making money of shuttle disaster

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Rally1
similar auction

One could argue if there is a demand, but I wouldn't.

You could buy that same patch at SpaceCenter Houston for about 3 bucks. PT Barnum said it best "There is a sucker born every minute"

Death, destruction and terror sells. Why else would you still see magazines with Princess Diana on the cover, her assistants writing tell all books, Elvis spottings at 7-11's, the purchasing of American flags made in China after 9-11....rubberneckers delaying traffic to look at a grisly accident

bottom line is death sells

That being said. I think that the person that attempted to sell part of the Columbia debris should be flogged within an inch of their life.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare
similar auction

One could argue if there is a demand, but I wouldn't.

You could buy that same patch at SpaceCenter Houston for about 3 bucks. PT Barnum said it best "There is a sucker born every minute"

Death, destruction and terror sells. Why else would you still see magazines with Princess Diana on the cover, her assistants writing tell all books, Elvis spottings at 7-11's, the purchasing of American flags made in China after 9-11....rubberneckers delaying traffic to look at a grisly accident

bottom line is death sells

That being said. I think that the person that attempted to sell part of the Columbia debris should be flogged within an inch of their life.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
I hope I am in the majority in thinking that after a situation like this you should not be trying to make money off the suffering of others.

We have all heard the reports of people selling off supposed pieces of the shuttle that fell to earth. But what do you think of an eBay auction like this: selling tiles

My opion, but I don't think that is in good taste, but i'd like to hear from people who disagree.

check out the pic....was he stealing the pic from someone's site?

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
LOL....looks like he's not only trying to make money off of the situation, he's too cheap to host his own pics.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: boi
I thought those tiles were expensive? On the discovery channel, it said that each tile costs over $10,000!!:Q

That would make the cost of tiles alone on each shuttle over $200 million.

:p chunk change

the shuttle as a whole costs 2.1Billion

BigJimbo

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2002
im sick of hearing people complain how people capitalize off merchandise they bought, paid for, found or what ever they did to get the product just b/c it has to do with something like this...you are not gonna tell me if you had this cointhat you would NOT try and sell it for an easy 13g? your crazy to someone its not just a coin with the shuttle on it its a coin that has a value to them.

are you also gonna tell me that if you have a doll that is worth 10 cents one day then 40 million dollars the next b/c a factory blew up with people in it you wouldnt sell that? if you dont then i obviously has more value to you than any money has.

im sick of those stupid commercials about the astronauts....they died doing their job and that makes them heros? what about the construction workers who die on a job sites, pilots in a airline crash, or even a taxi driver that dies in a car accident...are they heros? do they get commercials honoring them? NO so why the f- do some stupid astronauts get soo much f-ing publicity over an accident...they are not heros..

ill prob get reamed by all you people but this is my opinion and im entitled to that

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
im sick of hearing people complain how people capitalize off merchandise they bought, paid for, found or what ever they did to get the product just b/c it has to do with something like this...you are not gonna tell me if you had this cointhat you would NOT try and sell it for an easy 13g? your crazy to someone its not just a coin with the shuttle on it its a coin that has a value to them.
I'm fine with merchandise like that. However, if people are selling actual pieces from the shuttle that just crashed, I believe our government should have the power to interrogate the sh!t out of them.