Man buys Hummer, Eco-terrorists wreck it

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: marincounty
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: marincounty
Originally posted by: senseamp
Are you claiming vandalizing someones car doesn't hurt anybody? Care to put your money where your mouth is and let me vandalize your car? I will take the drive to Marin for that.

It is a property crime, not a violent crime that harms a person. I didn't say it wasn't a crime, just not a major crime that deserves someone being knifed , shot or bombed.
If you would like to vandalize my car (maybe you already did?) bring it, because it is worth about $400 blue book.
I will simply report you to the police and let them take appropriate action.
Oh, and thanks for the warning.

Why would you report it to the police if it doesn't hurt anybody?

It is a property CRIME, get it. Notice I didn't say I would knife you or shoot you.
Do you understand that crimes against property are different than crimes directed against persons?

Property crime hurts people too. This is not a victimless crime. I would be hurt if someone vandalized my car.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I literally can't believe some of the responses to this.

I personally don't like Hummers but because I'm not a fan of poorly engineered vehicles.

Moonie, taking a Hummer to task while owning a Cadillac is hypocritical, and not only that but if you own 2 cars, you've used up the resources for 2 vehicles, and by your logic, that's not justifiable either.

And that asthmatic child is far more likely to be affected by coal fired power plants or indoor pollution, poorly designed HVAC systems in schools, diesel trucks with higher particulate emissions etc.

<--grateful I live in Texas where we can shoot assholes like those vandals.

sigh

Cue smug alert sirens...

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I certainly don't condone what happened to this guy.

However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday.

You reap what you sow.

maybe instead of beating up someones vehicle they should get off their asses and do something that will be productive and perhaps put them in a position where they can have the kind of money to afford a hummer if they so choose.

It's not about being fed up with the rich, its about being fed up with your own inadequacies and instead of taking the harder path of working on yourself and making yourself better, taking the easy path to knock those around you that are better off and in the case of these morons destroying something that is not theirs.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Shivetya
Originally posted by: loki8481
I confess, I've totally been tempted to do the same thing to hummer's I've seen on the street.

back before I had a driveway and had to park 3-4 blocks away from my house every night because parking sucks on the street, it used to make me so bad to see these jackasses in hummers and huge trucks/suv's taking up 3 spots by themselves.

over exaggeration for the win!

... says someone who can come up with such brilliant posts:

Originally posted by: Shivetya
I think the perps should be beaten with the same bats and knifed as well. Then burn their priuses using virgin forest wood and spotted owl oil!

You're either a hypocrite, or, in case you actually DO the stuff you preach, you're one sick, twisted individual.

Your choice to make.

Now, don't you wish you'd kept your mouth shut?

*edit* BTW, I will freely admit entertaining the same kind of fantasies about taking a bat to a couple of Hummers and other such monstrous vehicles!

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
I say he gets it fixed, stalks his car until they come back, then he shoots and kills them both...feeding their dead carcasses to the wolves.

So you think he'd believe protecting his gas-hog is worth commiting a double murder?

If I caught someone doing that to my truck, I would "be in fear for my life" and the money I spent on getting a concelaed handgun permit would have been worth it. Justifiable homicide FTW!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I say he gets it fixed, stalks his car until they come back, then he shoots and kills them both...feeding their dead carcasses to the wolves.

So you think he'd believe protecting his gas-hog is worth commiting a double murder?

If I caught someone doing that to my truck, I would "be in fear for my life" and the money I spent on getting a concelaed handgun permit would have been worth it. Justifiable homicide FTW!

Fair enough, but under this "law of the jungle" bullshit you guys seem to like so much, if someone CAN get away with destroying your truck, more power to them as well...right? I mean, they have as much right to commit vandalism as you do to commit murder...

This is why we have laws, Rambo, so idiots can't destroy your personal property and you can't go around killing people who piss you off.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Fair enough, but under this "law of the jungle" bullshit you guys seem to like so much, if someone CAN get away with destroying your truck, more power to them as well...right? I mean, they have as much right to commit vandalism as you do to commit murder...

This is why we have laws, Rambo, so idiots can't destroy your personal property and you can't go around killing people who piss you off.

No, they do not have a right to commit vandalism, but I do have a RIGHT to defend myself if I percieve a threat. If someone is vandalizing my truck, then I would "be in fear for my life".

The truth is, I consider the lint off of my clothes to be more valuable than the lives of every person I have ever met, so you can imagine how I would feel about my truck.

I just have to do everything in my power to make sure I will catch anyone that would do such a thing to my property. Then I can be "in fear for my life" and eliminate the threat.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

No, they do not have a right to commit vandalism, but I do have a RIGHT to defend myself if I percieve a threat. If someone is vandalizing my truck, then I would "be in fear for my life".

The truth is, I consider the lint off of my clothes to be more valuable than the lives of every person I have ever met, so you can imagine how I would feel about my truck.

I just have to do everything in my power to make sure I will catch anyone that would do such a thing to my property. Then I can be "in fear for my life" and eliminate the threat.

Being a psychopath is not a valid defense for murder. You do have a right to defend yourself, that does not mean you can just pretend that's what you're doing and go around killing anyone you don't like. Otherwise, following your logic, *I* could say I'm "in fear for my life" because I drive a small car and SUVs present a threat to my safety on the road, and therefore be "justified" in wrecking your truck. And for that matter, since you'll probably by ANOTHER truck to replace it, I should probably just kill you to be sure you don't present a danger to me on the road.

Now, am I the only person who thinks that doesn't make sense?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Being a psychopath is not a valid defense for murder. You do have a right to defend yourself, that does not mean you can just pretend that's what you're doing and go around killing anyone you don't like. Otherwise, following your logic, *I* could say I'm "in fear for my life" because I drive a small car and SUVs present a threat to my safety on the road, and therefore be "justified" in wrecking your truck. And for that matter, since you'll probably by ANOTHER truck to replace it, I should probably just kill you to be sure you don't present a danger to me on the road.

Now, am I the only person who thinks that doesn't make sense?

All I can say is I'd stay far far away from Texas, we can literally shoot people for this shit and never be charged.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Does anyone else find it humorous that people on a computer web site would complain about how much gas/energy someone else uses?

How many us have multiple computers, multiple monitors, the fastest graphic cards money can buy etc etc etc any idea how much more energy you are using compared to the ?typical? computer user?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Does anyone else find it humorous that people on a computer web site would complain about how much gas/energy someone else uses?

How many us have multiple computers, multiple monitors, the fastest graphic cards money can buy etc etc etc any idea how much more energy you are using compared to the ?typical? computer user?

But that's ok, because society forces to make those choices. Meat grows in the back rooms of grocery stores, and no coal was burned for the electricity used in this post.

You know like Moonie & his Caddy, and his Honda.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

But that's ok, because society forces to make those choices. Meat grows in the back rooms of grocery stores, and no coal was burned for the electricity used in this post.

You know like Moonie & his Caddy, and his Honda.
Meat?. WOOOOO didn?t you see the story? Eating meat is bad for the planet? grow some plants in your yard and go vegan.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Vic
The people want higher fuel economy standards put into law but they are blocked in this desire by the auto and oil company lobbyists. Maybe Americans are turning to revolution.

Who that drives a Hummer worries about the black kid he is killing with asthma? It's legal to kill people with pollution but not to beat up polluting cars. It's funny how things are like that.

And what kind of car and gas mileage do you get, Moonbeam? :p

IIRC, Moonie drives a Cadillac. Walkin' that talk, now ain't he?

I get about 31 highway and about 23 around town and use it normally once a week for long trip. And you will note, please, that I only asked a question. I didn't say the fate of the asthmatic was any more a concern to me than the guy in the Hummer. For my local needs I drive a Honda Civic.

I think my main point is that we are trapped as a people by the structure of the society we built. We are economic prisoners of the auto and gasoline companies. We have to drive to work and work to drive. So the rat race, the pollution, and the meaningless robotic life are driving us all insane. We want out but are totally frustrated. It may mean a few Hummers will have to die.

True to a point. But it is not so much their fault. They sell only what we will buy. If people stop buying Hummers, they won't try to sell them. If we demand better fuel efficiency, they will sell them, and we'll buy them. I think this trend is already beginning.

The last car I bought was a Civic as well. Plus I work at home. I haven't hit 15K miles on it in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

In my first post, I think it was, I said the people want higher mpg cars but the lobbyist prevent such laws being passed. Now you can legitimately argue that's our fault too, but my point is that the will of the people is frustrated in our society and is not being expressed. That is a recipe for violence, in my opinion.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
The people want higher fuel economy standards put into law but they are blocked in this desire by the auto and oil company lobbyists. Maybe Americans are turning to revolution.

Who that drives a Hummer worries about the black kid he is killing with asthma? It's legal to kill people with pollution but not to beat up polluting cars. It's funny how things are like that.

And what kind of car and gas mileage do you get, Moonbeam? :p

IIRC, Moonie drives a Cadillac. Walkin' that talk, now ain't he?

I get about 31 highway and about 23 around town and use it normally once a week for long trip. And you will note, please, that I only asked a question. I didn't say the fate of the asthmatic was any more a concern to me than the guy in the Hummer. For my local needs I drive a Honda Civic.

I think my main point is that we are trapped as a people by the structure of the society we built. We are economic prisoners of the auto and gasoline companies. We have to drive to work and work to drive. So the rat race, the pollution, and the meaningless robotic life are driving us all insane. We want out but are totally frustrated. It may mean a few Hummers will have to die.

True to a point. But it is not so much their fault. They sell only what we will buy. If people stop buying Hummers, they won't try to sell them. If we demand better fuel efficiency, they will sell them, and we'll buy them. I think this trend is already beginning.

The last car I bought was a Civic as well. Plus I work at home. I haven't hit 15K miles on it in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

In my first post, I think it was, I said the people want higher mpg cars but the lobbyist prevent such laws being passed. Now you can legitimately argue that's our fault too, but my point is that the will of the people is frustrated in our society and is not being expressed. That is a recipe for violence, in my opinion.

I just don't think we will get to that point. Unless, somehow the lobbyist get laws passed that further hurt foreign car imports. American car companies have recently seen that they are losing sales to foreign cars that get better gas mileage. And both of us being Civic owners, are a prime example of this affect. I guess what I am thinking, or at least hoping, is that our wallets will talk louder than any laws. Sure there will be people who wish to own big, low mpg vehicles, but the fewer of those people, the more expensive those vehicles will cost, due to production costs. I would rather see capitalism and economics work, rather than forced laws which would favor lobbyists anyway. So far, I think its working, slowly but surely.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I literally can't believe some of the responses to this.

I personally don't like Hummers but because I'm not a fan of poorly engineered vehicles.

Moonie, taking a Hummer to task while owning a Cadillac is hypocritical, and not only that but if you own 2 cars, you've used up the resources for 2 vehicles, and by your logic, that's not justifiable either.

And that asthmatic child is far more likely to be affected by coal fired power plants or indoor pollution, poorly designed HVAC systems in schools, diesel trucks with higher particulate emissions etc.

<--grateful I live in Texas where we can shoot assholes like those vandals.

sigh

Cue smug alert sirens...

Where did you get the idea that I was taking Hummers to task? Also I have more than two cars.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What I thought was ludicrous was back in 03, (when Bushie's war first started) people were buying Hummers and claimed they were "relating to the troops" who drove the REAL "Hmmv's"...

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/07/06/war-x-4/
"During the Iraq war, the New York Times reported that men in the US were buying Hummers (the biggest 4×4s) for ?patriotic reasons?: the troops in Iraq were using the same vehicles."

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Hmm, so lets see what he's going to do about his hummer. He's either

a) Going to get the hummer fixed, which will consumer resources and have a net negative effect on the environment. Takes alot of energy to make glass and tires.
b) Going to replace the hummer with another new car that took alot of resources to make, while selling his hummer to someone else who will still be driving it.

Brilliant.

so in your opinion whatever he does he is wrong???

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
So what prevents these guys from beating HIM up next?

Terrorism and Vandalism is not protected speech.

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Hmm, so lets see what he's going to do about his hummer. He's either

a) Going to get the hummer fixed, which will consumer resources and have a net negative effect on the environment. Takes alot of energy to make glass and tires.
b) Going to replace the hummer with another new car that took alot of resources to make, while selling his hummer to someone else who will still be driving it.

Brilliant.

so in your opinion whatever he does he is wrong???

Um, I thought the point was that all these vandals managed to accomplish was
1) Pissing a guy off to the point where he thinks anybody who says the words "global warming" is a nutcase that destroys other peoples property
2) Actually having a net negative effect on the environment because the guy only has the 2 options mentioned

Bottom line, whoever did this picked the wrong way to get their point across to this guy.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

In 25 states, Castle Doctrine allows one to treat their car as their home, and thus defend the prying or intrusion of such as a direct threat on their life.

I know eve before we had Castle Doctrine in Texas, there was a man in Arlington, Texas who saw 4 teenagers stealing the wheels off his car, stepped outside with an AR15, and killed all 4 of them. He was never charged.

If you fuck with other peoples' property, don't be suprised if you end up dead.

Oct 30, 2004

This brings back memories of the South Park episode titled "Smug" where hybrid drivers were felt so smug and superior for driving hybrid vehicles, they loved the smell of their own farts and would bend over in public to sniff them.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor

In 25 states, Castle Doctrine allows one to treat their car as their home, and thus defend the prying or intrusion of such as a direct threat on their life.

I know eve before we had Castle Doctrine in Texas, there was a man in Arlington, Texas who saw 4 teenagers stealing the wheels off his car, stepped outside with an AR15, and killed all 4 of them. He was never charged.

Reminds me of the story of the Zen master, who, returning to his hut found thieves stealing his only possession, a rice bowl. He said, "Too bad I can't give them this moon."

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor

Reminds me of the story of the Zen master, who, returning to his hut found thieves stealing his only possession, a rice bowl. He said, "Too bad I can't give them this moon."

I suspect the Zen master didn't have his rice bowl financed for the next 6 years or live in is mother's hut. :evil: