Male "enhancement" pills, how do they work?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I remember reading the only "true" way to actually increase the size of a penis is through surgery.

Isn't there some tribe in Africa that hangs heavy weights from it, causing it to stretch?

Oh, and save your money - read the fine print at the bottom of the commercial: "we aren't specifically claiming that our product works. It's never been proven to work or tested by credible agencies. Results may vary - [meaning, we think it might help someone, somewhere, eventually]"

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Rule of thumb: If it's advertised only at 4am and in spam email, it does not work.

Jun 27, 2005
how do they work?

It's simple really... there is a whole class of insecure males who are worried about what their potential mates will think about their penis. These men will pay anything to avoid embarrasment not realizing that once it gets to the point that a woman actually wants to come in contact with their penis it doesn't matter... So, they fork over tons of cash to a pseudofarmacal company for a pill that is commonly referred to as a plecebo. This pill gives them a big smile, a firm handshake and tons of confidence.

Who's to say it isn't worth the money? :D:beer:

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
the only way that i can think that it might work is like steroids or growth hormones like testosterone.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Anatomy of the Penis

anatomy The anatomy of the penis is complex. It is comprised primarily of two cylinders of sponge-like vascular tissue that fill with blood to create an erection. Blood is pumped into the penis under great pressure and a series of valves keep it in the penis to maintain the erection. A third cylinder is the urethra, a tube that carries the urine and the ejaculate. The knobby head of the penis is called the glans. Blood flows to the penis by two very small arteries that come from the Aorta. These arteries are the same size as the arteries to your finger. The main problem that causes impotence is that the blood vessels become blocked and the blood can not get to the penis. The other major problem is leakage of blood from the penis into the veins around the penis called a venous leak. This is very common, similar to a hole in a tire. The larger the hole the more air that needs to be pumped into the tire to keep it hard!

See also: Ejaculatory Disorders

Penile Enlargement

The enlargement of the penis by surgery is twofold. The procedure to lengthen the penis is by cutting the suspensory ligament. This gives the appearance of a longer penis but does not actually increase its length. It also makes the penis more unstable during intercourse and, in due course, more susceptible to injury. The other method of enlargement is by liposuction of tissue from one part of the body and injecting it around the penis to create a fatter penis. This gives the appearance of a fat, wide penis but not longer. These procedures are not recommended and have very high complication rates.

Physiology of Erection - How the Penis Works

The creation of an erection is an extremely complicated cascade of events that requires many different things to happen. There are numerous chemical transmitters involved in this including epinephrine, norepinephrine, acetylcholine, prostaglandins and nitric oxide. The exact mechanism by which erection occurs is still unclear but we do know that the neural input from the brain is extremely important. Reflex erections, as seen in people with cord damage such as paraplegics, are often poor erections and not sustainable for prolonged periods of intercourse.

An erection occurs when the nervous system activates a rapid increase in blood flow. The vascular muscle in the spongy area becomes engorged with blood and the outflow of blood is cut off. An erection can occur as a reflex as we see in spinal cord patients, or can be caused by psychogenic (originating in the mind) stimulation. Numerous sexual stimuli are processed by the brain and transmitted to the penis via the nervous system.

In order to increase the size of an erection, there must be an increase in blood flow and, at the same time, the blood has to be prevented from leaving the penis.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
^^ all you guys speaking from experience? :laugh:

"it doesn't work :("

ppdes

May 16, 2004
It's funny that they have hormones that can make men grow breasts, but not any to make their member grow, heh.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I remember reading the only "true" way to actually increase the size of a penis is through surgery.

I read somewhere that persistent stretching will do the trick for any skin, sort of like those people with friggin bike tires in their earlobes or g***se. I guess the nitty gritty of it is it's supposed to be like milking a cow... I haven't seen the need to try though ;)

Originally posted by: ppdes
It's funny that they have hormones that can make men grow breasts, but not any to make their member grow, heh.

Logical deduction. If it worked, it would be ALL OVER THE PLACE! Men around the world would rejoice. Wars would end. Asian countries would dedicate national holidays (*rimshot*). It wouldn't only be advertised in seedy magazines, on websites and in spam email.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Dude, you just admitted to the whole wide world that you have a really small Wii!
Want pic?
Does your camera have macro mode? We can't have any blurry pics you know.

Originally posted by: CKent
Rule of thumb: If it's advertised only at 4am and in spam email, it does not work.
What if Billy Mays advertises it? :D

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
1) You give them money.
2) They give you pills.
3) You take pills.
4) Nothing happens.
5) ...
6) Profit! (for them)

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
how do they work?

It's simple really... there is a whole class of insecure males who are worried about what their potential mates will think about their penis. These men will pay anything to avoid embarrasment not realizing that once it gets to the point that a woman actually wants to come in contact with their penis it doesn't matter... So, they fork over tons of cash to a pseudofarmacal company for a pill that is commonly referred to as a plecebo. This pill gives them a big smile, a firm handshake and tons of confidence.

Initially fabricated with the ATOT crowd in mind.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
What if Billy Mays advertises it? :D
It would be the dirtiest wang on earth. Homeless men who haven't bathed since the 1970s would be thinking "my god, how does a wang get half that dirty?" He would then wipe it clean with one quick stroke and loudly tell us that a clean wang is a big wang, and we can have one too for only $14.99 :confused:

God, I've been watching too much late night TV :(

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
the commercials talk about enhancement, but say nothing about increasing the size. I work at a liquor store and my boss sells all kinds of energy/enhancement pills. He has these ones called Livero3(sp?) they are 10 bucks a pop *ouch* I bought a couple, and they definitely enhanced my bed skills for those few sessions. 10 bucks a session worth? I don't think so. But it was cool to try :)

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
A while back the Wall Street Journal did a chemical analysis of many of these pills. Their finding? Most are > 80% fecal matter.