"Making them lame ducks is enough for me"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAGCgY4PDNA

Nancy Pelosi says no impeachment if/when the Dems take control of the house. Holy cow! They were paying attention a few years back!

Now for the fun question... with statements like that will Pelosi be elected speaker?

(A lot of what ifs here... the Dems still have to win first)

No, she won't be elected speaker. The Dems won't have the majority to worry about it :D

Pelosi represents about 12% of the country ... you know, the San Fran liberals. Even many of her fellow Dems find her too extreme.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAGCgY4PDNA

Nancy Pelosi says no impeachment if/when the Dems take control of the house. Holy cow! They were paying attention a few years back!

Now for the fun question... with statements like that will Pelosi be elected speaker?

(A lot of what ifs here... the Dems still have to win first)

No, she won't be elected speaker. The Dems won't have the majority to worry about it :D

Pelosi represents about 12% of the country ... you know, the San Fran liberals. Even many of her fellow Dems find her too extreme.

I shall save this Pabster.........if Pelosi does become speaker you'll have quite a bit of egg on your face.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
While very few people doubt that Bush should be impeached and thrown in jail for the rest of his miserable life, from a pure political point of view the Democrats will be fools to try and impeach him. However, I would still support it as Americans deserve to see the crimes and misdemeanors of Bush and his junta.

Here are my expectations:

- Democrats win the House, and maybe the Senate
- Rumsfeld resigns because he will be the first in line to be blamed for the Iraqi/Afghanistan disasters
- Huge effort is undertaken by the Bush old guard to save Bush Junior (one can see the beginnings of that effort now: Baker and the other heavy artillery)
- Cheney gets blamed for everything, he's even more hated than Bush and he'll be a safe bet to channel the rage away from Bush

Or I could be totally wrong :)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You call James Baker "heavy artillery"? ROFL! :laugh:

It is amazing how liberals can beat the hell out of a guy for years and change on a dime ...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
You call James Baker "heavy artillery"? ROFL! :laugh:

It is amazing how liberals can beat the hell out of a guy for years and change on a dime ...

the current administration could learn something from them ;) stay the course FTL.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
One may can Baker heavy artillery---I prefer to think of him as a old war horse.

Nor will I prejudge his bi-partisan plan---if it produces some positive results after the election--we can argue long and hard on the DEMs or the GOP being the big winners or losers.

But the test is will if the American or Iraqi people benefit?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
We have right-wingers here who said that the democrats absolutely will impeach Bush if they win. I don't expect to see retractions, unfortunately. I disagree with Pelosi on this; I think impeachment should be on the table if high crimes are found by Congress - but she has taken her position.
Craig, based on your post why would anyone want to retract a thing? You make the case yourself that despite what she says you want to impeach.

Now John Conners<SP?> will run the judicial committee and he wants to investigate and impeach, and I don't think Pelosi can stop him in that committee.

Like I said before.
1. Impeachment IS a waste because they will never get the 2/3 to kick him out.
2. They would have to spend months investigating just to find something to impeach him with, if they even find something.
3. By then we start to close in on 2008 and the Republican have a great issue: "we are at war with terrorists, but the Democrats are more interested in investigating the President than going after terrorists."

Pelosi is right :gag: they are better off trying to "correct" what they see are the mistakes of Bush and set the Democrats up for a Presidential run in 2008.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
There is something that transends the Political sides in this issue and that is JUSTICE. I don't much care if it is a waste of time and money... Folks died ... US and Iraqi.. and others... IF this Administration violated the UN Charter (Treaty) then it did.. and Bush and the rest of the covered members should be Impeached and if that Sorta Grand Jury finds cause they must send to the Senate.. IF not then the People should see this and not hold Bush in low esteem over it..

The UN may waive and the Hague may waive and the Justice Dept may waive.. but the House of Representitives must find the truth and do so by illuminating the facts.... what ever they may show.. IT is blatently unfair for Bush to be called a murder (by me or anyone) with out all the relevant facts.. thus far we have some.. and enough for me to utter harsh words toward Bush et. al.. but I want Justice...

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
Much as my very being craves retaliation against the GOP for their bl*wjob based impeachment, Pelosi is 100% correct here. While there are grounds to impeach this Bush, it would be playing into the hands of the neocons. No impeachment would be successful and would certainly weaken the public's impression of the Democratic Party (and politicians in general, if possible). The Dems need to concenctrate on repairing the damage Bush has done to this great country and preventing him from harming it worse during the remaining months of his last term.

Exactly, if the Democrats win the house (and they have a very good chance of doing that), the Republicans will want them to try to impeach Bush. There is no chance of getting enough votes in the Senate even if by some miracle they end up with the majority at 51-49 (which is very unlikely), so Bush remains in office and the GOP can use the "Democrats are whiners" excuse. Plus, it's not like Bush's approval ratings can dip that much lower. Oh they'll do enough damage to Bush's agenda by winning the house. That I am sure of. But they won't do something so fringe like trying to impeach Clinton with a 73% approval rating. Talk about out of touch with the people.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If the Democrats rose above their baser instincts, my opinion of the party as a whole would rise. Unfortunately for every intelligent Democrat:
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Unlike the retarded Republican lynch mob, Democrats appear to have a modicum of common sense.

There's nothing to be gained by impeaching Bush. His record of 'achievements' will be tied to the GOP for decades. There should certainly be a full accounting of just how dysfunctional and dishonest government has been during the Bush!t Era, though.

Bush will be Nixon without the benefit of ever rehabilitating his reputation.

there is also a knuckle dragger who insists on making sure that Democrats continue to slither around in the primordial ooze with their Republican brethren:
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Heh...I just posed something of the same question in a different thread. Peronally, I hope that IF the Dems do take control of the House, they do some serious looking into possible articles of impeachment...and IF they can find enough hard evidence, that they procede with it...Granted, unless the Dems take hard control of the Senate, (not that many seats up for grab IIRC) then there wouldn't be a conviction, but WTH, I'd settle for that. We've had to endure the same from the Repigs for the past ~8 years since Clinton was impeached (but not convicted) It's time for a little payback...and YES, I KNOW we'd rub their noses in it every chance we got, just like they've done to our side...

Aren't you the intelligent one. Repigs. That's delightful. Glad to see Democrats are so much more refined than Republicans. :roll:

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
All thru the Bush history, especially for GW, someone ELSE has had to clean up their mess. Bush should not be impeached. The NEW congress should MAKE HIM clean up his mess for a change.

Bush "clean up the mess" to do list (makes a great sticky):

First. Fire Rumsfeld.
Second. Go after & get Bin Laden once and for all.
Third. Phase out the troops and let Iraq solve their own affairs (come what may).

And find out what exactly Cheney was doing in holding secret meetings behind closed doors, on writing the energy policy.

That alone should keep GW busy for his two last years.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Never mind impeachment. Get his ass before the Hague along with the rest of his administration.

Hillary signing the papers to extradite the Chosen One and restoring balance to The Force? :D

Of course that would set a precedent so that she and succeding presidents would not be above the decisions of this court either but she might be willing to overlook that FOR GREAT JUSTICE!:p