Man buys Hummer, Eco-terrorists wreck it

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: marincounty
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: marincounty
Definition of an idiot: Someone who buys a $38,000 car and parks it on the street.
If you can afford a $38,000 vehicle you can afford to rent a garage to keep it in.
What other things do you own worth tens of thousands of dollars do you leave out on the street? You are asking for trouble.

Should I buy a house to house my house?

Is your house left unattended on public property?

Are you then saying that if he had parked his car on his driveway this wouldn't have happened?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I don't condone the act of violence, but is there really any legitimate reason for a civilian to drive a Hummer?
Same legitimate reason to drive ANY car.
They all put out tons of pollution, they all generated a crapload of pollution when they were made.

Those cute little hybrids are NOT going to save the world. The human race is going to burn up every last drop of fossil fuel on the earth before we make a complete switch to something cleaner. The hybrids merely slow down the inevitable and still arent clean. They only look cleaner by comparison to monster SUV's.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: shortylickens
I don't condone the act of violence, but is there really any legitimate reason for a civilian to drive a Hummer?
They all put out tons of pollution, they all generated a crapload of pollution when they were made.

Those cute little hybrids are NOT going to save the world. The human race is going to burn up every last drop of fossil fuel on the earth before we make a complete switch to something cleaner. The hybrids merely slow down the inevitable and still arent clean. They only look cleaner by comparison to monster SUV's.

Any idiot can see that a car that gets 4 times the gas milage as another car is going to put out 1/4 the pollition per mile driven.

It has nothing to do with "They only look cleaner by comparison to monster SUV's." They are cleaner. DUHHHH!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: Genx87
Oh look the religious econutz are trying to force their views on people again through the use of force.

Guy should repair it, put a bomb under it and when these douchebags show up again detonate.

Or keep the car and sniper them and their families.

Gee, and you wonder why people want to ban gun ownership :roll: Because killing innocent people is totally a natural response to vandalism.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Compared to boats, planes, and jets, SUV's look like gas misers. Why don't the hippies start protesting airports and marinas? Boats usually measure gas consumption in gallons per hour, and your average passenger jet sucks down thousands of gallons of kerosene on an average flight. :confused:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dualsmp
Compared to boats, planes, and jets, SUV's look like gas misers. Why don't the hippies start protesting airports and marinas? Boats usually measure gas consumption in gallons per hour, and your average passenger jet sucks down thousands of gallons of kerosene on an average flight. :confused:

Disregarding the stupidity of eco-terrorism in the first place, that's not really a good comparison with planes. Your average passenger plane doesn't exactly sip the fuel, but it doesn't carry one person around either. A commercial airplane is actually one of the more fuel efficient methods of transportation out there.

Of course private jets, recreational boating, etc, etc, are all valid topics when it comes to wasting fuel...but there is a pretty good reason they haven't become symbols of wastefulness. There is no direct and obvious comparison that people make every day. It's really all about symbols, and SUVs offer the perfect symbol because they offer the perfect contrast between conservation and waste. SUVs are used for mostly the same tasks as a small car, yet they take up more space and consume way more fuel...and because of their size they offer a perfect PHYSICAL comparison as well. There is a reason that SUVs draw far more ire than sports cars, despite having similar fuel economy standards. SUVs aren't just wasteful, it's ostentatious waste.

I don't hate SUVs or think vandalizing (or even protesting) them is a valid way to improve the environment, but I sometimes think I understand the people who are so up in arms about them. I drive a smallish car, and I can't help but shake my head when I park next to some land yacht in the parking lot. Or even better, when I'm parked between two enormous vehicles...they look ridiculously wasteful in comparison. I think there are a lot better steps to take than protesting SUVs (and destroying someone else's property isn't the right answer, ever), but I sure see why they make a good symbol for the pro-environment folks.

Edit: And actually, this is the same reason that Hummers draw far more notice than other SUVs, even though there are others that are just as bad or worse when it comes to fuel economy (especially compared to the H3). Again, the Hummer is even more ridiculous as a practical vehicle than most SUVs (especially the original Hummer), so it makes a better target.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Any idiot can see that a car that gets 4 times the gas milage as another car is going to put out 1/4 the pollition per mile driven.
Thats why I'm glad we have idiots around, to explain these things to me.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I guess it's just lucky for you that we have plenty of idiots in this country to keep you up to speed on the complex concepts.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I guess it's just lucky for you that we have plenty of idiots in this country to keep you up to speed on the complex concepts.
I would much prefer it if you just gained some intelligence. ;)

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I would much prefer it if you just gained some intelligence. ;)

Make up your mind? :D

MrPabulum

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2000

Well, considering that civilian bears the cost of gas, maintenance, etc, I don't think that someone's decision to drive an overpriced, gas-guzzling SUV that will see more pavement than dirt....should be stood and examined before the general bar of reason. That person is not required justify his extravagance.

Property destruction is inexcusable.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Well, driving a Hummer 10 miles a day is better than driving a Prius 60 miles a day.

People who get wound up over SUV are stupid.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dualsmp
it's hard to do without air travel. and it turns out that high speed trains use more energy per passenger than planes do. of course, the trains can be powered by nuclear or solar more readily than the planes can.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Well, driving a Hummer 10 miles a day is better than driving a Prius 60 miles a day.

People who get wound up over SUV are stupid.

No, they're not.

The SUV embodies everything wrong with the arrogant American today. It's large, wasteful, ugly, and is put on a pedestal by large ugly and wasteful people to either compensate for a lack of self esteem or possibly to project some kind of superiority complex on drivers around them.

They get in the way, they're hard to see around, and more often than not, the driver is a dip-shit talking on his/her cellphone and throwing cigarette butts out the window.

Charming.

If you think that what I said is stupid, just take a moment to think about the USA and how big driving is in our lives. It's an American past-time, and our driving styles and vehicles are basically projections of our ego.

Those people are stupid.