 8 am. I finally got the bill and paid but they still kept calling. They would try to guilt me but I would just laugh at them and hangup.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Collection agencies are staffed by some serious asshats. Nothing beats their calls at all hours of the day and night.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
My brother was in the middle of disputing two months' worth of cell phone bills from T-mobile because they erred by advertising free nights and weekends for all Tmobile plans even though his plan did not include it. Then, the next month after a large bill, he changed plans and they still billed him for the old plan.

So, after numerous calls that wouldn't work, he got the address for customer service and sent a letter. Tmobile, meanwhile, cancelled his account and immediately sent him to collections (with another $200 fee for cancelling and a $100 collections fee). They have been pounding us 3-5 times a day with an automated message "We've been trying to reach you. Call us at 866 blah blah." Aren't these automated messages illegal in the state of Florida? Tmobile cancelled his contract even though my brother had no intentions of cancelling. He is currently getting legal counseling for the problem.. but, they still keep calling us.

My brother called them and requested to be no longer called at that number (they call at 7am sometimes) because ALL 4 of us use it - not just him - and they still pound us with calls. They keep saying that he should pay the bill THEN dispute it.. Something tells me that's what an idiot would do.

God damn.. I fvcking hate that collections company. Tmobile sucks too.

So ya, collections companies are sh!tty.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
your landlord went into the room you guys rent to sort out mangos...without your permission...im surprised you didnt kick his ass

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
your landlord went into the room you guys rent to sort out mangos...without your permission...im surprised you didnt kick his ass

It was my wife's room before we were married. The landlord (was a women btw, women can own property ya know) shared the closet with her. My wife didn't have a problem with her or her grandkids coming into the room, I wouldn't have accepted it.

Å

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: brxndxn
My brother was in the middle of disputing two months' worth of cell phone bills from T-mobile because they erred by advertising free nights and weekends for all Tmobile plans even though his plan did not include it. Then, the next month after a large bill, he changed plans and they still billed him for the old plan.

So, after numerous calls that wouldn't work, he got the address for customer service and sent a letter. Tmobile, meanwhile, cancelled his account and immediately sent him to collections (with another $200 fee for cancelling and a $100 collections fee). They have been pounding us 3-5 times a day with an automated message "We've been trying to reach you. Call us at 866 blah blah." Aren't these automated messages illegal in the state of Florida? Tmobile cancelled his contract even though my brother had no intentions of cancelling. He is currently getting legal counseling for the problem.. but, they still keep calling us.

My brother called them and requested to be no longer called at that number (they call at 7am sometimes) because ALL 4 of us use it - not just him - and they still pound us with calls. They keep saying that he should pay the bill THEN dispute it.. Something tells me that's what an idiot would do.

well your brother should have asked questions before signing the agreement and make sure everything was in writing. 2nd they can cancell him for NOT paying his bill.
what is he getting counseling for? beceuse he didnt read the agreement or pay his bill? pfft good luck.

yes the amount of calls is nuts. Tell them that is harrasment since others use the phone.

or better yet PAY THEM>

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

well your brother should have asked questions before signing the agreement and make sure everything was in writing. 2nd they can cancell him for NOT paying his bill.
what is he getting counseling for? beceuse he didnt read the agreement or pay his bill? pfft good luck.

yes the amount of calls is nuts. Tell them that is harrasment since others use the phone.

or better yet PAY THEM>

Actually, I believe it's illegal for them to call before 8am. I know it's that way in Cali, not sure about Florida. Which is why if you've ever had a collection agency on your but, they call 7 days a week at 8am on the dot.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8
Actually, I believe it's illegal for them to call before 8am. I know it's that way in Cali, not sure about Florida. Which is why if you've ever had a collection agency on your but, they call 7 days a week at 8am on the dot.

yeah i thought it was against the law for them to call between 10pm and 8am. not to mention they CANT call you at work.

my sister-in-laws fience does this for a living. makes good money heh.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Collection agencies are staffed by some serious asshats. Nothing beats their calls at all hours of the day and night.

why, thanks!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
regarding cell phones...our one friend from Japan that was here on a school visa, finished school and turned her phone in.

Cingular continued billing her for months and month despite calls and them acknowledging 1) she is no longer in this country and 2) she turned the phone in at the end of her contract.

I think this is a method they use to get a write off at the end of the year as I know one other person that this is also going on with (they moved back to South America).

Å

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I get a kick outta these companies. I call their bluff anytime they try their crap with me. I've had my share of situations and creditors chasing after me. I've heard the knock on the door will be from cops routine, the we will repo your car tonight, theyve called me 35 consecutive days in a row(which is uber-illegal) I've had them argue with my brother thinking he was me, I've said the words "hello, yes this is me" then put the phone down and went out to dinner, come back and the person was STILL on the phone talking. Mind you this was for a $35.00 outstanding discover card bill, a $55.00 outstanding american express bill, and a doctors visit I never remember making when I was in the hospital for heart surgery.

Basically when they call, just tell them to go fsck their mothers and laugh, then hang up and let the games begin.:)
They cant do ANYTHING, and your credit will nosedive for a bit, but seven years later... who the hells gonna care???
:D~wnied~:D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
ahh I remembered this other one I had.

Summary...my ex fiancee had all the bills in her name as I was in college again. One day after siphoning off apparently to buy a new townhouse (gated community) and a brand new fully loaded mustang GT she took off and turned off all utilities....no warning. So I had no cell, no phone and couldn't get the phone back on because she had it temporarily frozen and was still on the lease, no electric, etc...luckily the water could not be turned off. She took my dog also...left her ring though and a note someone told her it was 'fake' anyway....stupid, but good for me.

Anyways the water was about $20 a month, I had 3 months left on the lease and only stayed about 3 weeks maybe total there. Some my exes and girls I never hooked up with were glad to try to F the memories of her away :)

Well I get done with the lease and return the key. Three months later I get a call from this lady "so do you plan on paying your bills?" that was the initial contact....I asked what bill are you talking about and got the run around "so how many bills haven't you paid?"....it was just insane. She wouldnt identify herself at first and would not tell me what bill it was. She finally told me it was $230 for a water bill I owed.

I explained the water bill was not in my name and I never saw the bills (they got forwarded to my ex)....I told her I hardly stayed at my apartment but I did check it time to time and there was nothing running that could change my $20 per month x 3 into a $230 bill. I asked her to send me a copy of that as there had to be a mistake. She told me it was my problem and would not tell me who the water company even was (it was outsourced and not a local water provider).....

So I try to call my old landlord and get told to call the collection agency and this goes in circles....it was freaking ridiculous. I wanted to pay if I owed but there was only insults handed out....the one lady (they use caller id and call back any number you call from over and over again + auto route any calls from those numbers directly to the collection agent)...I finally requested them never to call any number regarding my account and I would call them....

The would call these other numbers and say illegally I believe "I would like to talk to Chris.... about the bills he has neglected to pay"

Anyways I find out the water company and call them and they tell me they cannot talk to me at all as I am not on the account. I try to explain that my lease holds me responsible and apparently there is a $230 bill for 3 months...I am told that's "cheap" and they can't help further.

The collection agency can't provide me a bill either...I say screw it and forgot about them, they already filed on my credit report anyway telling me I'd never get credit or a loan again (yeah right)....regardless my dad is a senior vice president of a loan company....I really don't think I'd ever have a hard time with a loan.

This was back in 1999.....fast forward to november where I am feeling generous and decide maybe I will get a better experience this time and work it out. I call up and have to enter the account number and am immediately greeted with "mr. ...... so are you still not paying your bills".....same freaking lady. So I go off saying look I have cooperated with you since day 1....no one wants to help me though...I have a serious problem just sending $230 to someone based on the fact they say "I just owe that". We go back and forth and she tries to bring up the terrible consequences and I explain to her I have rented, bought cars, got new credit cards at low low interest rates, all my limits raised and there has been no effect her little stunt had on my credit.

She asks me what will it take for me to make good on my debts and I tell her again I need proof of the bills, no one can get me those....she magically is able to fax me them. They were originally faxed to her from the water company 2 months before we even spoke in 1999, she had them the whole time.

Apparently one month my meter was misread or something....it went from a reading of say 55,203-56,932 to 56,932-80,102 to 58,234-58,920

I told the agent I would call and find out the next day (it was about 6pm my time and the water company was closed).

The next morning at 8am my cell rings, its the agent so I answer as my company name and tell her 'chris doesn't have an extension here, can I take a message' she tells me it's very important he calls her because he owes alot of money......that's when I went off. I told her one it's 8am the water company is not even open yet, 2) I told her in 1999 in writing to absolutely never, ever call me at any number, and 3) she doesn't have to accuse me of being a deadbeat to strangers...my credit is perfect other than her little stunt....I reminded her to never call again. I also told her I voluntarily called her back about this matter in order to fix it...if I had no intention of repairing the situation I would not have contacted them....she then told me how would i like someone owing me a ton of cash. I explained it's $200 and not a ton of cash....but I'd figure out what I really owe...she told me she could tell me that, $23x.xx...I told her I'd get back to her and not to call.

Its obvious there was a problem when the meter went back in time :) The water company doesn't have that record anymore and can't do anything about it apparently (they were able to speak to me after I provided them a copy of the bills)....

My decision was to screw it. They can take the loss...I am done with the BS, if she was honest and got me these copies when it was discovered I could have straightened it out long ago.

Å

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't even start about this fvcking crap. Bellsouth had a collection agency call me everyday for months and they owed ME money. Morons at Bellsouth forgot to credit my account for 6 months. I constantly got that fugging call 1-888-suck-a-cow number every hour every day.

Finally I called them and they told me I owed Bellsouth a gazillion dollars. It took over two months AFTER that for Bellsouth to realize that when I canceled my DSL and phone line that they messed up and only cut the phone. They actually owed ME 88 dollars, but refused to credit my account until I paid my bill(an amount I didn't owe). Finally, I had my lawyer contact their counsel and had it taken care of. I switched to another company by then(MCI) and went with them for about 6 months. Then one day a lady from Bellsouth called and asked if I wanted to switch back. I've never gone off that much on a person before. It wasn't her fault but I hate goddamn Bellsouth. I curse the day I moved and had to start using those idiots again.

Last month they cut my phone off and accused me of not paying my bill. I provided them with a copy of my statement that showed the amount debited from my account. No apology or nothing. Just a simple "oh we make mistakes sometimes." Just wait till another company brings service to my area. I don't give a damn if it is freaking Bin Laden Communications... I'll sign up.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i think i've had an experience with a company like that. i don't know cuz they wouldn't tell me what they did. the f*cks kept message bombing my celphone voicemail with automated messages for someone else. bastards couldn't even get the number right. eventually i called them and finally got a person, and demanded their companys name and what they did... the b*tch said she couldn't tell me and that the law says she doesn't have to tell me? wtf:p the gall... they stopped after that though.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
Don't even start about this fvcking crap. Bellsouth had a collection agency call me everyday for months and they owed ME money. Morons at Bellsouth forgot to credit my account for 6 months. I constantly got that fugging call 1-888-suck-a-cow number every hour every day.

Finally I called them and they told me I owed Bellsouth a gazillion dollars. It took over two months AFTER that for Bellsouth to realize that when I canceled my DSL and phone line that they messed up and only cut the phone. They actually owed ME 88 dollars, but refused to credit my account until I paid my bill(an amount I didn't owe). Finally, I had my lawyer contact their counsel and had it taken care of. I switched to another company by then(MCI) and went with them for about 6 months. Then one day a lady from Bellsouth called and asked if I wanted to switch back. I've never gone off that much on a person before. It wasn't her fault but I hate goddamn Bellsouth. I curse the day I moved and had to start using those idiots again.

Last month they cut my phone off and accused me of not paying my bill. I provided them with a copy of my statement that showed the amount debited from my account. No apology or nothing. Just a simple "oh we make mistakes sometimes." Just wait till another company brings service to my area. I don't give a damn if it is freaking Bin Laden Communications... I'll sign up.

Bwhahaha!! Nice. :D

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

or better yet PAY THEM>

I'm not sure you read my post correctly or if you're just assuming I'm lying. I stated that they erred; not my brother or me. I did shorten the story quite a bit, though. They are trying to charge my brother over $800 for two months of phone usage that was all during the 'free nights and weekends' and they are trying to charge him $300 for cancelling when he never cancelled - nor intended it. Before he signed up for the phone, he called Tmobile and they stated that the 'free nights and weekends' was a promotion being run for ALL Tmobile plans. We later found out the Amazon.com plan, even though a Tmobile plan, was not technically a Tmobile plan according to Tmobile. We offered to pay what it should have been with free nights and weekends. We did everything we could to dispute the bill. When we mailed and faxed multiple copies of the same letter to the customer service department, we never received a reply. I don't know where you're from, but a company is legally obligated to answer a billing dispute.