Man accused of sexual battery...on live TV

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
CNN: A runner who smacked a reporter's backside on air now faces charges.

What an idiot. His apology is weak, but at least he said he was sorry I guess. No use denying, since he committed the act on live television with who knows how many local and remote witnesses.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yikes. That was pretty dumb. Would be interested to know what the consequences of conviction would be. Is this a felony? Would he go on the registry?

Feb 4, 2009
I think this is a generational thing.
I didn’t read the text cnn is slow loading on my phone but I did watch the incidents video.

My summary:
Inappropriate- yes
Consequences for employment- yes
Silly/Childish- yes
Criminal- No
Sort of funny- it’s complicated

There is a long history of people messing with other people on camera. This didn’t happen in an office place.

Nov 25, 2013
I didn’t read the text cnn is slow loading on my phone but I did watch the incidents video.

My summary:
Inappropriate- yes
Silly/Childish- yes
Criminal- No

There is a long history of people messing with other people on camera. This didn’t happen in an office place.

She's a reporter. Everywhere is her office place. It was obviously deliberate. It's not funny in the least. Do you walk around slapping bodies of people that you don't know? If he's charged, too bad, so sad.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

My summary:
Inappropriate- yes
Silly/Childish- yes
Criminal- No

Is it not criminal? That depends on your view. It is a generational thing but we aren't animals. We are conscious beings and we are always confronted with choices. He was confronted with a choice to either run past the reporter like EVERYONE ELSE, or he could do something stupid like slap her behind. He chose option 2 and it's going to cost him a lot. He's been charged with sexual battery. This one silly incident will probably affect the rest of his life. I feel bad for the reporter. This isn't 1950. You just can't do what you want and expect to get away with it anymore. And, that's a good thing IMO.

Feb 4, 2009
1) She's a reporter. Everywhere is her office place. It was obviously deliberate.
2) It's not funny in the least.
3)Do you walk around slapping bodies of people that you don't know?
4) If he's charged, too bad, so sad.

1) Sure she’s a reporter and everywhere is an office place, however not everyone is an employee

2) it’s complicated

3) Really? What do you think?

4) Sure, I just think this is a really weird instance to even want that. What in your opinion is a fair punishment.
I’m thinking potential loss of employment, potential problems finding future employment, all the family drag that comes with employment problems. Potential problems with spouse, plus thousands in costs/fines is a pretty severe punishment
**also likely ending up as a registered sex offended**

Feb 4, 2009
Is it not criminal? That depends on your view. It is a generational thing but we aren't animals. We are conscious beings and we are always confronted with choices. He was confronted with a choice to either run past the reporter like EVERYONE ELSE, or he could do something stupid like slap her behind. He chose option 2 and it's going to cost him a lot. He's been charged with sexual battery. This one silly incident will probably affect the rest of his life. I feel bad for the reporter. This isn't 1950. You just can't do what you want and expect to get away with it anymore. And, that's a good thing IMO.

Good summary, thank you.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Good summary, thank you.

Thanks man. I just watched his apology and not once did he take ownership. Not once! He should had said that he f*cked up. He didn't which is going to make this incident so much worse for him, because the reporter is going to come at him with a vegenance. It looked like he was just trying to save his career, and to avoid embarrasing his wife and 2 daughters. He is a minister, and a Boy scout leader. My guess is after today he's not going to be holding those positions.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks man. I just watched his apology and not once did he take ownership. Not once! He should had said that he f*cked up. He didn't which is going to make this incident so much worse for him, because the reporter is going to come at him with a vegenance. It looked like he was just trying to save his career, and to avoid embarrasing his wife and 2 daughters. He is a minister, and a Boy scout leader. My guess is after today he's not going to be holding those positions.

I guess that’s my point. Why would you want those punishments (as the victim) applied to someone who did that to you.
Also I’m suspicious if it will proceed, Unlike most AT posters I am not a law expert.
As I understand it public figures/celebrities are held to a higher threshold regarding stuff like this.
For example:
A woman runs up and kisses George Clooney on the cheek, she is not a sex offender
A dude hugs Katy Perry he is not a sex offender.
Those things come with celebrity. We can argue about what celebrity is and I think there is a good argument that someone who is regularly on TV is a celebrity.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I guess that’s my point. Why would you want those punishments (as the victim) applied to someone who did that to you.
Also I’m suspicious if it will proceed, Unlike most AT posters I am not a law expert.
As I understand it public figures/celebrities are held to a higher threshold regarding stuff like this.
For example:
A woman runs up and kisses George Clooney on the cheek, she is not a sex offender
A dude hugs Katy Perry he is not a sex offender.
Those things come with celebrity. We can argue about what celebrity is and I think there is a good argument that someone who is regularly on TV is a celebrity.

obviously those are quite different acts compared to a "slap and grab".

Reactions: whm1974

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Tough one, on one hand I don't think it's appropriate to ruin a man's life over a butt slap, on the other hand putting myself in woman's shoes, I'd be pretty pissed if everybody felt entitled to slap my butt like it's no big deal and I'd want some consequences too.

I think the guy should suffer consequences, I'm just not sure what they should be. I think the most effective one would be if a bunch of random strangers would periodically grab his butt/junk over the next year when he least expects it so that he would understand why it's not appropriate to do what he did. However, let's be real, it would be impossible to pull off. I'd say fine him, and have him do hundred hours of community service, maybe jail for a couple of days/week.

Reactions: HurleyBird

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This incident in isolation, to me, would not justify felony charges or becoming a registered sex offender. I think a misdemeanor charge with minimal jail time and/or civil action is warranted.

Dec 10, 2005
Tough one, on one hand I don't think it's appropriate to ruin a man's life over a butt slap, on the other hand putting myself in woman's shoes, I'd be pretty pissed if everybody felt entitled to slap my butt like it's no big deal and I'd want some consequences too.
This country is so fucked when it comes to punishment - everything is always viewed in extremes. This man should face consequences for his voluntary decision to slap another person's butt without consent. It's probably not worth jail time, but some community service and probation seems to make sense. Maybe even a class "on keeping your hands to yourself."

Side note - I don't think you meant it in this way, but a lot of these instances always frame it as "don't want to ruin a man's life", as if it has more intrinsic value than the victim's. People that are victims of harrassement and assault have to carry around that trauma, which can affect them for life.

Reactions: interchange

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Okay change hug or kiss to butt grab. Still think the result would be the same.
I would like to point out that there is a big difference between hug/kiss on the cheek and butt slap when it comes to adult interaction. Lots of cultures hug and kiss on the cheek when meeting family and friends and it is perfectly normal and acceptable, a butt slap on the other hand is always sexual in nature.

This country is so fucked when it comes to punishment - everything is always viewed in extremes. This man should face consequences for his voluntary decision to slap another person's butt without consent. It's probably not worth jail time, but some community service and probation seems to make sense. Maybe even a class "on keeping your hands to yourself."

Side note - I don't think you meant it in this way, but a lot of these instances always frame it as "don't want to ruin a man's life", as if it has more intrinsic value than the victim's. People that are victims of harrassement and assault have to carry around that trauma, which can affect them for life.
No, I did not mean it that way, I said "man's life" because perpetrator was a man, if it was woman, I would have said "woman's life".

As I said earlier, it would serve us all well if we would put ourselves in other's shoes more often. I'm sure guy thought it was not a big deal because he never had to deal with that shit, if he had things would be different.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

The victim will not be forever unemployed after this. Her life will go on. His will not, especially if registered.

Dec 10, 2005
The victim will not be forever unemployed after this. Her life will go on. His will not, especially if registered.
Like I said, punishment in this country is totally screwed up because people have pushed for an insane system in the US where we punish everything severely (unlike in Western Europe) and mark people with scarlet letters for life. But our shitty choices for shaping our criminal justice system doesn't mean he should just get off scot-free. He should face legal repercussions for his actions. This deference towards a "boys will be boys" type culture or "effects on the man's future employment prospects" is myopic and helps perpetuate this behavior.

Nov 8, 2012
Slapping random women butts as a way of sexually assaulting them is one thing.

This was a case where he wasn't doing it for that purpose - and was obviously going for more of a "shock" value...

Regardless, dumb idea - Not quite sure what the price he should pay is.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Make a public example of him like in the story of SunTzu and the concubines, men will fall into place and sexual harassment will diminish greatly, besides why should he be treated different from all the rest of the people that post a controversial photo or message on social media and end up losing their job or getting doxxed.

Besides, if you show any type of leniency or tolerance they go right back to being what they were before and deny any responsibility.

Mueller’s new boss, Delta Radio CEO Larry Fuss, defended his decision to hire the disgraced DJ in an interview with the Daily News saying, “I sat down with him face-to-face in Minneapolis before I offered him the job and talked to him about it. He’s either the world’s best liar, or he’s telling the truth. I tend to believe his version of the story and most people who have talked to him face-to-face do believe his version of the story.”

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I would think a hefty fine would do. Something to deter him or someone else from doing it.