Man buys Hummer, Eco-terrorists wreck it

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19818804/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hummer owner gets angry message
Vandals batter D.C. man's SUV, slash its tires and scratch in an eco note
By Allison Klein
The Washington Post
Updated: 8:37 a.m. ET July 18, 2007
WASHINGTON - On a narrow, leafy street in Northwest Washington, where Prius hybrid cars and Volvos are the norm, one man bought a flashy gray Hummer that was too massive to fit in his garage.

So he parked the seven-foot-tall behemoth on the street in front of his house and smiled politely when his eco-friendly neighbors looked on in disapproval at his "dream car."

It lasted five days on the street before two masked men took a bat to every window, a knife to each 38-inch tire and scratched into the body: "FOR THE ENVIRON."

"The thought of somebody vandalizing it never crossed my mind," said Gareth Groves, 32, who lives with his mother in a three-story home in the 3400 block of Brandywine Street NW in American University Park. "I've kind of been in shock."

Looks of satisfaction
Now, as Groves ponders what to do with the remains of his $38,000 SUV, he has been the target of a number of people who have driven by the crime scene in his upscale neighborhood and glared at him in smug satisfaction.

"I'd say one in five people who come by have that 'you-got-what-you-deserve' look," said his friend Andy Sexton, 27, who is visiting from Arkansas and has been helping Groves deal with fallout from the crime.

Neighbor Lucille Liem, 37, who owns a Prius hybrid, said that a common sentiment in the neighborhood is that large vehicles are impractical and a strain on the Earth -- and Hummers in particular are a symbol of consumer excess.

"The neighborhood in general is very concerned with the environment," said Liem, whose Prius gets about 48 miles a gallon compared with the Hummer's 14 miles a gallon. "It's more liberal leaning. It's ridiculous to be driving a Hummer."

Liem added quickly that she does not condone violence.

Another neighbor, Lani Fremaux, 58, said she bought a T-shirt months ago with a picture of a Hummer and above it the word "Bummer." She wore the shirt proudly but said she is so upset with recent events on her street that she might retire it.

"They've got everything at their disposal in this city to make a statement in a legal way," Fremaux said of the bat-wielding men who struck out at the Hummer. "I consider this a hate crime."

First attack of its kind
Police said they see small acts of vandalism in the area from time to time, but they have not seen anything so severe, or with such a clear political message, in recent years.

"This seems to be an isolated event," Cmdr. Andy Solberg said.

Investigators said they are searching for the vandals but don't have many leads. Witnesses saw two men about six feet tall with bandanas or masks over their faces smash up the car about 3:30 a.m. Monday and then run off.

Groves's mother, Phyllis Groves, 70, said she is sad for her son because he has wanted a Hummer for a while. But even she did not exactly approve of the purchase.

"I teased him because of the gas mileage," she said. "But he wanted a Hummer. He didn't have other gas guzzlers in mind."

He bought the used 2005 vehicle a month ago from a dentist in Fairfax County and left it in a shop for several weeks so it could be outfitted to his specifications -- new, bigger tires and a "lift kit," meaning it would be higher off the ground.

Groves, who grew up in the District and works in marketing for a local radio station, said he wanted the car in part because he is starting a company, Washington Sports Marketing, that is "image-based."

He said he wants to get it towed and repaired but fears extremists might not be done making an example of him.

"I'm worried about what I do now," he said. "If I get it fixed, do I put it back in the same spot three weeks from now?"

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on the fence, but not really. If they catch these guys they should be treated like any other criminal who defaced or destroyed someone else's property. Like Chris Rock joked about OJ who wasn't happy about his wife's romantic dalliances with men while her kids were upstairs, "I aint sayin he shoulda killed her, but I understand."

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Lots of sympathy in 'the garage'
He bought a product legal for sale I'd have more of a problem with some rich guy with his own lear jet than this guy

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
I think the perps should be beaten with the same bats and knifed as well. Then burn their priuses using virgin forest wood and spotted owl oil!

Its private property, if you don't like it get over it.

Sorry, these eco-wannabes are the reason most people refuse to take protection seriously because these nutjobs give the rest a bad name.

If someone looked these so called champions of the environment probably have a large number of environmental faults all their own.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hmm, so lets see what he's going to do about his hummer. He's either

a) Going to get the hummer fixed, which will consumer resources and have a net negative effect on the environment. Takes alot of energy to make glass and tires.
b) Going to replace the hummer with another new car that took alot of resources to make, while selling his hummer to someone else who will still be driving it.

Brilliant.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Oh look the religious econutz are trying to force their views on people again through the use of force.

Guy should repair it, put a bomb under it and when these douchebags show up again detonate.

Feb 10, 2000
I do in fact sympathize with this guy. Besides, for $38K wouldn't this have had to be an H3 (and thus more of a poseur Hummer than anything)?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I don't condone the act of violence, but is there really any legitimate reason for a civilian to drive a Hummer?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I don't condone the act of violence, but is there really any legitimate reason for a civilian to drive a Hummer?

Because they can? What position do you have in life that you can dictate what others do with their money?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I say he gets it fixed, stalks his car until they come back, then he shoots and kills them both...feeding their dead carcasses to the wolves.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003

Dude...if its and H3, thats not a real Hummer....

I just checked Hummers website...it gets 15/20

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
I say he gets it fixed, stalks his car until they come back, then he shoots and kills them both...feeding their dead carcasses to the wolves.

Well if he uses environmentally sound totally copper encased bullets, picks up his shell casings, and composts the excrement from the wolves into his garden I'd think the neighbors would applaud him.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I certainly don't condone what happened to this guy.

However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday.

You reap what you sow.

Dave, and H3 starts at 29000, and his was 38

The H2 starts at 55k...

Heck...the new Saturn Outlook is 40k.

The little Saturn Vue I drive was 23...

This guy is probably middle to upper middle class...but probably by no means "rich"

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday.

You reap what you sow.

How do you even come to that conclusion despite the fact that the offenders clearly scratched their motivation into the paint: "FOR THE ENVIRON." ?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

You reap what you sow.
As is typical Dave posts total BS.
How much do you think a Volvo cost Dave?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

In America you dont need a reason to own things, lets keep it that way.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

So you think he'd believe protecting his gas-hog is worth commiting a double murder?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: feralkid

So you think he'd believe protecting his gas-hog is worth commiting a double murder?

Do you condone vandalism by masked men with baseball bats?

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Its lifted so he could find all the Priuses in the neghbohood and with their low aerodynamic shape drive over each and every one of them :)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

You reap what you sow.

Dave, and H3 starts at 29000, and his was 38

The H2 starts at 55k...

Heck...the new Saturn Outlook is 40k.

The little Saturn Vue I drive was 23...

This guy is probably middle to upper middle class...but probably by no means "rich"

"said Gareth Groves, 32, who lives with his mother in a three-story home"

Many AT posters can relate :D

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: feralkid

Do you condone vandalism by masked men with baseball bats?

What, it's an either or question?

I condone neither.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

The man cannot help being born with a small johnson, you inconsiderate clod!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The people want higher fuel economy standards put into law but they are blocked in this desire by the auto and oil company lobbyists. Maybe Americans are turning to revolution.

Who that drives a Hummer worries about the black kid he is killing with asthma? It's legal to kill people with pollution but not to beat up polluting cars. It's funny how things are like that.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I confess, I've totally been tempted to do the same thing to hummer's I've seen on the street.

back before I had a driveway and had to park 3-4 blocks away from my house every night because parking sucks on the street, it used to make me so bad to see these jackasses in hummers and huge trucks/suv's taking up 3 spots by themselves.