Malariacontrol.net needs your help!

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
This message is for all those who have an account at MC.net.

Malariacontrol.net released a second app a while ago, due to stability problems, they had to further work on it, now they have troubles to reach the deadline for submitting the results of that new app (other scientists depend on them).

Please move a few computers over and give both malariacontrol and our team a push.

You can select in your mc.net settings to get only the "map" WUs they need as quickly as possible.

Read more about it here: http://www.malariacontrol.net/forum_thread.php?id=466

thanks!

EDIT: Attention: the app has no checkpointing and no completition % (takes around 13min on a 4600+ X2)

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I haven't run malaria for quite a while but this is def a reason to. Just switched over a Dual XEON 2.4 to run mc map wu's exclusively.

RobertE

May 14, 2005
Got my C2D 6320, P4 2.8 & Sempy 2800 running 1/3 share now along with Rosetta & Einstein. :p

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
I wouldn't mind revisiting MC as a TAS project. It was fun then, and would be again. :thumbsup:

-jim

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I tried to join, but BOINC says they're not accepting new accounts?

Why would they ask for help, and disable new accounts? :confused:

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
they would have to upgrade their servers to support the additional load, furthermore they say:
The reason is that it is hard to find a good optimization algorithm in an environment which is highly parallel and where the turnaround time for workunits is relatively long and highly variable. This means that the gain from computing more workunits in parallel is not very great at the moment as we have hit the limit of parallelization of what we are trying to do. Therefore we will only open for more users once:
-We can further improve the optimization algorithm, or
-We have a more simulation runs to run simultaneously, or
-Performance drops because of user attrition.