Making sure the Roku Digital Video player gets the bandwidth it needs.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
How should I set things up?

I currently have the router set on top of my computer case on my desk with both antennas pointing up and using wifi channel 11. The Roku box is on a shelf by the tv. About 10FT from the router.

I'm using OpenDNS on the router.

I have QoS setup. I hope it's setup right....Under Basic Settings I have unchecked ACK. Set default class to lowest. Outbound Rate Max Bandwidth to 1000 kbit/s & Inbound Limit Max Bandwidth to 6000 kbit/s.

Under classifications I added the src mac of the Roku box and set the class to highest.

All the other Tomato QoS settings haven't been changed.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

One small annoyance is the microwave is right across where the living room is and when being used for more than a few minutes will kill the wifi signal, however that was on channel 6. I haven't tested it on channel 11. Again it's just a small annoyance.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Seems right. Just remember that QoS only guarantees bandwidth while in your home network, once it hits the modem you are at the mercy of your isp.

Microwave ovens use the same frequency as wifi @ 2.4Ghz, so it isn't unusual that it would interfere being that close. Microwave ovens are required to have very low leakage, lower than that of a cell phones output power. Double check the door on the oven to make sure it is closing tight just in case.