Man Bites Police Dogs Ear Off

Apr 27, 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162047/Man-bites-dog--gets-collar-police.html#comments

A 22 year old man named Travis Glaspie has bit off the ear of a German Shepherd Police dog after a chase and struggle with the dog. The man had apparently fired shots into a vehicle and police later chased him down and the dog was used to take him down, the dog bit him then he bit the dog in the ear to stop him. The dog lost part of his ear.

Glaspie is being held on $1million bond and the dog required 15 stitches.

He is facing charges for assault on the dog and could even have to compensate the officer for lost wages.

Why would this man bite a dog? Should he face charges for attacking the dog and should he be required to compensate the officer?

Your need to include race in your title is unwelcome here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Just curious, why add the word 'black' to the headline in the article?

Anyhoo, here in the US in most states, if not all, assault on an official police dog can get you charges much like assault on an officer.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This is only fair play. You send an animal whose only recourse is to bite... and it gets bitten. Yes it sucks, and I feel bad for the dog but if you don't want it to potentially get hurt or killed then you wouldn't use it to bite people!

Apr 27, 2012
This is only fair play. You send an animal whose only recourse is to bite... and it gets bitten. Yes it sucks, and I feel bad for the dog but if you don't want it to potentially get hurt or killed then you wouldn't use it to bite people!

The dog was just doing its job, what it was trained to do. The man was a criminal.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Why should he compensate the officer? I'm confused at what loss he's suffered.

In this day and age everybody has their hand in somebody else's pocket. The criminal had his in a civilian and the police officer has his in the taxpayer and the criminal. Shameful.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
In this day and age everybody has their hand in somebody else's pocket. The criminal had his in a civilian and the police officer has his in the taxpayer and the criminal. Shameful.

I was just curious about how the officer had lost out financially.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162047/Man-bites-dog--gets-collar-police.html#comments

A 22 year black old man named Travis Glaspie has bit off the ear of a German Shepherd Police dog after a chase and struggle with the dog. The man had apparently fired shots into a vehicle and police later chased him down and the dog was used to take him down, the dog bit him then he bit the dog in the ear to stop him. The dog lost part of his ear.

He is facing charges for assault on the dog and could even have to compensate the officer for lost wages.

Why would this man bite a dog? Should he face charges for attacking the dog and should he be required to compensate the officer?

The dog bit him. If its smart enough to give its smart enough to take. If a dog was attacking me I would do everything I could to stop it.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

A 22 year black old man named Travis Glaspie has bit off the ear of a German Shepherd Police dog after a chase and struggle with the dog. The man had apparently fired shots into a vehicle and police later chased him down and the dog was used to take him down, the dog bit him then he bit the dog in the ear to stop him. The dog lost part of his ear.

I dont know how they can charge assault on the dog?, surely that would have to be a 2 way street....

Apr 27, 2012
The dog didn't just bite the man, he was running away from police so obviously the dog would run. Maybe the criminal should just listen to the police.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Don't train dogs to bite people.

If a dog attacked you, what, you'd lay there and take it? I'd be trying to kill it.

I'm sure a pussy like you would do the same to a human police officer trying to detain you. Don't flee the police and it wouldn't be an issue.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I dont know how they can charge assault on the dog?, surely that would have to be a 2 way street....

Same as if the criminal resisted arrest with a human police officer and the police officer had to use force to detain you. If you fought back, guess what? Assault on the police officer. Next time, don't resist

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Police dogs are trained to just hit and hold. They are not there to damage the perp. They are just just there to slow the perp down so the human officer can catch up.

While the dog is holding on to the criminals arm, or leg, he is vulnerable.

In contrast, the Sentry Dogs that I worked with were trained to attack the throat and genitals. Never heard of a Sentry Dog losing an ear.

Uno
Sentry Dog Handler
US Army 69-71

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Your need to include race in your title is unwelcome here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Yeah guiz, no racism on AT plz!

B4j6D.jpg

Moderator Challenges are not acceptable.

Administrator Idontcare

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Too bad the man wasn't Middle Eastern or Russian. Race/ethnicity/looks/etc would all be *welcome* in the the title. :D

Moderator Challenges are not acceptable.

Administrator Idontcare